RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Kenworth 850 Off Highway

Reg, You didn't by accident get her locked in between two different gears did you. That happened to me once. Blew fuses like crazy till I found that out. Also try putting it out of gear and see if the spindle still turns free.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:24 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Reg, You didn't by accident get her locked in between two different gears did you. That happened to me once. Blew fuses like crazy till I found that out. Also try putting it out of gear and see if the spindle still turns free.
Unfortunately no. Everything turns freely and was working perfect when I shut it off. It has a very faint smell of burnt electronics so I'm thinking it's something bad. I paid $5 for a pair of fuses so I don't want to try another set until I speak to the dealer. I bought two pairs but that cleaned out the only place I could find them... Stupid China crap!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Oh my Reg your tread made it to the second page ..time to bump it up ..miss having you post pics every day ..Better get that darn mill back up and running huh ..BTW steller work ..
Old 03-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Haha, I know Lou! Parts for the mill should be here this week so I have my fingers crossed that it will be back up and running soon. At least the dealer is working with me. The parts would have been here now but they(family operation) were headed to Taiwan for business and won't be back until tomorrow morning. They are going to strip parts off of a new machine for me and ship them out. I've been back at work 12 hours a day this week anyway so no time for fun....
Old 03-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Green Horn

Location: Mount Evelyn/Lilydale Area, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 3796
Kingcam2 is on a distinguished road

Hi Reg

Love that work you have put into Making the Kenworth 850 Offroad Highway Truck.

I will say one thing dame boy you are realy good at crafting things.

Can't wait to see your Kenworth 850 Offroad Highway truck with a coat of paint and it first test drive video.

From Cameron.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Cameron,

The parts for my mill should arrive tomorrow but I have a few days off starting today so I started working on the hitch. It looks ugly but I think by the time I am finished it will be OK. The diff gears are in at the hobby shop too so if the mill works I should be able to see this drive by next week...I hope.

Thanks for looking!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Green Horn

chaseracer is on a distinguished road

holy crap reg this looks good. great job wonderful craftsmanship
Old 03-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I finally got all the parts that I was waiting for so now when I have some time I should be able to get something done! I built a battery tray today and started working on the drive set up. I had to modify the end of the drill drive so that I could attach the driveshaft. Now I can machine some mounts and lengthen the driveshaft...

This was the most important piece that I was waiting for...well actually this is the piece that was replaced... In the circle you can see an unhappy part...

Reg

Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Good to see you're still making headway, Reg. Looks like a burnt transistor on your circuit board! You are an awesome welder! Your hitch, and the welds on that thing, gezz.... You could weld anything. The battery under the hood really helps put some perspective to the size of your build! Huge!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks a lot Nate. It is a "biggin" for sure. It's about 40 inches long now with the hitch on. No more using my car to trasnport these to the shows...unless I use my 1971 Chrysler Newport....I guess it has enough trunk space.

It was a bit of a hastle to get the parts for the mill but only because the courier couldn't properly read the address on the package. Anyway after a few phone calls and an extra day it finally got here yesterday afternoon and within about 15 minutes it was back up and running. Now everytime I turn the power switch on I cringe though. I guess it will take some time to build back my confidence in it. Appearently this isn't a very common occurance so hopefully it doesn't happen again. The warranty runs out in a few weeks so it may be out of my pocket if it does it again.

Reg
Old 03-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

Reg
I am not sure if there is enough trees left on the Island to load that MONSTER !
Old 03-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLogger View Post
Reg
I am not sure if there is enough trees left on the Island to load that MONSTER !
We'll find some somewhere... To be honest, I doubt it will haul a full load anyway. The hobby size gears in the diffs have me a little worried...only time will tell...
Old 03-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well I finally have twins....(this is the only kind I want too). They're not identical but they are close enough for the girls I go out with... Video to fallow later...

Reg

Last edited by RCP57; 03-16-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

The bogie assembly looking so good! The only "wrong" with this build is you build to fast, to little photos showing all the steps, like when doing the central gears with housing and other stuffs. If you have more photos, please share with us.
Congrates to the result!
Dan
Old 03-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Looks awesome Reg! Glad you got the mill up and running. I'm sure it will hold together for you, from here on out. Probably just a fluke. Those Savage differentials are pretty strong. I don't know anyone who has ever destroyed them. Even on the go fast brushless Savages, so I'm thinking you'll be surprised how much abuse these can take.

On a different note, why the discoloring on the axle shaft ends? Is that simply from cutting them to length? Pretty hard material?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Looks good Reg . only way to destroy those savage parts is misalignment . If that will even doo it I have them in use in my 2 heavy weights and both worked hard around here .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Some very nice work Reg those rear ends look great. Also Reg I saw some Helical Gear set for rears that RC4WD has part #ZG0059 that you may be interested in now or later

Last edited by JAMMER; 03-16-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks guys. I'm not too worried about the HPI pieces(they are in my R18 too) but I am concerned about the pinion gears that I used out front. I think that they won't strip but I'm pretty sure that I will have to weld them to the shafts. I have glued them and used the set screws for now though so we'll see.

The discoloration on the ends of the axles is from welding. I used 1/4" for the axles and 1/2" for the hubs. It was way easier for me to drill and weld on the 1/2" than machine all the axles.

I know I didn't take enough pictures but after not working on this for a couple weeks I was/am in a hurry to get some things happening! Everything will come back apart soon and I will take some "inside pics". My plan is to oil fill these before final assembley.

I just finished the motor/planetary mount...It's been a busy morning...just the way I like it!

and last but not least....http://youtu.be/zWWd4uyGTT0

Thanks for lookin!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Way to go Reg! It's alive Like the rear suspension.
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Craftsman

Snochaser will become famous soon enoughSnochaser will become famous soon enough

I'm just sitting back watching a beautiful blazing speed build again, now with a video and narrator . ewwww nice.

Ben
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343