RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First build ,cat D11

Definitely have enough tilt!!!!

That's how far movement can happen before anything touches. I don't know how much tilt d11s have, maybe 15~20 degrees?? Going to start working on stabilizer arms
Old 02-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Boy, you first build guys really know how to show even the veterans up! The Cat D11 is looking very nice, and you are making excellent progress. Keep it up. I never get tired of watching builds like yours come together.
Thank you, I've been blessed with some time to devote to this during the winter so I'm trying to get it together in the time I have. And I really enjoy seeing what others do, love the pics myself, so I try and take as many as I can. Hope it's not too many
Old 02-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Old 02-17-2014, 04:36 PM

od jhon deer is on a distinguished road

Looking good so far I was just wondering what u used for track I did not notice if u said also did u get plans for it r just doing out of your head but keep it up
Old 02-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by od jhon deer View Post
Looking good so far I was just wondering what u used for track I did not notice if u said also did u get plans for it r just doing out of your head but keep it up
For the track pads I used 1/2 x 1" bar. For the links I (think) I used 3/8 x 5/8 and used a slitting saw to cut them in half for individual pieces. I'll try and get some pics of the stuff I used and how. As far as plans, yup all in my head after numerous times forgetting measurements I started writhing simple part sketches down for my lack of memory. I did get a cat parts/shop manual. The problem with the manual is you just get some non scale drawings but at least it's something to scale off of. And a bunch of pics of dozers from the web. I am trying to build a d11 but it has some blend of d9 also. A local cat dozer dealer is about three miles from home so I could see some machines firsthand. But they never get a d11 sitting around that is assembled. Too big and expensive, they usually go right to the job site.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Added a little of the detail.

Work on the side of the engine compartment and trying to blend into the front. Wanted to make the front sides a bit beefy for the blade hydraulics to attach to. Not sure how I'm going to accomplish that part, it's like cast into the side. Might mill a slot into,,,,well when I get there I'll be straining the brain again

I did re-do the roller wheels. Same internal size but made to look bigger. I think it make a big difference in appearance.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Working on the skid plate for front. Hats off to you metal workers!! Seems simple and easy but trying to transfer measurements from paper template to the actual metal shape is a bit of luck for me. Some minor tweeting but it will fit. I'm going to be bolting it to frame. Originally I was going to wrap it up the sides like the 1:1 dozers but a bit too complex for me
Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

You did a fine job yourself.

What gauge is that?

Joe
Old 02-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

A couple more in process,,,,

Lil giant, I'm working with 22guage, thin enough to burn through during welding very easy and thick enough to not be able to use hand shears. Just the right size to make it hard to work with (for me.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I think I'll have the skid plates done by weekend. Have to weld two pieces yet. But this is what I've come up with so far. I have a 2-56 broken tap in one of those holes and I over tightened a brass 2-56 screw trying to get the metal to lay a little more flat and twisted the head off. More work!! I'm going to mill out the tap and drill out the brass then I'm going to try that aluma-weld stuff. If that does the job I'll be able to re drill and tap new holes. It just adds more time and the p.i.t.a. Aspect. . Have some materials for hydraulics coming later in week, so I guess I'll be needing to get valves and pump soon. I think the pump and valves will be the bullet-biting expense. Once I get my fingers on one I'll try and make my own for other projects.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Figured I will need to have rotational movement if I plan to have a tilting blade. I will be using stainless with a setscrew as a retainer for the pivot shaft.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Here's one for you lil'giants, I saw you recently got a "smart" phone ,, lol, actually once I figured out how to make a simple call all was good. There are some very useful apps, this one comes in handy a lot!! And it is surprisingly accurate. More than I can use a sight level. But it did take me an hour or so trying to figure out how to switch all the views
Old 02-26-2014, 10:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I figured this was the easiest way for a chain adjuster/tensioner. It's simply a idler, a flanged bearing, with an offset center that I can set the free play. As I didn't think a spring tensioner would work on account of both forward and reverse tension applies. In the pic you can see by the first one the top chain is curved. And the bottom pic with the tensioner adjusted the top chain is straight from sprocket to sprocket, and that is forward rotation to where more pressure (should) be applied by pushing a load.

And a pic of the part, I'll be using a tooth washer for some more security of keeping it in position.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

And if I show the good I guess I have to show the bad. I broke a 2-56 tap off in one hole and spun the head off a brass 2-56 bolt. So I decided to mill out the broken and use that aluminum weld stick stuff. I watched some tube videos and tried it. Well the vids make it look fast, I heated and heated with mapp gas. Well I just missed that magical temp as by the time I was done fixing the holes I had a big drooping bulge of liquid aluminum on the bottom. Well once I learned how to use it the second part was pretty easy. That stuff comes in handy. But now even though I was using it to fix a part and save some machine time by not having to remake the part I think I will anyway.

First try.

Second part, top hole was the one remade.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:03 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Thank you Cooper for the tip on the phone app, I'll look at doing the same for my phone too.

And the set up pics of machined parts, I'd be interested in seeing more of them too. My knowledge of machining & how to do it safe & accurately is very limited. I've just got a mini mill right now in my house, never did anything too complicated with it b/c of its lack of rigidity. But my soon to be finished garage will be getting a bigger one this fall, probably one like yours & I'll look forward to do more of my own machining. And tips on accessories you use during your build would be a plus as well, plz.

Joe
Old 02-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Will include some more of the machining pics. I can't say I know what I'm doing as these are scratch builds from air plans but I always figure there is a way for something to be done. Ya know that old saying if there's a will there's a way, well s few scrap parts and some broken tools later , yes there is. Lol,,,,

Have some more work to do but a pic of the skid plates. One front and one back. Both bolted on. I had to file a housing support on the motor gear housing down some but other than that it a pretty snug fit. At least keeping some debris out.

And a side shot, starting to figure out operator housing and stabilizer bar.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Wannabe

Azonic will become famous soon enough

Nice work!

Where will the hydraulics fit?? lol!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Aussie Fabricator

titandigs is on a distinguished road

Hey Cooper,
What's the name of the APP? I downloaded tilt meter but it's different to your screen shot.
Thanks
Old 02-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'm using an iphone5 and new iPad for these apps. Cliinometer is the name of the app. I've compared it to other levels and it has been more accurate than any sight level I've used.

It was dark so just the screen is visible not the phone or couch it was on. . And there is a couple machinist apps. But the only thing I find useful is wire size and drill size decimals or tap drill sizes. I don't use any of the feed or speed guides as I just feed and cut by feel and sight.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azonic View Post
Nice work!

Where will the hydraulics fit?? lol!
Lol, yes the motors fill up quite a bit of space. I might be thankful that I'm making a blacked out cab, I may need that area for electronics. In a serious note I have not handled any of these pumps or valve blocks but by seeing them on the forum and for sale sites I do think things will be crowded. 5 valves (independent tilt cylinders) sabertooth esc, (forget but about 4" wide) lipo batteries, sound module , speaker, thinking about a computer fan in front grill for added cooling, and hydro pump with motor attached.
After reading what I just wrote it does sound like it will be crowded!! I think its time to order pump and valves before placement of those parts. Might be a bit of puzzle. .