RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:32 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Is this hobby dying in the US?

Just curious what people think. Is this hobby dying in the United States or is this website slowing down? Seems like when I joined here in 2010 there were new truck builds or updates every day now it seems so slow. Used to be the vendors on this site were coming up with new custom products all the time. Also noticed people selling off their trucks and equipment.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:27 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is this hobby dying in the US?

I think FaceBook has a lot to do with it. I stayed away from it for years. Thought the same way you do so I finally signed up and found a lot of people on there every day that used to be on here every day. I do know that some of the builders on here have had "life changing situations" that have taken them away from the hobby or slowed way back and that's their business and we'll leave it at that.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:56 AM
Green Horn

bigdogrod is on a distinguished road

i also think this hobby has gotten so expensive, it's hard to continue after a while. 4,000 for a plastic and metal toy is a lot of money for the vast majority of people i think. and some folks don't realize that you NEVER get out of anything, especially a minor sector of the hobby scene, what you put into things....
Old 12-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Green Horn

wolfws6 is on a distinguished road

The cost is whats killing me. I'm so ready to build another truck. Most people don't have a clue on how much this stuff cost. I get all the time, "hey you sell me that truck for for $500 bucks. I got like $2300 and a million hours to make this. Also I don't want to sell it to build another one. Also Faceplant and Instagram has taken alot of users away from traditional forums.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:08 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

I defiantly agree about the cost of the construction models, in that respect I can much more easily justify $10K for a used 1:1 piece of construction equipment that I could use around my place than $5K for a new RC toy that I think I would not use much at all (that doesn't mean I don't think the toys are cool). But everybody wants different things out of life and money. As for the hobby I enjoy building a truck or two and watching what others build on this forum but have no real interest in going to RC shows and driving a truck around, I know, that's kind of weird.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:41 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

It's always been an expensive hobby so I don't know if that's it. I hate to say it but since I joined Crackbook a few months ago I post pictures here way less. IMO this site needs an upgrade or it is going to die. We have new people joining all of the time and the first thing they try to do is post pictures of their build or builds. It rarely ever works out because not everyone uses an online storage for their photos(I know I wouldn't if it weren't for RCT&C) and they have to set one up. Maybe not that difficult for most but it is a turn off if you are new and only want to post a picture or two to test the waters. I don't know the ins and outs of it and I know it costs more but this is the only forum I have ever posted on that I can't post pictures directly from my PC. It seems to me that it's a pain using Photobucket or whatever even for us long-term people because it often has glitches ect. I love this site and I want to see it continue to grow! I think the hobby is gaining ground in North America, we are just not seeing it here unfortunately.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:49 PM
Craftsman

Snochaser will become famous soon enoughSnochaser will become famous soon enough

I'm still going strong, just don't post as much. Just have a little lull do to me building a new home. Like Reg said it's gaining momentum in North America I believe. I've also noticed people build quietly then reveal their builds at shows as surprises.
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343
Old 12-21-2016, 05:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

I thought it was more of an economy thing.
The usa still hasn't actually recovered from the recession of 2008 since we didn't let it correct, everyone's paying more for worse insurance, inflation...
It's harder to pull up the disposable income for toys when more is being kept from you.

On the up side, europe is sucking too, and the exchange rate for euro is about even with the dollar right now. So it's a good time to buy euro kits.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:59 PM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

I'm enjoying this new to me hobby (3 years) I've built 4 trucks working on the 5th . They all have been kit bashed and modified . Price wise I keep hunting around and this site has been the best to get a decent deal on and I trust people here . I agree with hobbies slowing down for whatever reason but I think it's all around , I know that with my trains . I also agree with Reg RCP it's no fun trying to load a pic on this site , Mario helped a lot but to many steps , Facebook boom it's there . Photobucket has a burp and nothing works anymore and I'm one who won't spend hours trying to figure out my computer when I can be modelling . I also agree lots of long time builders seem to have disappeared ,and I learn from them . This past summer was great as my wife and I met a bunch of great guys for a swell weekend playing trucks . I think this hobby will pick up faster then trains ,as there is still a human touch to a truck (you can talk to a truck driver and he won't call the cops like a ail road will) I love building a model of a truck I see in town then showing to driver and seeing his reaction that is fun ! Merry Christmas to all Mike
Old 12-21-2016, 08:25 PM
Apprentice

jack van is on a distinguished road

times change myself i like to do it and i have the money hehe but the time i spend doing this is relaxing to me .i have 1 truck so close to running and i have had it for a year atleast but i keep adding things to it lol i also got another truck in the box ready to build and 2 trailers in mid build 1 is dump trailer and other is screening plant
Old 12-21-2016, 08:26 PM
Apprentice

jack van is on a distinguished road

at this pace i have years of fun ahead of me lol
Old 12-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

yes the forum has changed over the last few years and things might seem to be dying down but it actually means things are growing and expanding.
The hobby is in a fractured state. With more interest new ways of reaching more people was inevitable. Facebook, Instagram....etc.
So the big group that was all gathered up in great forums like this one has now branched out into new forms of exposure.

I know, it sucks in a way. I miss the way things were 3-4 yrs ago on this site but also cool to see what is happening with the hobby in the big picture.

Also sad I find myself on a hobby leave of absence so to speak probably till spring it's hard to be going full throttle for 4 yrs and suddenly slam on the brakes and come to a complete stop as I have! short term pain for long term gain but don't make it any easier I tell ya.

No matter what, I'm a die hard RCTC fan and will always stay here and look forward to the new growth and builds I'm sure we will see here again in the future.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:28 PM

scottyk is on a distinguished road

I think less and less younger people are interested in building stuff like this. I graduated in 2002 and the trade classes were just starting to go away, now they're a rarity, just a sign of the times and where interest is..

But there will ALWAYS be people building stuff like this, and always be kids that are amazed by it, so there is hope! Keep on Keeping on. My nephew and my son love watching them work and I will teach them how to build stuff the best I can.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:21 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

I cant comment on the US side of things>
But this hobby is getting more expencive, kits have just gone up along with the aftermarket stuff, but the good thing is there are parts for pretty much all the rigs now where a few years back you had to make them your self,
As for forums like this and other they have slowed down partly due to FB, but this place FGD started will always be one of my homes ( I have it pinned to my lappy) and read it daily even though I dont always comment I still read everything and there are tones of usefull info and knologable people willing to help or pic there brains,
On the FB side there isnt the etiquet of forums where people start a new post everytime with new photos of updates instead of continuing there OP one and it just gets lost in the many daily / weekly posts>
Them there is the F/S posts where people dump there crap on the groups and charge stupid prices for sh@t>
And then theres the ones that spam the groups with the same posts and you think WTF,
And I its easier for vendors to advertise there products and not have to worry about using a photo hosting site to upload there products, just upload there photos straight to there page and within minuts there followers see whats new, or message people and get a answer straight away......
On forums there is quality stuff and most times you can find a build thread on that build so you know what your actually building.
Sorry for that rant.......

Cheers Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:24 AM
Green Horn

gismow is on a distinguished road

Hi,

in my opinion the reason for less actions here in the forum is how it is used. I'm a german speaker and each posting costs me a lot of time. Uploading pictures, writing texts, searching for the correct english words, etc. That's not the problem but if no response is coming or replies having one icons or 2-3 words in Facebook style, than I start to think about if my time I'm investing is good invested time.

It's the modern way of handling forums like the usage of Facebook. Just watching pictures, sonetimes a "like" and that's it.

The former reason of forums to discuss and to exchange information and knowledge seems to be forgotten by lots of the users.

I recognize this also in german forums.

I hope that this changes again in the future.

Last edited by gismow; 12-22-2016 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

I am a lifetime member of a national boating organization that is having the same problem. they are frantically searching for ways to increase participation just like these forums. But-like it or not-the world has changed. Young people, and some of there parents, these days do not want to go outside and do anything. They have there computers, ipads, iphones, cellphones or whatever-texting and tweeting and facebooking or other reasons to sit on there butts and do nothing. I don't get it-I don,t understand it but it doesn't matter. that's the way it is and it's not gonna change. R/C model folks, either construction or boats or tanks or cars or whatever are very small groups but the dedicated ones will keep there hobby alive but it probably will never be big again. Welcome to the new world.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

I prefer using forums for information like this, but i'm not one of the people who lets facebook run their life.

I think the problem with the truck and construcion end of rc is that the bar to enter is too high for a lot to justify trying. For $100-200, I can get into a noob-grade rtr short course, stadium, monster, buggy, crawler... Our 'cheap' rolling truck kits are around $400, there really aren't any rtr. It's hard to get them hooked at that price, and it's not as flashy as the fast stuff.

There are a fair number of 1/14 - 1/16 cheapy cars out there, but there's not really much hobby hobby grade for them without scratch building. No trucks or common cars though, i don't want a world of only supercars and semis.

Plus we aren't really publicizing our meets that well, even to others already in the hobby.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road

Money is tight and the RC Industry as a whole is in a very bad state. We're definitely going to feel that trend in this small niche part of the hobby. Sales are way down and people aren't spending their money on RC toys (and if they are, they are buying used or mega-cheap). Novak and Airtronics closed this year, if nothing changes there will be more to follow.

It's not all doom and gloom. Take Axialfest for example. That event gets some 700+ entries per year and keeps growing. There's people in attendance from all over the world. Just takes the right group of people to decide to support something they believe in.

I still love my trucks and equipment, I've just been building other rc things and putting my money into Pinball Machines and traveling around to play Pinball. I think everyone I know goes in cycles of interests.

Last edited by pigeonfarmboy; 12-22-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:55 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I've seen a lot of ppl come & go over the yrs... there's just a handful that date back as far I do when this community originated on Yahoo forums in 2001... Tamiya Cowboy, Stuff, Radio Control Trucker to name a few that come to mind.

I was thinking this Spring that I haven't seen Espeefan post in a long time, sent him a PM, which it was summer before he replied to say he'd been married now for a nearly a yr & they were expecting twins this October I freaking knew it!

Something that seems to be a bit of a pattern, any of the high talent builders of past that have graced this forum with their abilities & cranked out a lot of trks in a few short yrs, they usually burn out & move on to something else, never to be seen again. For many others, one build of trk & trl is enough, and then not having anyone nearby to run with... they're gone not long after too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gismow View Post
the reason for less actions here in the forum is how it is used, each posting costs a lot of time. Uploading pictures, writing texts, but if no response is coming or replies having one icons or 2-3 words in Facebook style, than I start to think about if my time I'm investing is good invested time.
I would agree that could be a biggie right there for the downturn in new build threads or recent updates to ongoing builds... as for myself, I see by the views with each post I make & I am content with that that ppl are interested in seeing what I am doing.

This forum is presently self sufficient, the lil bit we charge Vendors to sell their wares on here & the one minor ad banner at the top pays the bill... I haven't a clue what costs are involved for data storage ...other forums I've viewed that allow photos loaded directly are just plastered with ads with every page view & that sometimes (for me anyway with a 2 - 3mb/sec wireless connection) can be very timely to download, especially if any pages have video ads too. I sure don't want that to happen here. It's very rare I ever have trouble uploading to photobucket, maybe the difference is I use a laptop

Joe
Old 12-23-2016, 08:37 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

I agree with the comments that in general the younger generation doesn't have that much interest in physical/mechanical toys or entertainment.

The majority of my customer base are retired people. I talk with all of them and they wish they had people to operate machines with but, they have no interest in posting on an internet forum and a lot of them only use computers for watching youtube videos which is how they find me.

Also, operating rc construction equipment is a calm & relaxing hobby that seems boring to many people. The guys that come over to my house to run equipment every weekend call it their "therapy session" for the week.

I also have a group of friends that race 1/32 scale slotcars and also have many rc cars and although they are amazed with the rc construction equipment they get bored with it in about 1 hour.

So, i don't think that the people who really enjoy the rc construction hobby have any interest in forums which is a shame because it is a good way to connect with people.

"No load is too Small"