RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:42 AM

tamiya fan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Grand Hauler Fender Rub?

First off, glad the site is back. where the great builders are.

I just built an Optimus Prime - Grand Hauler/Trailer. Paint job a nightmare for me. Not a painter but I make do. A month or more to do paint. (dry time, steps, etc...) Said to myself I would never do it because of all the work, but decided to, and came out pretty good. So I really don't want to screw up paint.

My question is, with support legs installed on trailer, those 2 screws hang down, and am worried about it gouging my fender on turns, etc... My Volvo FH-12 got a gouge in it out of no where with a flatbed trailer. I am worried about it for Optimus Prime. It looks to close for me.

So I am asking the best truckers here. Any suggestions to help the problem out? The manual warns about it, I've experienced it with another truck, SS electronics is gone, Beier would be an option but all ready built with MFC. Didn't think about this till the end of build while doing light cable lengths.

There was write ups about it but can't find them? Change the screws? (still to close) Any one have any suggestions? Thought about shimming 5th wheel higher. Not a great idea as it will probably have issues locking and unlocking.

It is a Grand Hauler, Freight/Box Trailer, Support Legs.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:15 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Grand Hauler Fender Rub?

Could you shim the fifth wheel as a temporary measure... then if you find a fix you could always simply put it back the way it was... or maybe find a fix for locking/unlocking issue..
Wish I could be more help....
Old 05-12-2022, 06:03 PM

sassgrunt is on a distinguished road

My first thought was for you to remove the parts that are causing the problem and raise the legs manually, but that kind of defeats the ability to hook up remotely. Maybe if you use countersunk screws that go through the parts into the bed, the shorter height of the screw heads wouldn't show above the surface of the plastic, (and therefore rub the top of the fender).
Old 05-12-2022, 09:15 PM

tamiya fan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I did file the 2 screws done to nubs, but still stick up a little. I bought counter sunk screws for this, but can't find them. Have to go to hardware store. I'd like to loose the bulky mechanism all together. Mfc-01 in the truck and is finished. Finishing up the trailer and noticed it's to close for comfort. Really don't want to replace and PAINT fenders. I'll keep trying.

Any one know if the "OB-1" for semi's, will control the support legs? It is implicated that it does. I don't see in the instructions where you plug in. My understanding is they don't support the leg motor. It's more like a light kit. If someone could verify would be great.

Thanks again