RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:45 PM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default 6x6 Advice Needed!

Hey folks,

I'm about to buy my first semi truck and I'm really excited about it! But I plan to make it a 6x6 and have some questions that I'm hoping you all can help me with.

First of all, what axle do most people use up front? I suppose TLTs are the best choice, but I sold all mine off years ago. What are some good options nowadays? Are any a direct bolt-on to the stock leaf springs?

What are the options to create 4WD? I saw on a few youtube videos that the output shaft of the Tamiya trans can be lengthened and it'll just stick out the front of the transmission housing where a driveshaft can be added. I can weld/fabricate, but that will also mean the transmission will need to move rearward on the frame, which I assume could cause interference with the body. Are certain body types better or worse for this type of mod?

I suppose an RC4WD Disruptor t-case would be a decent option. Any others common in the semi truck world that won't totally break the bank?

I've got plenty more questions, but I figured this would be a good starting point!

Thanks, everyone!
Tommy
Old 12-30-2016, 09:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6x6 Advice Needed!

Welcome to the forum Tommy, if you want to use your stock rear axles, which are fine, you will need to go with the TLT steer axle, it bolts up and is the same gear ratio. If that's not an issue there are various options available. Search 1/14 truck on flea bay and you'll get an idea of what's out there, or someone should speak up on here that's used the other axles, I know there's a few. As far as a transfer case there are quite a few options, it just depends on your preference and budget, I had an Axial transmission I wasn't using and it worked great.

Scan the builds in this section, it'll give you an idea of what some of the builders on here have used. There are to many variations to list in one post. Also review the posts in the following section, there are many pages of posts with the information your looking for.

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...play.php?f=103

Good luck with your build, post a lot of pictures and we'll be able to help once we see pictures of what your doing if you need it. Your better off using a photo hosting site for the pictures you post here, it works better.

Last edited by TRUCKMAKER; 12-30-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Green Horn

Thanks very much for the reply!

I didn't even notice that forum that you linked. Thanks! Looks like there's some good info there. I've got plenty of experience with Axial transmissions so I'll probably just go that route since it'll also get me the gear reduction I'd like. Unfortunately, TLT axles are getting harder to come by these days, but those are the ones closest to my budget. I love those Integy axles, but $300-450 for a set of 3 is more than I'd prefer to spend!

I wish I knew of more people in central Texas who ran these trucks. If so, I'd be inclined to leave it rear wheel drive. But otherwise, I'm really going to need it to be AWD because most of my friends are crawlers.

Tommy
Old 01-02-2017, 04:14 PM
White Line Fever

roadranger is on a distinguished road

I'm using the F350 axle on my build. It's a bit wider than the TLT axles, but same gear ratio.
Try this place; they currently have a TLT axle for sale…

http://www.rc-recycler.com

Jim B.
Colorado Springs
Old 01-02-2017, 04:51 PM
White Line Fever

roadranger is on a distinguished road

I'm currently repurposing a Globe and a King into 6x6's.
The short wheelbase Globe is getting a replacement 2 spd. gear reduction transmission with built in transfer case, like this;
http://www.wtbcar.com/shopping/index...product_id=203

I just recently saw a Utube that added a 5:1 planetary gear reduction box bolted between motor and above 2 sp. tranny to get realistically slow road speed. http://www.wtbcar.com/shopping/index...product_id=585

The longer wheelbase King is going to keep the stock 3 speed tranny with a 4:1 planetary gear reduction bolted on the output;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1319998...&ul_noapp=true

going into this 2:1 transfer case http://www.wtbcar.com/shopping/index...&product_id=91

Hope this helps...

Jim B.
Colorado Springs

Last edited by roadranger; 01-02-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Green Horn

Thanks so much for the reply!

So I dug through my crawler parts bin and found nearly all I need to put together a TLT axle. Hopefully I can locate some knuckles, outer axles stubs, and some misc. hardware and I'll have one put together! Lucky me! LOL

I really like that 2 speed trans you're using for your Globe Liner and that 2:1 t-case looks nice, as well! I was planning on an Axial trans for a t-case, but I may not reconsider that plan.

I may also consider the RC4WD 3:1 adapter in conjunction with that 2:1 t-case you linked. I already have the 3:1 adapter that I was going to use in a crawler project that I have yet to complete.

Do you have any build threads for your rigs??

Thanks again!