RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Euro Style Trucks and Trailers

Euro Style Trucks and Trailers A place for the Euro style trucks single and twin axle trucks and trailers...

Old 10-06-2016, 02:09 PM

Fourth Protocol is on a distinguished road
Default Mercedes Benz LPS 1418

Hi. New here. Building a Mercedes Benz LPS 1418 from the late 1960's.

Would love to do a 4WS rig like in the pic, but I'm going to take some artistic license and in the interests of my wallet do a 4x4 on a Tamiya High Lift chassis. All the things will open and close.

Going to build out the interior too. Can't find reference pics for the 1418, so I'm going with this:

Recently built a replica of an OM 352 (engine in the Unimog 416). Given that it turned out semi-ok I'm going to attempt an OM 346 for this build.

Found some original promotional reference material for the truck and the engine -

More later tonight.

Last edited by Fourth Protocol; 10-06-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Mercedes Benz LPS 1418

Right, progress. I'm about 3 weeks into this build.

Ordered a Tamiya Hilux High Lift kit from Hong Kong, and built it. I sized the build to the track width of this kit (220mm), which pegs scale at ~1:10½.

Didn't bother with things like servo covers, electrics tray and battery holder, as I'll make my own. Then I started on the cab.

Cut out some roof ribs, and notched them so that they'll slide into each other to provide accurate contours.

Dry-assembled it...

...and put a skin on it.

That 2mm base plate is coming off before it goes on the body, but that aside the roof is done.

Styerene at bottom right is a little thin and needs surgery...

Next step was to get the cab mounted on the chassis. Also cut out the grill, and played with some tyre/tire (delete as appropriate) sizes.

Which brings us up to date, pretty much. More to come as it happens.

Last edited by Fourth Protocol; 10-06-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Green Horn

gismow is on a distinguished road

Hi,

great project and fantastic styreen work.

Hope to see more soon....
Old 10-06-2016, 08:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Thats a heck of an enterance you make!

That's some really impressive styrene work. Are you planning just the truck, a 'straight frame trailer' like an aircraft fuel truck, or seperate truck and trailer?
Old 10-06-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gismow View Post
Hi,

great project and fantastic styreen work.

Hope to see more soon....
Vielen Dank! 'Nen Wort oder zwei krieg ich auch of Deutsch hin

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Thats a heck of an enterance you make!

That's some really impressive styrene work. Are you planning just the truck, a 'straight frame trailer' like an aircraft fuel truck, or seperate truck and trailer?
Thanks dude. It's mostly boxes and a decent set of reference drawings. No plans yet, but do have a colour (DB 6277 LKW Grün) - looks like this:

Haven't given the loadout much thought. Probably just something like the picture below, which really captures the essence of the truck as I remember it from my childhood.

Made some progress today. Cut out the pieces I'll need for the hinges on the grill. M1.6 and M2 bolts arrived, but no nuts, so that's as far as the hinges went.

Made a start on the inside instead. The floor is done, bar the clean-up.

Happily there's heaps of space in there for an engine.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:41 PM

Been working like crazy on this thing without much to show. Most of it was working back the ribbing and trying out different ideas for door hinges and pillars. Also managed to assemble the grill hinges, but haven't stuck them in yet.

The pillars were hard going. Well, putting them in was easy enough, once I'd worked out how it would hold a windscreen and support the roof.

Window frames are just resting on their own weight, so look a little more sunken in than they should.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:38 PM

Got the bumper shaped up.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Nice work! What thickness of styrene do you use primarily?
Old 10-11-2016, 03:30 AM
Green Horn

gismow is on a distinguished road

Hi...

That's really cool work and I learn a lot about building cabs from the scratch.

Many thanx for that.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Nice work! What thickness of styrene do you use primarily?
Thanks! The body panels are 2mm thick. The remaining parts are a mix of 2mm, 1mm and 0.75mm, depending on what I'm making. The curvy part at the front, for instance, has two layers of styrene - the first is 0.75mm, and the second 1mm. That's because just one layer would make the ribs show through - the second layer gives it a smooth look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gismow View Post
Hi...

That's really cool work and I learn a lot about building cabs from the scratch.

Many thanx for that.
Thank you! I think that's the idea behind forums - learn from what others are doing. I learnt a whole lot like that myself.

On to today's progress - transplanted the steering servo to the front to make way for the bed. Did this using the JunFac front steering kit for Tamiya High-Left axles (J44221). What I thought was going to be a 15 minute job turned out taking almost two hours. First, JunFac (GMade, really) assume all servos are equal. Seems some are more equal than others - mine needed belitteling at the waist, and embiggening in the screw holes.

Next, once fitted that servo mount gets in the way of the diff cover which, while gaudy, does serve to cover the hole through which the differential is locked and unlocked. In fairness JunFac call this out on their product page.

I don't want to disassemble and clean the axle after every run through water, so I had to do some remodelling:

So far so good, and no train smash. The train smash happened once I had it all assembled. Notice how close the steering servo is to the shift servo's arm? There's zero space left for vertical axle travel, and I'll probably have to stick a bump stop in there to keep it clear.

Adding insult to injury, with the diff cover in place steering is even more rubbisher than it was without. And stock Tamiya steering sucks monumentally enough without the help. The obvious fix is to get rid of the dish part of the diff housing cover, and simply leave the tab that covers the hole. That aesthetic is going to be an eyesore, so I'm better off just making a new track rod.

So pretty disappointed by the whole experience. Leaving it there until I think of something better though - I can at least get on with the body.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:17 AM

Lots of big steps coming so rather than get started I played with ride height last night. Because I know what this thing is going to be now.

And some comparisons -

I think it will end up between what's in the photos and what it was before. It's going to be a bush freighter in Mozambique so it needs to sit higher than an exclusively road-going truck, but not so high that it makes similarly-scaled trucks look small (as happens with the Bronco in the photo).
Old 10-13-2016, 09:03 PM

The first one is in.

The photos aren't very good. I'll do better when the other side's done too.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:18 PM

The sides of the grill are officially back in. Need to see how much space I have for a latch for the main piece, so stuck the makings of a dashboard in there with magnets.

Here it is from the front. Needs sills, so they don't close further than the body.

And open.

Windscreen is going to be interesting. I have 0.75mm clear perspex, but I doubt it'll hold the curve. Need to do some research...
Old 10-15-2016, 04:13 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Wow, thats some great progress!

Perspex (lexan) is thermoplastic, so if you make a smooth mold of the shape needed for the windshield you can gently heat the plastic with a heatgun or oven to soften it and work the plastic over the mold. When cooled it will hold that shape. Wood is probably the quickest/easiest way to do the mold.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Wow, thats some great progress!

Perspex (lexan) is thermoplastic, so if you make a smooth mold of the shape needed for the windshield you can gently heat the plastic with a heatgun or oven to soften it and work the plastic over the mold. When cooled it will hold that shape. Wood is probably the quickest/easiest way to do the mold.
First, thank you! Seond, thank you! :-) Did wonder. Making a mold is going to be interesting. Wood, as you say, makes sense. Will give that a try. My Father in law said he used to bend plastic with boiling water - might try that too, and then step up the heat with a heat gun if I have to. And also preparing myself for wasting loads of perspex learning how to do it...

Thanks again!
Old 10-15-2016, 03:48 PM

Procrastinating. Should be doing the door hinges and main grill hinges but painting up Wild Willy for the Oshkosh instead, cut out space for headlamps, and started the fenders/mudguards for the Mercedes.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the material thicknesses! Those fenders look great, I need to make some very similar to that for my current build.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:48 AM

Location: Mostly a little world of my own but otherwise in the Bolton area in the North West of England
Serviceguyuk is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Mercedes Benz LPS 1418

Fantastic build, I'll be watching this closely.

I used to see these Mercs here in UK during the 70s and I think they started my interest in all things truck related. Very sleek and streamlined for a cab-over

Your skill and attention to details is amazing and puts me to shame.

Keep up your great work

Mike
Old 11-14-2016, 08:43 AM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

Absolutely amazing!! What a craftsmanship.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Thank you for the material thicknesses! Those fenders look great, I need to make some very similar to that for my current build.
No worries. I have yet to make the second fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serviceguyuk View Post
Fantastic build, I'll be watching this closely.

I used to see these Mercs here in UK during the 70s and I think they started my interest in all things truck related. Very sleek and streamlined for a cab-over

Your skill and attention to details is amazing and puts me to shame.

Keep up your great work

Mike
Ha ha you need to look closer. Way too many mistakes, shortcuts and sloppy stuff. Curated photos rock Thanks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain Jack View Post
Absolutely amazing!! What a craftsmanship.
Thanks Kaptain! It's been on the shelf for a month now, because I had 7(!) unfinished builds here. Got one finished last week, need another week on the second, and then getting back to this one. So hopefully more updates before Christmas