RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Green Horn

chaseracer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: my first semi build (dump)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Looks great! Will this be making its first appearence in Campbell River this year?

Reg
thanks Reg I am hoping to make some shows this year. maybe out your way first so you can throw a load on this thing and I can get some real video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkycuda View Post
Wow! The bed raise is one of the smoother and quieter units I've seen. Great job.

Ken
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
That really looks good, well done Jason!

That screw is really smooth from the start! What thread did you use?

Those wheels you have, they not come with center caps?

Have you fashioned up any kind of tail gate lock, that's a must!
thanks Joe, no they do not come with end caps ;( but my friend is making me some there just not ready yet. and the tail gate does lock its just little different then normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
I think there's a lot of very fine, detailed models of trucks around , like this one. The proud builder (should be) go around shows driving their trucks (and this is seen all over world on shows) running at speed and changes of directions not prototypical at all.
I've not been into buildning trucks (1:14) and don´t know if it´s the speed controllers that are that bad? Any idea from you guys working with those?
I know from my time modeling trains and when DCC (computer controls) decoders was introduced that they could be programmed to not make "jump starts" possible. You could programe the effect of mass into acceleration and braking (this was funny when engineer was not use to it). Some of my friends had problems with that but it was a much more prototypical way of running trains.
From videos it seems like the soundcontrols are good, the sound replicates to orgin, if it´s like trains, I don´t know. Is Cummins, Detroit, Caterpillar, Scania, Volvo ........ sound available?
On trains you can have a Farbank Morse, GE, EMD even read that 3 engine gensets was available now.
Dan
thanks I guess and sorry for my bad video I think lol not sure what you are trying to say Dan ? I wish I was a probuilder like you guys my mouth drops everytime I see a build from the you and the other pro builders on this forum I'm not in that league.
and about the jumpy driving that was me lol I was just playing around it would drive smooth if I was trying and the video was just a test. and as for a sound mfu I can't see me paying that much money for sound as cool as it is it is over priced, maybe someday.

thanks guys

Last edited by chaseracer; 01-02-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Hey, we should definately throw a load of dirt in it before any shows come up! I have a small pile of dirt that needs moving too...
Old 01-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Hey, we should definately throw a load of dirt in it before any shows come up! I have a small pile of dirt that needs moving too...
Sounds like a plan Reg just waiting on new esc for truck the one I have in it doesn't like the 3cell lipo it gets warm and cuts out
Old 01-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseracer View Post
Sounds like a plan Reg just waiting on new esc for truck the one I have in it doesn't like the 3cell lipo it gets warm and cuts out
For sure! Let me know when you get it sorted out and will set up a play day.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thanks I guess and sorry for my bad video I think lol not sure what you are trying to say Dan ? I wish I was a probuilder like you guys my mouth drops everytime I see a build from the you and the other pro builders on this forum I'm not in that league.
and about the jumpy driving that was me lol I was just playing around it would drive smooth if I was trying and the video was just a test. and as for a sound mfu I can't see me paying that much money for sound as cool as it is it is over priced, maybe someday.
Sorry if I was unclear, what I'm trying to say (after attending to big shows like in Friedrichshafen 3 years now) that a lot of very fine builds are runned at just to high speeds. I'm planning to build a tractor trailer combo for my D8, with the weight of hole combination (~700lbs) it will not be possible to accelerate/brake very fast.
I´m just trying to learn what's available and how this can be used when it comes to speed regulators.
And about your modeling capacity, don't need to be sorry, I like this Autocar dumptruck a lot, you realy have the skills to make it look prototypical (like the front windows, fenders, grille guard ............).
Dan
Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Sorry if I was unclear, what I'm trying to say (after attending to big shows like in Friedrichshafen 3 years now) that a lot of very fine builds are runned at just to high speeds. I'm planning to build a tractor trailer combo for my D8, with the weight of hole combination (~700lbs) it will not be possible to accelerate/brake very fast.
I´m just trying to learn what's available and how this can be used when it comes to speed regulators.
And about your modeling capacity, don't need to be sorry, I like this Autocar dumptruck a lot, you realy have the skills to make it look prototypical (like the front windows, fenders, grille guard ............).
Dan

I get you now Dan.. yes hauling that d8 of yours would be a task for sure u almost would need a speed control system from a electic wheel chair or scooter to pull that lol
Old 01-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Great build Jason ..took a while but well worth the wait ...Now if you left it in joes basemant for a few months it would look perfect ..lol..Good job and cant wait to load er up
Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksntreadslou View Post
Great build Jason ..took a while but well worth the wait ...Now if you left it in joes basemant for a few months it would look perfect ..lol..Good job and cant wait to load er up
thanks Lou..yes a long time coming because I had no shop time this year it felt like. I'm pretty happy with it. lots I'm not happy with and would do different but all in all ok, next one will be better . yes it needs to get dirty for sure. soon it will be I hope. and looking forward to bringing it up island with you guys this year
Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

Great build Jason
Looking forward to getting you out playing in the dirt. Be fun getting that one dirt. You must know me as you put short stacks on your truck, I dont think Lou could even TAG them...

Greg
Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Dan, I'll get you some info for building a big semi truck drive train. Hydrostatic drive is the ticket. I'm out driving over the road, be back to the house soon.
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLogger View Post
Great build Jason
Looking forward to getting you out playing in the dirt. Be fun getting that one dirt. You must know me as you put short stacks on your truck, I dont think Lou could even TAG them...

Greg
haha thanks Greg . the short stacks look better for this truck I think. plus I dont have to worry about anyone hitting I guess
Old 01-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Great build Jason

Greg
Lmao..I think iv tagged Robs a time or two ..Lol..Yes short stacks are good
Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

That has to be the smoothest screw drive dump mechanism I have ever heard, or seen, run. Great job with that! Most howl and whine, when lifting, but yours sounds quiet and smooth. I'm sure it will handle whatever you can throw in the box.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 AM

Exile Trucking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseracer View Post

thanks Joe, no they do not come with end caps ;( but my friend is making me some there just not ready yet. and the tail gate does lock its just little different then normal

Hi. Mike here. aka chaseracer's cap making friend.

Jason is a good guy that gives me lots of stuff to do that chalenges me as a new [and i use this word lightly] machinest.

So the latest project is center caps for his wheels. Took some measurements off the wheel and then went to put it back on the front axle. Only to find that when it was tight the wheel is locked up. Took it apart and figured out the the total measurement of the two bearings and the sholder inside the rim were 0.022 more then the shank they ride on.

Dam, guess i have to do some milling to his nice new wheels [no presure at all]
So I took a peasce of scrap and made the bearing fit just right before I chuck up a wheel in the mill.

After that I was sure it was right and took 0.025 out of the backside of the bearing sholder. Hot dam it worked just like hopped it would. Nice and tight but free to spin.

Now thats the wheel works back to making caps....not yet. The snout on the front wheel stands out to far for the look jason wants.

As you can see so does the axle stub. Cool something thats a no brainer. Just trim it down.

lol. Back to the mill with the new wheels. By by snout.

Time to make a cap.

No picture of it but there is a releaf in the backside of the cap for the axle stub and nut.

Heres the evolution of the caps I made with the right end one being the one Jason liked the most for the look he wants.

In the end this is what they look like.

Back wheels next time.

Thanks for lookin
Mike

Last edited by Exile Trucking; 01-13-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Green Horn

good to see you on the forum Mike, and great job on the caps I can't wait to get them back so I can get the Autocar back together and get it hauling some loads. Mike has made me some awesome custom wheels and pieces for my crawlers over the years and now my caps for my Autocar wheels.

Last edited by chaseracer; 01-13-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

Fine work Mike. Nice to see two guys getting-her-done.

Greg
Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Beautiful Work! Wheels and caps look great!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 AM

Exile Trucking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Fine work Mike. Nice to see two guys getting-her-done.

Greg
Thanks Greg. Jason has made a very cool truck here. He has great skills and ideas. Its cool that I get to help out here and there with my mill and laith, and its always good to have to have someone else to bounce ideas off of. Between the both of us we can solve almsot any puzzle, or at least have fun tring.

Mike
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Haha, sooke is a hot bed of RC builders....

Nice job on the wheels!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum Mike. Nice job on the caps. Got any plans to start building construction models yourself. Great hobby, very relaxing.
Rob