RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road
Default 6 Channel Pistol Grip Radio

Hello Spektrum has come out with a new 6 channel pistol grip radio For $499 and a $ 10.00 discount right now. Now you can run your truck with pistol grip radio and not a bulky box radio. It has a lot of features. Ed
Old 11-23-2016, 12:52 PM

blitzk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6 Channel Pistol Grip Radio

I run pistol grips on all 5 of my trucks, I have 3 Spektrum controllers and this Flysky, which is an eight channel that seems to work very good so far.http://www.banggood.com/Dasmikro-Cus...mds=mywishlist

Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:41 AM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road

Hey folks,

I have a question and I haven't found the answer online yet so hopefully you all can help? I'm running a 4 channel pistol grip Sanwa radio. I love it and am heavily invested in it so it's not feasible to change to a different brand. I'm also committed to driving with a wheel, as opposed to a stick. I plan on getting an MFC unit for my semi and am aware that I will lose out on some of the remote features of the unit since I'm only running a 4 channel pistol grip. But is there a way around losing those features?

Are there other alternatives to get the full features of the MFC in my situation? For example, I would LOVE to see a small add-on tx/rx with some basic switches to control lights, starting/stopping the engine, etc. But I don't know that something like that exists.

I really hope to use my Sanwa tx/rx, but if that isn't feasible I will follow blitzk's lead and run the FlySky setup.

Also, I've been researching the MFC unit and didn't realize it included an ESC. That helps make the lofty price a bit more manageable! But is the ESC worth a darn? I will be converting my truck to all wheel drive for some mild crawling where low speed control is key. I plan to add some gear reduction (how is TBD at the moment), but I'm hoping the ESC is decent enough!

Thanks for any and all feedback!
Tommy
Old 01-06-2017, 09:24 AM

sneff is on a distinguished road

In my experience there are a few problems that happen with the mfu when the radio does not have analog trims which are used to work the functions of the MFU. I have seen videos of people using spektrum stick radios with digital trims but it seemed confusing to me on how to get the MFU functions to work.
Another problem I have run into is trying to use a higher turn crawler motor ie: 35t, 45t, 55t etc is the engine sound does not sync properly with the speed of the truck.
Im sure there are ways to go about it but I just got tired of trying to figure it out.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:34 AM
Green Horn

No kidding? That's a bummer about using a crawler motor and how it doesn't tie in properly with the engine sounds. I was planning on a 55t motor (if not slower) for mine. Now I may need to reconsider.

There's several features I'd be happy to give up with an MFC. For example, I don't need to remotely operate the lights. I'd be happy to flip a switch on the truck. I also don't care too much about having a horn. I think I'd be happy just being able to start/stop the truck remotely and to be able to shift the transmission. Not sure if there's any other MFC functions I'd really miss all that much. I really just want the sound and vibration.

Can the functions of the MFC be activated via the control box within the side steps, like operating all the lights?
Old 01-06-2017, 05:04 PM

Yes the switches on the control box can operate the lights.
Almost sounds like you shouldn't waste your money on the MFU. There are other sound systems and light setups that are available.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneff View Post
Yes the switches on the control box can operate the lights.
Almost sounds like you shouldn't waste your money on the MFU. There are other sound systems and light setups that are available.
That could be very true! I've been trying to learn more about my options, but it's tough since I don't know the reputations/quality of what's out there. Do you have any other options for sound/lights and possibly vibration that I should consider?

Thanks!
Tommy
Old 01-06-2017, 06:26 PM

No problem. Happy to help.

I always struggle when I get to that part of my builds. Can be very confusing.