RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Defenders of the land. > Military Vehicles.

Military Vehicles. Trucks/Support Vehicles in here.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:54 PM

cyanide is on a distinguished road
Default Utility Truck

I am not sure where to put this build, it could go in truck, construction or here. but I choose here, admin please move if incorrect.

This is a non specific army truck build. It will be 40's to 60's in style. It is a very basic build compared the the beautiful builds I am finding here, but I want to start simple, I can improve my detailing as I learn the tricks.

Kind of like this.

This is the chassis:

and some images of the front.

It will be made as an ex military truck brought into a civilian live as a utility truck. I plan to make different things to put on the back, like a crane, sweeper attchments etc.

It is not super scaled, as you can see I am using car valve springs in the front. I will use what ever I can find in the scape pile to build it. I have been concidering using the motor valves as outriggers, but we'll see.

Last edited by cyanide; 04-19-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 PM

RCLaser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Utility Truck

OH! I think I am gonna like this one... Nice start.... ! cant wait to see more!
jeff
Old 04-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Jeff, this is going to be on my watch list.

Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Autocar is on a distinguished road

Anything Military has got my eye‚ that is if its early and ground based dont want to offend anyone who is particulary into the newer stuff but I prefer the older stuff
Old 04-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road

PLEASE:

Specs on those rims/tires? That looks like it could become like something out of one of the Mad Max movies... particularly #3 with all those monsters hiding bits behind canvas ragtops.

Hmmm, that gives me a few ideas... or it could be made into a BTR-152... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTR-152 (as seen in " Navy Seals " )

Let us know, ok?

Last edited by WhiteWolf McBride; 04-27-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf McBride View Post
PLEASE:

Specs on those rims/tires? That looks like it could become like something out of one of the Mad Max movies... particularly #3 with all those monsters hiding bits behind canvas ragtops.

Hmmm, that gives me a few ideas... or it could be made into a BTR-152... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTR-152 (as seen in " Navy Seals " )

Let us know, ok?
Specs as follows:

Front:
Pro-Line Dirt Works 2.2" All Terrain Truck
Pro-Line Epic 2.2" Black/Black Bead-Loc

Rear:
RC4WD Rock Crusher X/T 1.9 Tires
Axial 8-Hole 1.9" Beadlock Rims
Home made dualie adaptors.

Rear Axles are 25:1 worm drives from RC4WD.

I chose 2.2 for the front and 1.9 for the back so it would look like it had supersingles on the front.

I Passed a milestone this weekend, had it's first running roller test using 'borrowed' gear from my rockcrawler. Got some not so good cell phone vid, will post up soon. To see it moving on it's own was good, even in it's bare chassis state.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 PM

Here is the drivechain test vids, sorry about the cell phone footage, I did not have my GoPro with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVtCcguFhXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PjEhxyQhOc

Very basic test, used motor/tranny from my Rock Crawler just to get an idea. Will up the motor & gearing. Also, the rear steer was flapping about back there, will have that in soon.

Oh, here is some photos of the drive chain:

Last edited by cyanide; 04-29-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Gotta luv those vicegrip's! My favorite tool!(5wr's) Great start.

Cheer's, Neil.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Gotta luv those vicegrip's! My favorite tool!(5wr's) Great start.

Cheer's, Neil.
yep, you can never have to many clamps (and vice grips)

I was happy with the alignment so after the test run I drilled and tapped a couple of M4s and bolted the tranny mounting plate to the chassis rail.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx for the video, does the real truck have the steering axle? Doing a great job on the beast.

Big John

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:23 PM

Thank you guys for the compilments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorydays24 View Post
Thanx for the video, does the real truck have the steering axle? Doing a great job on the beast.

Big John
John, this build is not based on a truck in particular, it's more of a generic build. I hope to have the style of an older army truck like a GMC, Studebaker, Kraz or Ural, but it is not an exact scale replica of any (this truck is only 4x6).
I decided on the rear steer because I thought it'd need it to get decent maneuverability without a powered front axle. I did have concerns that the wormdrive axles may bind when one set of axles was turning with dualies on, but it seemed ok in the test, even on the concrete pad. It may be a different story when there is weight on it though, but I can always lock it off later if it is an issue. This is my first attempt at building a chassis, suspension etc, so I am learning as I go. I have mucked a few thing up along the way, but it is fun none the less.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:36 PM

I know you guys like pictures and since I posted this late in the build I thought I'd catch you up on a few things I posted on another forum.

This is how I did the dualies:

I used M8x90mm bolts, cut the shank down to 35mm, then drilled and tapped M4 thread into each end. This allows the M8 bolt to secure the first wheel, and provides the hex for the second wheel, which is then secured by a M4 bolt. Locktite will be a must!

This is the begining of a dump trailer to go on the back that I did when before I had the parts to start the tractor unit.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Wannabe

pumptech is on a distinguished road

Wow ,what a heavy duty build ,liked the vid ,it's sure going to have to pulling power,look forward to seeing how you build the cab,keep the pics /vids coming

Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 PM

When we did the test we grabed digital fishing scales, applied a little wight to the rear wheels and it pulled to about 4.5kg before the drive chain started making clicking sounds. Not a very exact test, but it was interesting.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptech View Post
Wow ,what a heavy duty build ,liked the vid ,it's sure going to have to pulling power,look forward to seeing how you build the cab,keep the pics /vids coming
Yes, I am looking forward to getting to the sheetmetal and building the cab also
Maybe a few more weeks on the chassis still and then I'll knock out some cardboard mock ups.

This is another sheetmetal cab I made as part of a Trail Truck build.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

Lookin good, very nice work.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 PM

Hi guys,

I put my steering electrics in this weekend and got some more video of a test run with my Go Pro so you can actually see some details this time.

Front servo is a HiTec 7975HB and the back is a Firgelli L12-R 100:1 30mm linear servo. We put a brick (about 4.5kg) on the back later to improve the traction a little. No sign of strain at all. I am not sure how well the 100:1 linear servo will do with a decent amount of weight on it, but, so far I am happy with it.
I think I'll put in the rest of the chassis crossmembers and pto shaft next weekend.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Tk_uh12PA&hd=1
Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Apprentice

SWAGGER is on a distinguished road

Nice work man! Looks great in the vid. Impressive steering range, torque and articulation. Is this 1:10 scale? Looks pretty big next to the dogs.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:52 PM

Thanks for looking Swagger!

Not sure of scale, about 1/10 or maybe a little bigger I think.

Got a wee bit done on her last weekend, but not enough to photograph really. Just putting in cross members on the chassis and cutting off the temporary chassis rail spreaders.
Would have put in the PTO shaft in front but I forgot to get a bearing housing with the last parts order **** it. I've built the mounts, but can't weld them in until I can line things up properlly.
It puts a bit of a dent in my build plans, I really want to do things in a certain order so I know how things sit. Maybe I'll switch to doing some work on the payload for a few weeks while playing the parts waiting game.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:42 PM

Minor update. Since I am waiting on some parts for the front, I decided to build the ring feeder. Still a work in progress. I need to put more thought into how the pin will work, manual, or servo etc...
It's a little bit over sized, but it will do for now.

Sorry, that's all the photos I got, the battery in the phone went flat.

I also started on dismantling an old bike to harvest the sprockets and chains for a slew system for the crane I want to mount on the back.