RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Truck Building Tech

Truck Building Tech Covers mechanical and electrical components for truck modeling

Old 03-03-2016, 08:05 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AWD, worth it or not?

Izzy's daycab inspired me to build a Tamiya 2 speed with all the upgrades. So far I have bought the brass helical gears, stainless synchronizers, aluminum case and aluminum heat sink end plates. Not everything is here yet though. There are only two other upgrades I can think of, a new longer shaft so you can drive off both ends of the trans mission and a PMD 4:1 reduction. I shouldn't have spent all of this on this transmission, I should have just bought a Veroma 3 speed with built in transfer case and had a better transmission.

I did have a hair brain idea, what if you had the longer shaft and a reception on each end of the transmission? Would be cool, but too long and too expensive. Again Veroma!

And here is the Veroma;
Old 03-03-2016, 01:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: AWD, worth it or not?

Great Decision...Veroma is the way to GO ! Top of the line.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Have they improved the Veroma gbox? I know of people who've had trouble when using it in trucks pulling heavy dumptrailers.

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I have never had any troubles but I have always babied my truck.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

My Veroma is in my Wedico, thinking about putting one in a Tamiya.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

AWD is definitely worth it if your going to run off road loaded or empty. If your going to build it and put it on a shelf or run it on pavement only on dry sunny days don't bother it's not worth the cost and build time.
Another less expensive but very strong option is using an Axial SCX10 transmission as your transfer case, you can pick them up on eBay for around $40.00. That gives you a 3:1 reduction. Connect it to the 3 speed as shown below. The stock silver can works fine and I wouldn't go any deeper than a 55 turn motor. I've hauled some pretty heavy loads on this with a heaping dump box and it runs through sandy soil with ease.

Note the GRU in this photo was removed and I've never ran it in this or any other truck.

This is one fun truck to drive!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Snowman3725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
If you want away from those bolts holding the case together you can buy an aluminum case that replaces the plastic one. I have one of these, there is no bolts in it at all. $65.00 on the ole eBay.

Perfect! I'll space the trans up 3/4 of an inch and use the case. That will give me plenty of room for the shaft going to the front to clear under the trans. Anyone ever used the rc4wd bullet 3 speed transfer case? I'm curious about the gearing. It says 1st is 1:1 and second is 1:9:1 gear reduced and 3rd is 2wd 1:1 Why would 2nd be lower than first?
Old 03-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman3725 View Post
Perfect! I'll space the trans up 3/4 of an inch and use the case. That will give me plenty of room for the shaft going to the front to clear under the trans. Anyone ever used the rc4wd bullet 3 speed transfer case? I'm curious about the gearing. It says 1st is 1:1 and second is 1:9:1 gear reduced and 3rd is 2wd 1:1 Why would 2nd be lower than first?
Because it is not a true 3 speed it is a high low 4wd and high 2wd. Its a diconnect for when 4wd is not needed.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 03-03-2016, 10:34 PM
Snowman3725

Thanks Travis, I understand how it works, it's perfect for what I want to do, will give me 6 gears when coupled to a stock tamiya 3 speed with the option to go 2/4wd
Old 03-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Snowman3725

Simple question to make sure I got my gear ratios right. 1:9 would be 1 turn input equals 9 turns output. Wouldn't that increase the output speed 9 times? If it's a true reduction gear shouldn't it be 9:1 instead of 1:9?
Old 03-03-2016, 10:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The six speed concept is a cool idea but I don't think that transfercase is going to let you shift on the fly by any means. If you are wanting to replicate the old truck transmissions your effort is going to be lost in translation with that setup. Just my opinion.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:09 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

http://store.rc4wd.com/Bullet-3-Spee...se_p_3259.html

That would be 1.9:1, as in 1.9 turns input to 1 turn output.

Joe
Old 03-03-2016, 11:48 PM
Snowman3725

I'm glad someone is paying attention.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman3725 View Post
Thanks Travis, I understand how it works, it's perfect for what I want to do, will give me 6 gears when coupled to a stock tamiya 3 speed with the option to go 2/4wd
I've only seen it in one truck, but that one had alot of slack. Add the slack in the stock gb, and it will be difficult to operate smoothly in terrain/ backing up to loading ramps.
Does anyone have other experiences?

Construction site on Facebook:

Pictures on Instagram: