RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 02-27-2017, 02:34 PM

crusher is on a distinguished road
Question Hydraulic cyl question

Hi, has anyone had success in building their own hydraulic cylinders for loaders excavators etc ? If so would you pass on your experience re seals etc used, I am working on a scratch build Cat 330b and would like to produce all the components myself, I have a lathe, mill, mig welder etc. and experience building small ic engines.
I will post pictures of what I have so far soon.
Thank you
Terry
Old 02-27-2017, 02:57 PM
Green Horn

rc13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hydraulic cyl question

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher View Post
Hi, has anyone had success in building their own hydraulic cylinders for loaders excavators etc ? If so would you pass on your experience re seals etc used, I am working on a scratch build Cat 330b and would like to produce all the components myself, I have a lathe, mill, mig welder etc. and experience building small ic engines.
I will post pictures of what I have so far soon.
Thank you
Terry

There are several people on this forum that have. This guy is currently working on some right now. Here is his thread:

http://rctruckandconstruction.com/sh...ad.php?t=12300
Old 02-28-2017, 01:09 PM

Thanks for your reply rc13, the French site is very helpful, the machining is not much of a
problem, I guess what I need to know is what the guys are using for seals ( o-rings, cup seals etc and how many ),
Terry
Old 02-28-2017, 02:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

They are actually pretty easy once you get a couple done. I just use 1/16 orings various sizes. Many guys on here have built them, all a little differently but same results. Steve, Ihbuilder makes his with thread on caps, I like that idea but yet to jump into internal threads on the lathe. . Look up his dozer build. The hardest ones I've done yet were the double acting telescopic ones for haul truck.

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...t=9048&page=87

It's a conglomerate of pics/ideas , on/off topics but possibly some useful info in there. My hard part is getting the internal oring groove. Trial n errors on the right depth of cut. Nothing out there for proper compression dimensions for our small stuff. Basically I found out if you can't move it in n out with very little force from fingers it's too tight. And it doesn't take much to seal (compression of oring wise). Clean, honed, polished cylinder and rod , straight too!! If you are getting tube get smooth walled stuff. Otherwise it may be welded tube and rough on inside. Look up on web basic cylinder design and pretty much just retain rod/piston and cylinder cap/seal. Fine to use alum for piston but not for cylinders as it gauls and contaminates easily.

Just ask whatever you need along way. There is no right or wrong way!! And they leak or they don't!!! Lol!!
Old 02-28-2017, 04:11 PM

Thanks very much for the info Cooper, it all helps to eliminate some of the guessing work, I will try and post my results.
Terry