RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Green Horn

FlyingBeagle is on a distinguished road
Default The One Project

I thought this might be an interesting topic to chew on here in the forums.

What is that project that you have on the shelf that you may have begun aquiring parts for then stopped, or have dreamed about or pondered on for a long time, but have never been able to get it started for whatever reason.

Why are you delaying it, Skill? Tools? Time? $$$$$???

I personally have several. In addition to the trucking and construction side of the RC hobby, I have been an avid RC Aircraft pilot for a number of years. I have several planes that I have acquired everything that I need to build, but I have yet to start them because I was either spending my free time flying, I was intimidated by the build, or just plain lazy... Last year, right after I discovered this side of the hobby my wife got pregnant with Triplet girls. Soooo, needless to say I havent done anything other than a little time here and there on the forums. I did purchase a few pieces of Bruder equipment over the winter, but have yet to even remove them from the boxes. The planes are now even further from the build table. If or when I ever get time to work on this hobby I hope to complete some nice conversions and maybe build a truck or two.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The One Project

I collect 1/18 scale cars and trucks also some of which are still in the boxes(yet to build or buy some nice display shelves.the other one is building a HO scale layout in my basement,when my wife and i lived in an apartment i had a small oval one set up and over the years i have been acquiring more bldgs,scenery,track,locomotives etc. We agreed that when we bought our house i get half the basement to build a huge layout.everything is sitting in boxes currently and a big mt space just waiting for me.the issue with me is time.and a firecracker lit under my you know where.i just need to build the benchwork for the foundation for the layout and i am sure the rest would follow soon after.to be honest in my limited spare time i would rather build my trucks and run them instead.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

" Intimidated or just plain lazy". Yup, that describes a phase I went through just recently. There were times during Sues truck build I knew the next thing to be done was going to be tough and only got one shot at it kinda thing. Or , just wasn't in the right frame of mind to be working on it at all. The days you have a short fuse are not good RC building days to say the least

Anyway, I'm happy to say I've gotten over the problem now thanks to one thing....a deadline!
the first RC show of the year for us and there is so much I need to get done in time so been heavy back into building the last 3 weeks now and loving it.
So maybe set a goal or target date for when and what you want to accomplish??

Mario
Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes mario i have had a few of those days and you are right about the dealine thing.it works i have been working hard to get my builds ready also...and as for the setting goals...well the layout will have to wait...lol
Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I know exactly what you're talking about FB, with the exception of the carpet sharks not on my list.

Somewhere in this cluster$%*& is five projects going on and I don't have workspace to keep either of them sorted! Such disorganization has been a great deterrent for lack of motivation. Drives me bonkers!!! ...my hobby has taken over my house... yrs ago!

BUT!!! The shell of the new Lil Giants workshop started going up today, the builder's crew will be back on Monday to finish their part of it... then get the guy to spray insulate sometime in the next couple weeks, then the cement crew maybe August, then me & my farm hand will finish it after harvest, hopefully before xmas... at least that's the plan anyway.

Joe
Old 06-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Joe that will be a nice shop with lots of room to work and move around now but after awhile it will get filled up. Take it from me I rented a garage for my truck and then the lathe and mill got larger and then a band saw and then a disk sander and a tig welder and table, well you get the idea that large space will get smaller fast mine did had to rent a half garage for the truck and now the double garage is the shop and is beginning to loose work space, you will see. Ed
Old 06-08-2013, 12:47 PM

louie r/c nut is on a distinguished road

Shop looks killer and it will fill up fast .
Old 06-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Green Horn

apfubar is on a distinguished road

I have been working on the low loader for a couple of months. I really wanted to make more of a "Aussie" version, but I keep falling back to the default approach of build it as per std. Use it then mod it.

Whilst I will build it, I will probably never mod it. I also agree that you have to be in the right frame of mind and alert to work on this stuff(productively).

The other one I want to do is make some more attachments for the 966 and the 944, but that takes some serious thought, and at the moment I already have too many(1 trailer, 2-3 trucks) unfinished projects.

AP
Old 06-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I have no problem starting projects! Finishing them is what gives me the trouble! There is always something else I want to build, and if I let that get the better of me, I find myself spread to thin, never getting any one thing completed. It used to be really bad, but I'm slowly getting better. These days I'm trying to stick to one project, before starting another, but I am still buying parts for the 'next project'. Eventually I'll get a truck done! Then I can start on the next big thing.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 PM

Hounddad is on a distinguished road

1/10 pulling sled.

I have been accumulating parts since fall of last year.
8' of 2"x1/4" al. flat
8' 1"x1" al. angle
10' ft of .25 chain,
4 different size sprockets
3' of 1/4" dia. steel for axles
handful of axle collars
set (4) tamiya duals

I haven't decided on bearings or bushings yet.
Otherwise the holdup on this project is the gearing calculations.
Hopefully the sled will be done this year.

Last edited by Hounddad; 06-08-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:43 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

When I finally made the decision last winter to build something this summer and started looking over costs, it was half again the original cost to double what I originally thought I would I build. Add in two interior walls @ 24', then 18' (last area will be 18' as well), that makes for a lot more bench top & shelf space and easier to control the heat setting where I will spend the most amount of time (primarily in the middle room).

It will only fill up as fast as I let it... I managed to make this 9x11 area in my house last 12yrs.

Joe
Old 06-09-2013, 12:27 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

the new indy is now going to be hosted in Sask? lol
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Green Horn

FlyingBeagle is on a distinguished road

That is a nice sized workshop. Dont forget when you pour the slab to leave a cutout so you can dig a tunnel to access the basement. You could stockpile all winter long in the front room of the shop and never get cramped for space.

My wife mentioned yesterday that she wants me to build a really nice detailed doll house for the triplets to play with in a few years. Looks like the builds and conversions may be pushed back again. I think I might have to build it to 1:14 scale.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

i built my wife a doll house for her bjd (ball-jointed dolls) the thing is 9ft x15ft since i did that she pretty much agrees to alot of things
Old 06-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

I like the new shop Joe ..With all thats going on there looks like you could use a full time mechanic too..lol....Is that back wall right corner facing the stockpile ?,,There gona Be overhead garage doors so you can drive the equipment in ?