RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Farm Tractors and Implements

Farm Tractors and Implements Discussion of farm equipment

Old 06-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Ford FW-60 Project

That is an awesome looking tractor you did a really good job with it and the scrapper is looking sweet!!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Those tires look very good on that tractor. It's a nice setup you've gotten yourself. I guess you have a lot of pulling power. Are the diffs locked?

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Journeyman

rockNmayhem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
That is an awesome looking tractor you did a really good job with it and the scrapper is looking sweet!!
Thank you. It still has a ways to go before it's 100% complete but its slowly getting closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egronvold View Post
Those tires look very good on that tractor. It's a nice setup you've gotten yourself. I guess you have a lot of pulling power. Are the diffs locked?
Thank you fro the compliments. The tractor has no problem dragging the blade around and filling it with dirt. My biggest enemy is traction. Once I get the hood attached and the battery mounted for final location I will start plating the frame and filling it with lead to add a little more weight to the main chassis so I can get the power to the ground.

Both axles are fully locked and my turning radius isn't sacrificed much but it helps having 300+ OZ. IN. of torque to steer this pig when bound up in the dirt.

Tyler
Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Journeyman

Well I'm thinking it may be time for another small update. I'll start off by showing the new attachment hookup and see if you guys can figure out where my next plan of attack is going to be.

Here is the finished up attachment point for the rear assembled and installed.

Have a few lines hooked up for operating the rear blade.

Here is what the connectors look like underneath the shielding.

And here is my new hitch pin hiding in the background.

Hope you guys like the new rear end. Lemme know if you guys have any ideas or questions on how it's done.

Tyler
Old 07-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Journeyman

Round number two for the nightly updates.

I took some time this evening to make a new tool to start on my next project for the tractor. When you get ideas in your head and don't have the right tool, half the fun is figuring out a way to make a new tool to produce one little part. So here is what I spent a few hours making tonight.

Starting with a small piece of aluminum and making a shouldered bolt.

The bolt then screws into the piece of aluminum.

Once the bolt and aluminum are finished it is time to mount up the new work piece.

Now it the part where you may be asking yourself "what is he up to now"?

Well here is a pretty good hint of what is to come from this next picture.

It takes a bunch of small round discs and a few minutes a piece to start turning parts. Now once you have everything mounted up in the lathe and the wheels are turning it's time to start turning the parts. One by one the start to take shape. Here is a shot of a new part in front of a standard washer.

And now you have it, your mind is racing, "Is it a new hybrid, belt buckle, miniature frisbee........NO, I GOT IT, IT'S A FLUX CAPACITOR"!!!!!!!!

Well I hate to be the one to rain on the parade, but I unfortunately can't currently share my rendition of how to build a flux capacitor due to legalities.

But I will however tell you that you would be on the right track if you kept your mind towards ground breaking parts.

Tyler
Old 07-17-2012, 11:55 PM

Hmmmm i'm guessing plow discs???
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Hmmmm i'm guessing plow discs???
Well you are correct. I didn't figure it'd be that hard to figure out. Now all I have left is to make a die for them and put a concave in them and start framing out the plow frame.

Tyler
Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 PM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Start Of The Disc

Well gentlemen it's time for a quick update. I'm currently waiting on parts for my semi builds so I pulled the old Ford down off the shelf to tinker on it a bit. I have been planning in my head for a while a few ideas about what all the tractor will be pulling and I've started mocking up for a disc behind it. I am still in the early stages but it's getting there slowly. I have the main rollers done all the disc's mounted on their shafts. I need to make the carriers and start on the body of the frame later but for now here are a few updates to hold you over. Hope you guys enjoy.

Lemme know what you guys think, I hope the size is ok for this model and I have no fear that the tractor has enough grunt to pull this little guy through the ground and hopefully make some rows.

Thanks for looking,
Tyler
Old 07-31-2012, 09:03 PM

I like it! Looks nice and sturdy! are you going to be able to get enough of a downforce on it though?or will it have plenty of weight to it?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
I like it! Looks nice and sturdy! are you going to be able to get enough of a downforce on it though?or will it have plenty of weight to it?
Aaron that will be the biggest problem I believe I'm gonna have. I am currently debating a steel frame to bring the weight up to between 7-10lbs or leave it aluminum and mainly go for light weight and looks. The tractor is currently 8 lbs without adding any additional weight but I already have about 3 lbs of accessories to add to is with additional lead in some spots to really put the weight and power down on the ground. I am pushing for 15-20lbs on the tractor that way I will have no traction issues when the time comes to pull something heavy or something stuck.

Tyler
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 PM

What if you make it on the lighter side but have a spot (like open channel frame) you can throw extra weight in if needed? IDK just an idea
Old 08-01-2012, 03:14 AM
Apprentice

Grainfarmer is on a distinguished road

Nice Disc! I´m not sure, but somewhre I´ve see such a kind of disc already...
Looking forward for more pics...
Old 08-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Green Horn

dmess62 is on a distinguished road

cool project. looks good. most of the videos i ve seen look like they are running in some looser dirt or sand, i would say the light weight shouldn t be a problem.

Dave
Old 08-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Great work! Your faux hydraulic/electrical hook ups for implements turned out really nice. The tractor sure has come a long ways. It's always nice to see more updates in your thread.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road

That plow setup is going to have to be sturdy with a beast like that pulling it! lol
Nice discs, what will you be planting?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Journeyman

Well it's time for a small (heavy) update this evening. I took a little break from the MAN this evening and decided to finish working on the tractor since I started on it again monday. Since the last updates from the disc I've taken a little time to run the tractor and play around with the blade and rippers finally in the hard ground and after some short operating time I came to the conclusion that my biggest problem with this tractor wasn't power, it was traction.

The tractor as seen in all the previous updates weighed in at only a touch over 6 lbs fully built and operational. I got to thinking how I could start rebuilding the tractor already and adding more weight in places then it hit me........ I don't need to rebuild anything, I just need to overbuild everything that I have. I started with very small stuff and to also add details as in the metal air cleaner and I'm making some aluminum accessories that have yet to be installed. I realized that those little aluminum bits weren't going to cut it so I got a wild hair up my....... well you know, and decided to go big (heavy) or just suffer.

Leading into how the tractor currently sits tonight I started adding lead weight in some of the extra spaces that I had in the tractor including behind the step boxes, under the hood, inside the frame rails, under the back half of the frame as well as adding a pound of lead to each set of duals upping my overall weight of the tractor to a boasting 16lbs.

Needless to say I no longer have traction issues and the tractor still has plenty of power to pull itself and about any attachment I can throw behind it. I had been running the tractor around the work room and outside a bit and noticed that all of a sudden my steering was getting really sloppy and weak. So I brought it inside this evening and spent some time tearing the back end apart to find that the HS645MG Hitec servo wasn't in to healthy of a condition. Now granted that I haven't run it too much since adding the weight I decided to not wanna tear it apart again if I didn't have to so I opted to put in the biggest servo I had laying around.

That servo would be a Savox coreless digital servo with over twice the power of the hitec, I went from just at 8 lbs of force to steer this pig to over 16 lbs of force to easily and consistently turn this heavy rig around.

I will try and get some videos up sunday as I'm busy as can be tomorrow and saturday but I'll finally get some up for you guys to enjoy. So now that I've explained everything lately, here are some new updated pics of the tractor after an hour or so of working time on it and how it currently sits weighted down.

And here is how the new Hitec servo looks after about an hour in the tractor.

Thanks for looking guys and lemme know what you think or any questions you have.

Tyler
Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Apprentice

Grainfarmer is on a distinguished road

I guess my Deutz Allis weighs about 6,5 - 7 lbs....and has no problem with the disc.
More weight will help you to get more traction.
Looking forward for more pictures...

regards
Frank
Old 08-17-2012, 10:22 AM

Can't wait for the video Tyler! 16lbs! Wow that should pull a lot!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Journeyman

Thumbs up New video and pictures outside

Well I got back home early today so I decided to take the tractor out and play in the dirt with the camera. I took a couple of crappy videos as the scraper was acting up with interference and then the tractor shut down but here are a few teasers to hold you guys over for a little while. Also have a couple of poser shots to show her out and getting dirty.

And now for my new computer background.

Thanks for looking guys and lemme know what you think. I hope to get the small bugs out of it soon and get another videographer to help me out as I operate the tractor, it's a little hard as it is now.

Enjoy,
Tyler
Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 PM

Looks like a good start!

Tags
conversion, ertl, ford, progress, tractor