RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MPE – 24M Motor Grader Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_farmer View Post
Just sick! just sick!

Where did U get that big 24M diecast?
Bought mine at Wheeler Machinery, here's a link for 1 source http://www.3000toys.com/brands/caterpillar.html

MPE, Like your creativity, Keep it up

Cheer's, Neil.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Green Horn

mpe is on a distinguished road

Actually the grader you see pictured is a 24H and the site that Neil mentioned http://www.3000toys.com/brands/caterpillar.html is where I bought it from. Not sure but I think that the 24H has been discontinued. The 24M in my opion is a much nicer model then the 24H in 1:50 scale.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe View Post
Actually the grader you see pictured is a 24H and the site that Neil mentioned http://www.3000toys.com/brands/caterpillar.html is where I bought it from. Not sure but I think that the 24H has been discontinued. The 24M in my opion is a much nicer model then the 24H in 1:50 scale.
You are right, mine's a 24 H, still like the model!

Cheer's, Neil.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Green Horn

I'm back. Sorry about the long delay on this build. I ran into some computer/ software issues and to make a long story short I ended up redrawing the entire model. One a good note I have a nice new super-fast HP mobile work station that works very well with SolidWorks 2013... I'm happy!
I do not have any parts to show as of today but I can give an update on the design progress.
Here are some images of the front end. This is/was the most complicated part to design so far. This part is out for quote and I am prepared for the worse as far as what the price might be.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Green Horn

Populated with parts...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Green Horn

One more...

Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Welcome back, I sat the other day looking thru this build and was worried if you had stopped the build.
Yes , I know the software problems, I make mine drawing in a Window98/SW98 computer, scared that it will stop working any time. Did buy a upgrade to SW2008 but didn´t get any code, and can´t find the original code so I guess I'm stucked to the old one.
Looks like the grader builder taking the lead here, With Ari, Stefan and youe self building 3 different brands/models in different scales to.
Looking forward to see pics coming.
Dan
Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

WOW Your grader is jaw dropping, it is one thing to watch the build but I am sure there is more folks watching this thread that want to TOUCH IT like I do ! ! ! Maybe just to see that it is real !
Your CAD work it crazy. Is it hard to learn or do you have some back ground in that type of work

Greg
Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 AM

Madda is an unknown quantity at this point

RCLogger, It is hard in the beginning because you really don't know what you are doing, but after you get it then it is a lot of fun!

MPE, I'm using SW also, your model looks very good! Can't wait to see it alive. Are you using the sheetmetal feature there? How the 2013 version is compared to 2012?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Welcome back, I sat the other day looking thru this build and was worried if you had stopped the build.
Yes , I know the software problems, I make mine drawing in a Window98/SW98 computer, scared that it will stop working any time. Did buy a upgrade to SW2008 but didn´t get any code, and can´t find the original code so I guess I'm stucked to the old one.
Looks like the grader builder taking the lead here, With Ari, Stefan and youe self building 3 different brands/models in different scales to.
Looking forward to see pics coming.
Dan
Thanks Dan... Hopefully what happened to me does not happen to you. My main issue was all the CAD files came from a different CAD software other than SW. After getting nowhere with the other CAD people I decided to upgrade and my thinking was I could export the files as iges into SW... long story short... yea it work but not all that well when it came to making the 2D drawing files. I found many in correct dimensions and radius, so I spent the last year redoing everything in SW.

Maybe one day Ari, Stefan, and myself can get all three of these graders together in one place for people to enjoy...
Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDCRAFT TRANSPORT View Post
Just as it was getting interesting NO MORE PICTURES more midnight oil needed.
Tim
Tim... Midnight oil is all I seem to have these days for this hobby.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLogger View Post
WOW Your grader is jaw dropping, it is one thing to watch the build but I am sure there is more folks watching this thread that want to TOUCH IT like I do ! ! ! Maybe just to see that it is real !
Your CAD work it crazy. Is it hard to learn or do you have some back ground in that type of work

Greg
Greg... Thanks for that compliment and yes it’s real!
Little history... I started CAD about 15 years ago and have been making my living designing parts and systems for the Hi-Tec industry for the last 10 years. The CAD is the easy part. Knowing how to make it all come together and work is sometimes the bigger challenge.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe View Post
Greg... Thanks for that compliment and yes it’s real!
Little history... I started CAD about 15 years ago and have been making my living designing parts and systems for the Hi-Tec industry for the last 10 years. The CAD is the easy part. Knowing how to make it all come together and work is sometimes the bigger challenge.
Awsome work .It Quite a challenge making everything fit .Look scale and Properly work .Im sure it will all work Quite well when done..Hats off on this Build ..Top 5 in my books Cheers and happy new year
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madda View Post
RCLogger, It is hard in the beginning because you really don't know what you are doing, but after you get it then it is a lot of fun!

MPE, I'm using SW also, your model looks very good! Can't wait to see it alive. Are you using the sheetmetal feature there? How the 2013 version is compared to 2012?
Madda, Thanks for your good words. No sheet metal at this stage. I will design the case parts using sheet metal features later down the road.

Not a lot of major differences in what I use but some differences that I use daily...
In assemblies I can insert mulitiply part at one time (Very useful).
They made creating section view in 2D drawings very simple. One click and a couple of adjustments to the section line and I am done!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 AM

Madda is an unknown quantity at this point

Both updates you mention seem very good, migh wanna try the new one.

If you aren't familiar with sheetmetal features then there is a button that can make your boss extrude into sheetmetal part, then you can unfold and other stuff with that part. Very useful, I make most of my parts that way (always going the easy route )
Old 04-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Green Horn

Just a heads up for all those that have been following my build. I should be getting some new parts in the next couple of weeks or so (finally!). I have a few issues with the main neck that had to be worked out - as I stated in a previous post, the neck is by far the most completed part on this build to date.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Good to see this thread is still alive! It slipped through the cracks, and it had been so long since I posted in it, I wasn't even sure if this was a new build or one I had missed! Incredible is the best word I can come up with. The axles, the rear frame, the tires, the rims, the attention to detail! I think this is one of about 4 or 5 top builds on this forum! Seems you guys with CNC machines are all cranking out models of this top notch caliber! Makes me feel like throwing in the towel on my simple, modest builds. I feel like a 2nd grader, stacking blocks or something, compared to what you are doing! Truly amazing work. When the updates come, I'll be watching, and drooling!

Just had to note, you probably have more fasteners in just the axles and hubs then about two Tamiya King Hauler kits. Speaking of semi trucks, please, can you post more photos, or a build thread of your (Kenworth?) tri-axle truck, sitting in the background? It looks every bit as incredible! I'd love to see more of it.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Welcome back, I'll send you some frame pictures, to make you feel better!
Ive been working on a grader for my Skidsteer loader, wanted to scrap it
Several times! Keep up the great work!
Cheers, Neil.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Good to see this thread is still alive! It slipped through the cracks, and it had been so long since I posted in it, I wasn't even sure if this was a new build or one I had missed! Incredible is the best word I can come up with. The axles, the rear frame, the tires, the rims, the attention to detail! I think this is one of about 4 or 5 top builds on this forum! Seems you guys with CNC machines are all cranking out models of this top notch caliber! Makes me feel like throwing in the towel on my simple, modest builds. I feel like a 2nd grader, stacking blocks or something, compared to what you are doing! Truly amazing work. When the updates come, I'll be watching, and drooling!

Just had to note, you probably have more fasteners in just the axles and hubs then about two Tamiya King Hauler kits. Speaking of semi trucks, please, can you post more photos, or a build thread of your (Kenworth?) tri-axle truck, sitting in the background? It looks every bit as incredible! I'd love to see more of it.

My apologies for the long delays on this build. There is a lot of work that is involved with this build from the design to the machining and everything else that falls in between. Dealing with vendors and machine shops - as we all know can be somewhat of a challenge at times... but besides all that just finding some time to be able to work on it would be nice!

Not to worry... this build is not dead. I will keep plugging away at it till I finish.

The semi is loosely based off of a peterbilt 365 daycab -another project that I have been working on in my free time. It still needs lots of work so at this point I am not ready to do a thread on the build but thanks for the compliments.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Welcome back, I'll send you some frame pictures, to make you feel better!
Ive been working on a grader for my Skidsteer loader, wanted to scrap it
Several times! Keep up the great work!
Cheers, Neil.

Neil,
If you have any pictures that I do not already have of a 24M that would make my day!
I say never scrap a build. I does not matter to me if it is the simplest to the most complex build.... if it has a motor and moves I love seeing it come alive in a build. As it was all of those simple builds that influenced me to seeing if it was even possible to building as close to real scale models that I now build.