RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 11-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Northern Farmer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RCP Compound

Wow! Now that's one memorable drive you won't forget The yellow Hayes dump truck looks bloody awesome!
Old 11-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Journeyman

FabOne is on a distinguished road

GREAT vids and pics Reg!! GREAT loking trucks. What an awesome way to spend a day with the wife.

-Terry
Old 11-15-2015, 08:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

It was a great day guys and I'm glad to have a wife that likes this kinda stuff! The logging truck is retired and will be taken home by the owner soon to begin a restoration next year. He relined her rear brakes on Wednesday and the rest is very mechanically sound(12V71 Detroit/Allison). She needs some cosmetic TLC and then it will resume it's former glory. I believe the truck is a 1973 and was bought new by BC Forest Products. It will be repainted to their colors, orange, green and white. BC Forest Products is long gone so this truck will be another tribute to a time long lost.

The dump truck is another friends truck(building the mini HD for him). He has a road building company and although he uses Cat ADT's mostly now, the Hayes and KW trucks he has still see use on occasion. This particular truck attends shows during the summer and is kept very nice as you can see. He was using it to help repair a landslide on one of the haul roads yesterday. Cool old iron!
Old 11-22-2015, 12:52 AM
Apprentice

DADSGARAGE is on a distinguished road

I see you have bin a busy boy with the compound and other builds but when is the next big 1/10 scale build??
Old 11-22-2015, 09:18 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes I've been busy that's for sure with my fingers on lots of different projects. Unfortunately I find that when I start working on stuff for myself nothing else gets accomplished so I have to limit my personal time to small projects. Doing that keeps me interested but not absorbed.lol I want to build myself something from scratch again soon but it will have to wait until people get tired of hiring me to build stuff. If that happens I won't have any money and won't be able to afford a new build.lol
Old 11-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Apprentice

People will never get tired of you building things for them...which is a good thing in one way but not so good in other ways...LOL....I know what you mean by getting "absorbed" once you start with a build its hard to focus on anything else, I still have stuff to make for the 777 but somehow lost interest in the last details now that I started with the front shovel, knew I shouldn't have started a new build until the last one is totally finished..lol..my little brain can only focus on one small task at a time ( the fact that I have an attention span of a three year old doesn't help either!! )

So if and when you start a big scale model what would it be?? I'll bet if you have a few ideas of what you want to build next. I'm already thinking of my next build....heehee...a nice big loader like an L950 ,something else big enough to load the 777.....well maybe someday, right now I need to focus at the task of building the shovel. Maybe when I retire I could have more than one build going at a time but at the rate I'm going I should be able to retire just a bit before the age of 95.
KP
Old 11-26-2015, 02:37 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADSGARAGE View Post
People will never get tired of you building things for them...which is a good thing in one way but not so good in other ways...LOL....I know what you mean by getting "absorbed" once you start with a build its hard to focus on anything else, I still have stuff to make for the 777 but somehow lost interest in the last details now that I started with the front shovel, knew I shouldn't have started a new build until the last one is totally finished..lol..my little brain can only focus on one small task at a time ( the fact that I have an attention span of a three year old doesn't help either!! )

So if and when you start a big scale model what would it be?? I'll bet if you have a few ideas of what you want to build next. I'm already thinking of my next build....heehee...a nice big loader like an L950 ,something else big enough to load the 777.....well maybe someday, right now I need to focus at the task of building the shovel. Maybe when I retire I could have more than one build going at a time but at the rate I'm going I should be able to retire just a bit before the age of 95.
KP
Well I hope you are right KP. I have my concerns that I will fill the need here that people have for things that haul dirt and I will run out of work. I'm not interested in selling on eBay and I don't have Facebook so this is my only gene pool to draw from.lol I guess I only really need a few wealthy(insane) customers with long build lists to keep me busy

I'm not sure what my next scratch build will be. I want a D8H or K, super snorkel, feller buncher, two more logging trucks to match the KW(Pacific P-16, Hayes HDX), and I would love a wheel loader. All of these brain farts are in 1/10 scale of course and are in no particular order. A big dozer would be so sweet but having a super snorkel to yard and load logs would make the logging truck more fun... I hope I live a long time....

Anyway, I got this a while back when JCR Excavating was downsizing their fleet. Jason was well into the conversion but spare time for these projects was not coming easy so I convinced him to sell me some of his stuff...

Tonight I was bored with TV and my wife is at work so I went out to the garage looking for something "me" related to do. I spent a couple of hours changing out the servo drives for gear motors on the tracks, machining delrin hubs that fit inside the "planetaries" to hold the sprockets to the motors and buzzing out the center of the swing gear to make it fit. Jason has already done the hard part of trying to get the geometry right for the Firgelli actuators on the boom so all I need to do is build some better mounts(Jason had asked me to do this before) and get the chassis setup.

Here's part one. No pictures of the tear down as it came to me in a couple of boxes....

Stay tuned...

video will be up shortly - https://youtu.be/vjwMYT-Tymg

Old 11-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I spent a couple of hours on this again late this afternoon. I can see why people convert these all the time. It is quite simple. Today's plan was to get it swinging and it went very easy. I machined the excavator's pieces to fit around the 360 servo providing a nice tight fit. I'm not sure what pitch the ring gear is but I was able to find a suitable pinion in my junk after a lot of searching. A couple of quick mods had it bolted to the servo and the house spinning! I'm not sure what I will tackle next. I will probably finish all of the stuff up top before buttoning up the track frames but we'll see.

https://youtu.be/D96ms9oTgSA

Thanks for looking.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:53 PM
Apprentice

Looking good....hey was that ring gear on the model....if so how did you get so lucky with finding a small gear for the sevo that had the right pitch???

Where did you get that little slip ring....I could have used one just a bit bigger for something.....lol....ended up making one from scratch and I hope it works.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADSGARAGE View Post
Looking good....hey was that ring gear on the model....if so how did you get so lucky with finding a small gear for the sevo that had the right pitch???

Where did you get that little slip ring....I could have used one just a bit bigger for something.....lol....ended up making one from scratch and I hope it works.
Thanks KP. It's been pretty simple so far and I hope it stays that way! The only time I enjoy these conversions is when they go smooth and fast. The ring gear is from a heli. I modified it to fit and bolted it to the track frame. The gear was a pinion off of a 540 motor with a 1/8 D shaft. I drilled out one end on the lathe to fit the servo tight then drilled through with a 1/8 bit removing the D. Flipped it around and machined a relief in the other end to hide the head of the mounting screw. The slip ring is from Robot Shop. I bought it almost two years ago for $18. I've since learned how to shop on eBay and realized that I got ripped off at $18.lol It wouldn't be heavy enough to run your lighting on the PC1800 let alone the tracks. Carry on with the scratch building sir!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

A bit more progress.... I need to get a couple more cheap ESC's for the tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDzWLcSqKjA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feViJF3-Z9I
Old 11-27-2015, 04:29 PM
Journeyman

FabOne is on a distinguished road

SUPER job Reg! Keep posting.

-Terry
Old 11-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Terry! I worked on it a little more late this afternoon finishing up the wiring to the drive motors, mounting the on/off switch and making an access hole for the battery plug. If I had two more Hobbyking ESC's the electronics would be done. Might have to steal one or two from elsewhere.

Reg
Old 11-28-2015, 04:55 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Seeing the radius curl of the bucket in your videos Reg, the 2 arms that attach from the bucket to the Firgelli could stand to be shorter, maybe 3mm to start with.

Joe
Old 11-28-2015, 10:01 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes it does stop curling in a bit early. The bad part it that it binds the radius arms but also the bucket bottoms out on the stick before the actuator is fully extended. Making new radius arms would be easy enough but I am hoping to leave the stick and bucket alone so I may just live with it. We'll see once it's 100% operational.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well she ain't pretty yet but it's 100% functional. I ended up busting out a brand new Sabertooth 2x12 to run the tracks. I also messed with the DR to set the swing up so it's less touchy and the bucket so it's more sensitive since it's a bit slow. This thing is fun!!!!!!! It could benefit from some stiffening here and there but I'm trying to steer clear of those mods....for now

https://youtu.be/uOxJ6prolSY
Old 11-28-2015, 11:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: RCP Compound

Reg.
That is 5 star convert all day long. May i say "Sir Plasticator" in transformation
Old 11-28-2015, 11:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Wallen View Post
Reg.
That is 5 star convert all day long. May i say "Sir Plasticator" in transformation
Haha, you crack me up Bo. Sir Plasticator doesn't have the same level of pride in himself but he gets by...
Old 11-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

Hey Bo now Reg has 2 name Sir plasticator/Aluminator lol
Old 11-29-2015, 01:32 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

Nice looking build Reg
A good addition to the fleet, will work well for light duty work, road ditching etc..

Greg