RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

We walked up the planks, Scott,Ed and my son Mike all helped. Scott and Mike had to squeeze the shoes to the planks like when I stepped on the shoe in the video for traction. I had a low voltage problem too going up and couldn't get the cams to lift the machine,probably because we ran a little cord over 50' because we didn't have our own drop from the ceiling yet. Two of my buddies, one who worked on real draglines for years sat by and watched. They said; "when ever your ready Steve let us know I guess they wanted to help lift it up there
I'm going to do the math and see how I can remedy the hoist problem. I think I'm running right on the borderline with the current draw. When the point sheave is made it will be 3-5/8''dia. vs the 1-1/5'' one now that should help some. The dirt we had was really heavy too. I definitely need to make the cleats on the shoes and it should walk nicely on dirt then.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Many thanks to all who posted links to the GREAT videos of this dragline. This show will have to be on my list of things to go to next year. Your dragline is one of the most impressive builds that I can think of.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1cat View Post
Many thanks to all who posted links to the GREAT videos of this dragline. This show will have to be on my list of things to go to next year. Your dragline is one of the most impressive builds that I can think of.
Thanks for the compliment. Now you know you should have tried to make it.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

very awsome pics and video of your dragline awsome work
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

[QUOTE=I'm going to do the math and see how I can remedy the hoist problem. I think I'm running right on the borderline with the current draw. When the point sheave is made it will be 3-5/8''dia. vs the 1-1/5'' one now that should help some. The dirt we had was really heavy too.[/QUOTE]

Well I removed the hoist motor this evening and found my culprit. On the shaft that runs from the hoist motor across to the pinion that drives the big gear on the hoist drum there was a key missing and the set screws backed out some and the motor shaft was slipping inside of the bore. It used to be pressed on slightly too. I think this problem goes all the way back to August when the bucket was dropping (with dirt) unexpectedly. This wasn't noticeable here in my shop while just practicing operation with no load. Also when we're at a show there's so much noise you can't hear whats happening. In my shop no radio or heater going, I powered the hoist then grabbed the drum stalling it and while looking at a amp meter saw the motor only was drawing 0.6 amps and I could hear it running. I fixed the key tightened the set screws then tried again and with some adjustments to my DC drive I was able to stall the drum at about 1amp and that nearly takes your hand off trying. So I guess it will work fine for the next outing. I also need to fix some missing bolts on the drag drum jaw clutch because it's slipping some under a heavy pull into hard soil. Right now it's just pressed in. I'm surprised it hasn't given out completely. I guess for now I'm finding all the missing parts from such a long build.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Good to hear it was a easy fix. Thanks for pics and videos from last weekend. If (when) my D8 is ready I may build a dragline, have always thought that boom had to be in steel but you have showed that brass is ok.
Dan
Old 01-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear it was not a major problem steve. Guess it could have been worse. To bad it had to happen at the show but I guess there is no good time for a break-down.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Green Horn

grumpygrady is on a distinguished road

http://coaldiver.org/photos/navajo-mine-new-mexico

here are a few pictures from lee ranch in new mexico
sorry these are from navajo mine in north new mexico
i am still looking for some lee ranch pictures

Last edited by grumpygrady; 01-23-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpygrady View Post
http://coaldiver.org/photos/navajo-mine-new-mexico

here are a few pictures from lee ranch in new mexico
sorry these are from navajo mine in north new mexico
i am still looking for some lee ranch pictures
I've seen this machine before. Look at the bucket, very strange setup- Chains inside, single dump rope, but has normal twin hoist and drag on a machine this size. I think there was a discussion about this machine on Stripmine.org
Old 01-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I sure would like to get back on the drag but I have some paying side work that's piled up and need to get to it. Maybe next week I can continue. Next step is to finish the boom point and make the walkway and hand rail,safety cable brackets, boom lights,deflection sheaves. I think I'll make sure I have the boom totally complete before moving on. It's so hard to pick up where you left off and I know if I don't put the walkway on now I'll never
Old 02-04-2011, 08:20 AM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about

Wow, the boom looks great, Steve. The video of it working was great to watch.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtpusher9 View Post
Wow, the boom looks great, Steve. The video of it working was great to watch.
Man, It's nice to see you've climbed back out of the woodwork Joe!
Still wish you could have made the trip. I still have a lot of work to do on the boom which I'll get back on soon. I just sandwiched a piece of wood in the point to hold the sheave and make it usable.
We were a big hit there. A guy stopped and told me that the digging PIT was worth his admission to the show. The guy who puts on the show told me that he had many compliments about the construction machines and he's going to supply us with more dirt next year. Also this was a record attendance show of over 5000+ people thru the door.
I know we will have more machines next time with Scott busy with the Units and his hauling fleet. Ed will have his Excavator ready, Steve will have the scraper ready we hope, and I have a couple small builds in the works.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:19 AM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about

Hope to be there with a D9 and 463 as well. That would be fun and I'll keep you a good level spot for your dragline.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

We still have summer shows to attend and of course INDY. I think Toy Trucker is willing to supply the dirt this time in a tent outside. Not sure yet but they are thinking about it.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Man, It's nice to see you've climbed back out of the woodwork Joe!
Still wish you could have made the trip. I still have a lot of work to do on the boom which I'll get back on soon. I just sandwiched a piece of wood in the point to hold the sheave and make it usable.
We were a big hit there. A guy stopped and told me that the digging PIT was worth his admission to the show. The guy who puts on the show told me that he had many compliments about the construction machines and he's going to supply us with more dirt next year. Also this was a record attendance show of over 5000+ people thru the door.
I know we will have more machines next time with Scott busy with the Units and his hauling fleet. Ed will have his Excavator ready, Steve will have the scraper ready we hope, and I have a couple small builds in the works.
yes I will + the 40 I would've been there with it had I not had to load my 307 for the last time . oh well it got me another toy . joe it good to see you popping up here and there .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

Couldnt remember where you were basing your M9 off of. I found a link to a group and a guy from Edmonton, Alberta that has footage on his youtube. it would be a 10-11 hour drive for me to go there lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxirG6odhgQ&hd=1

facebook group - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Diggin...8225483?v=wall

once again not sure if this is what your modeling off of. but vantagetes claims its 1 of 2 built.

this is a 9W in action i found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OoXu3FK7lc
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Stuff; 02-06-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Steve, did not realize that I have been looking at a real 9W until I saw that movie. Pic bellow was taken spring 2006 when a group was visiting the coal fields of PA. Don´t know the exact location now but maybee it was one shown in video.

Here´s another pic from same coal mine

Dan
Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Steve, did not realize that I have been looking at a real 9W until I saw that movie. Pic bellow was taken spring 2006 when a group was visiting the coal fields of PA. Don´t know the exact location now but maybee it was one shown in video.

Here´s another pic from same coal mine

Dan
Yes Dan I know those machines. That old 9W is named "JILL"
and the one from one of my videos is "JACK" They came from Jeddo Coal in Hazelton,PA. In the pit is Jeddo's Marion 8700 and on top is their B-E 1450. The two 9W's were walked over a mountain to another mine, Hazelton Shaft, where that picture was taken. I've been on that machine too for some measurements. Both machines are restored and are operating now. I need to get out there soon for some more sizes only thing, they're 290miles away. Look over those Bennettshovel videos on youtube. Walter has several of those machines in his video collection.

Last edited by 9W Monighan; 02-07-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Time to get back at it I'm starting to acclimate myself with my drawings again after a couple months so I can fabricate the boom point parts.

My dog
Old 02-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

aww the puppy thinks its an axle
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -