RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 02-23-2015, 08:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
You've done a fantastic job on this so far! We had a military tri-axle foldable goose neck at work for a couple years that required a winch to hook up to. Since we were using it for testing and didn't take it on the highway, we cheated and welded a couple legs to each side so we could use any available tractor to move it. It was a pain because the legs weren't timed, you had to crank each side separately.
The king pin was in a tube and was gravity activated. It was a 4" pin (read heavy) vs. a standard 2" pin. I would think you could do the same, maybe add a lite spring to make sure it drops when it needs to.
Thank you!! I didn't even know about the kingpin until a little while ago. The spring I was thinking of is some simple strip of spring steel attached to deck (metal part) and resting on top of pin. This whole project was to show the wife how lazy I can be not having to move from any location yet still play with multiple toys I'm almost there . Although trying to be lazy has been a lot of work!!! Originally my thoughts were for the winch but having to mod the truck,,, well at the time i thought a trailer would be easier, I know my logic doesn't always work out. Lol!!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

As far as you are I wouldn't go the winch way, you pretty much got the "lazy" down pat just deck it and tune it to the weight and your good!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:17 PM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

Your bass will get ripped up ,but alder will get scratched up also but not as quick . I use it and hard pine on my railway cars and load all sorts of rocks etc on them I also cut them as boards and beat them before you install them . Try what you want the offer is there . Oh and squirrels like to eat basswood 😄Mike
Old 02-23-2015, 10:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'll keep you in mind mikem, thank you.

Truckmaker, I got to messing with it tonight. Put some temporary stops on the outriggers/landing legs. Lifts the vice I had on it along with four 123 mill blocks. But,,, I don't think the actuators will be able to completely lift the heavy excavator. I think another one in center is needed, maybe two. I'm very close on clearances to put two on each side, side by side. I don't think I could use e-clips on the shafts, would have to change to a set screw to give me a bit more wiggle room. Center has more than enough for one or two side by side, but then more drilling and welding in a rather hard to get to area. It's always gonna be I thought I had enough on the shelf at home but,,, but I need to get more parts !!! But good news is I have the clearances just right for the truck hooking up with fifth wheel. And definitely have to cut some spring steel to add to leaf springs on truck. Squats stock right away. It's one of these circumstances, have truck,,,,, build trailer,,, need to modify truck to suit built trailer. It may just get completely out of hand if a king hauler is needed, extra drive axle, different tranny/motor,,,,,,,,,,, help me I've got to stop!!!!!! Lol!!!! Really need warm weather to get here fast, it will get me outside!!
Old 02-26-2015, 10:15 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Coop, check TamiyaUSA they sell 3-4 different length add a leaf springs for the F350 which work well on the stock truck springs. You can make it as heavy as you want. If you go to post #6 in the link below you'll see a spring set with 4 leaves added
http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...ead.php?t=9138
Old 02-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Coop, check TamiyaUSA they sell 3-4 different length add a leaf springs for the F350 which work well on the stock truck springs. You can make it as heavy as you want. If you go to post #6 in the link below you'll see a spring set with 4 leaves added
http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...ead.php?t=9138
Thanks, appreciate that !! I have some annealed spring steel sheet that I was planning on making springs before but I was able to use stock springs. I think I will do what you have done just cut some myself. Have to cut and temper but that's the fun.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I have the metal plates in the last pic for welding jig/spacers and the long brass rod is just to keep somewhat square.

The collapsable king pin. Needs reinforcing but just the preliminary stuff.

And bit the bullet and got two more actuators if one on each side is not enough power. They are matched very well, and movement is synchronized well. Had some time and motivation last couple days to get some more done. Hopefully soon the weather gets a little warmer and I can set up a somewhat makeshift paint booth to get this and the excavator painted. I have quite a few furnace squirrel cage blowers that I was going to use one for a downdraft fume extractor so I'm not cleaning cat yellow off everything in garage like when I painted the dozer . A couple furnace filters and flex duct out window to give the shrubs a tint of cat yellow, hopefully not the siding on house!!!
Old 02-28-2015, 06:54 AM
Journeyman

See u have a use for Mr Nutters
Old 02-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Lol!! Put him to work, maybe he will drive better than me

http://youtu.be/VYeUEOzz6Fw

Just a simple video of the truck and trailer, I figured out the gravity drop kingpin.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Nice job on the king pin set up Cooper, the bracing and all look just like the 1:1.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Nice job on the king pin set up Cooper, the bracing and all look just like the 1:1.
Thanks!! I wanted to braze a lot of pieces but my skills at brazing yield warped parts and ,,, well just not good at it !! Practice more first.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Made all the shafts and cut retaining clip grooves. Between the arms I installed Teflon washers to help misalignments and ease of movement.

Added the other two actuators.

Bottom side with neck in the up position

And I may have underestimated the power of these actuators, the metal that is bent against the aluminum was just a temporary piece to help locate where to put a stop. They bent that rather easily as it's not structural bent and temporary but it also bent the frame ibeams!! I still haven't figured what would be best to limit the trailer raise to help facilitate the neck lift. Some 1:1 use chains or pins. Still a work in progress

And just another overall pic.

Added the mixes to radio for all four actuators. They are independently plugged into 1-4 channels and work by throwing a switch then on a dial so the trailer can be raised/lowered to any position. So I guess next step is to get the I-beams bent back and figure out the stops. Then rear bumper, between wheel frame additions, decking, paint, ect. Thought this project was going to be a "quick" fun build. It has been fun and some burnt brain cells along way!!!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Well, if you would quit playing with Lego all the time , this build would be much further along!

Nice work RW.
Maybe it's a tough build but your still taking the time to think of things like Teflon washers so all is good and stress levels can't be that bad...
Old 03-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Journeyman

Makes my boxcars look to simple ! Mike
Old 03-02-2015, 11:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Load test one with the excavator.

http://youtu.be/eE9irWLSAxc

And load test number two, I think I said the dozer was 80#, I actually forget its weight! somewhere around there I think.

http://youtu.be/ewaWgGBbn7Q
Old 03-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Looks like it works good, seems to work a little lifting the dozer. Are you going to have a mechanical lock or let the weight ride on the actuators?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Mario, I have had quite a bit of "thinking" on this one .

Truckmaker, I really didn't plan on being able to lift the dozer, but it can!! I found out (or it seems that way) that the actuators will lift more than they have the power to hold. They do act like they are working to lift the dozer but they will hold at any given location. When I originally did a load test with two, they would lift but then drift after stopping. Firgilli states they will not be damaged from staling but it's not good if repeatedly used that way. I just got back from the local proctologist hardware store with some small chain and small cable. Picture hanging cable. I figure between the two I can figure something out. I was going to use some metal bent up somehow for strength as a mechanical stop. I am now thinking of going the chain idea as I've seen some 1:1 use chain. And after looking into that the points that can be secured at are the arm shaft that runs from side to side ( probably the most secured part) and the landing leg itself. I'm sure to add some pics of the process. Hope you guys like all the pics, I always like looking at what others do or are thinking of doing .
Old 03-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Fantastic job it looks and functions as it should.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 03-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Journeyman

Exclusive RC is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent Job, I really like the fact that it pushes down on the other pieces to lift the trailer to height and also acts as a landing gear, idk if that was intentional on your part, or just one of those by mistake accidents that worked in your favor, but none the less. BEAUTIFUL!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes that was the idea, when loaded the neck goes up first, when empty the trailer lifts first then the neck. The 1:1 work similar or have two separate controls for neck and/or landing legs. But the most of them have that sudden break loose effect of neck lowering, I didn't think I would achieve that but it is basically the same as 1:1 as far as pivot points go.

Thanks!!!