RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Kenworth 850 Off Highway

You're a genius! I might have to give that a try. The only problem I see is that maybe the gasket would be a little to large for my tiny little truck!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post

You're a genius! I might have to give that a try. The only problem I see is that maybe the gasket would be a little to large for my tiny little truck!
Come on now lets not get too sarcastic....
Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Just made up some air and water lines out of some old scraps...

Old 06-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

The details you keep adding just makes the build even more impressive. If anyone is looking for ready-made H-channel rubber for windows, http://www.knupershop.de has two sizes and they are available through a US source, http://www.ModelMotorCars.com. I am using this for my Payhauler truck. (In the Knuper parts list it is under Profiles: Rubber H-profile.)

Ken

Last edited by sparkycuda; 06-03-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 06-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

That truck looks SOOOOOO good. And when you are driving in lower speed it looks very realistic. Guess those trucks was quite low speed specified to cope with the tonnage fully loaded.
About rubber H-shape. Don't find them special easy to work with. Have tried to get real glas into my cab and rubber keeps popping out. Was told you have to glue them to cab BEFORE trying putting in windows in them.
Reg, enjoying this build so much that a Pete and trailer coming higher in "to do list".
Dan
Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Reg, despite my little shenanigans, I seriously thank you for the window gasket idea. You're a great builder. Your plumbing looks awesome. You even painted the ball valve hand red. That's an eye for detail. So all these log trucks seem to have water tanks on them. Forest fire prevention? Hard to see how a diesel would start a fire in the woods, but it must have happened enough...?

And thanks for the link to the H-gasket material Ken. I'll have to give that a look!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
So all these log trucks seem to have water tanks on them. Forest fire prevention? Hard to see how a diesel would start a fire in the woods, but it must have happened enough...?
Great detail Reg, Really enjoyed your build. When I get time I want to read it through again.

Espeefan, The water tanks are to cool the brake drums when they descend mountain roads.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Great detail Reg, Really enjoyed your build. When I get time I want to read it through again.

Espeedfan, The water tanks are to cool the brake drums when they descend mountain roads.
Ahh, makes perfect sense! Thanks. I should have known better.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Nathan ..the water is for the Brakes ..Most of the logging shows here are quite high in these mountains and I have seen grades over 12%..Some of these roads a re very scary and most have no room for trucks to pass side by side ..They are always in radio contact to make sure they are in pullouts for the loaded to pass by ..Very impressive to have one drive by you full speed and fully loaded ..
Great ideas for the deails Reg ..cant wait to see this Brute in person ..It may steal the show in Duncan
Old 06-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Sorry Guys Steve Beat me to it ..lol
Old 06-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks for compliments guys. I'm trying to stay focused on the small details. This build has encouraged me to revisit my other stuff and add detail. Yesterday I did some stuff on the Euc and replaced some screws on the Volvo with scale bolts.
Nate, the red handle on the ball valve is shrink tube. Gives it the rubberized look.
My Dad put me in touch with the second owner of the real truck and he has some more photos of it for me. May be too late to add or change some things but hopefully it will help to display the model at shows. At any rate I'm excited to see some more photos of our local logging history.
Last November we took a trip up island to see my future sister inlaw and her boyfriend. He is a woods foreman for WFP so he took us out to see their current logging sites. One of the new roads was 30% grade! He said that only a couple of the drivers would haul on it, the rest didn't want anything to do with it! Scary steep and very narrow!

Reg

Last edited by RCP57; 06-03-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Back to work finishing up the 850... My parents were nice enough to take the horn in to the local chrome plating joint for me so it's now nice and shiny. Yesterday I messed around and made the rest of the windows as well as the grab handles on the drivers side. I'm in the process of remaking the exhaust tips as the angle was wrong so I'll be finishing up those today and getting a coat of paint on them.

Reg
Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Finished up the exhaust with new pipes, flappers and some paint. I got another good photo of the original KW today and seen some things I needed to add. The parts are made and I'm back to waiting for paint to dry...

Reg
Old 06-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Nice work Reg!
Your attention to detail on this truck shows how much this build means to you. ( and the fact you hate the detail work )
We have all been amazed during this build and it's nice to see it all continue and include the final touches

Thanks for keeping us posted and I hate to see the day you post the 850 as officially done

Mario
Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
Nice work Reg!
Your attention to detail on this truck shows how much this build means to you. ( and the fact you hate the detail work )
We have all been amazed during this build and it's nice to see it all continue and include the final touches

Thanks for keeping us posted and I hate to see the day you post the 850 as officially done

Mario
Thanks Mario, It has been a fun yet challenging build for me. I think the interest this truck has received both on the net and with some local "Old Timers" has given me the extra motivation to keep focused. All things must come to an end though and to be honest this is getting really close. Some details I will never know if I got right or not because there just isn't many pictures of the real truck. I still intend to build a low-bed for it and some time in the future it may get some sound and or smoke...just trying to get a clip of a "Buzzin Dozen" in action. A bit of a challenge in it's self now with all the modern 4 stroke engines replacing the green leakers...that and I am on the wrong end of the island to see any of these trucks in action.

I made up some steps for the frame behind the water tank. In the pictures I was loaned yesterday you can see that it had one on the drivers side...passenger side is a guess...some had both, some had one, and some didn't have either...I guess no one will ever know for sure anyway because the truck is long gone and the guys that worked around her don't remember or are gone too.

some new pics later...Reg
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Wannabe

Seilbagger is on a distinguished road

Hey Reg,

this is a real perfect truck, wish to have one for myself

1 million stars

Wolfgang

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Wolfgang!

It was my birthday today so I spent it like any other good day, working on my toys! I started off my day by loading up the 850 and various parts of my other equipment and heading to the sign shop. After spending about an hour there I now have decals coming for all of my machines. It will be a week or two before I see them but it should add some nice finishing touches to them.

The 850 also received it's steps today and I have a couple other pieces painted and waiting to go on...

Thanks for looking,

Old 06-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road

Very nice work! Great detailing!

Kerst
Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road

I think the problem your having is due to the bevel gear not having a solid back behind the teeth. It's spreading he teeth then braking them... If you look at the tamiya bevel gears you will see they are flat on the backside. This helps share the load . Looks like yours have a space between the teeth which will bend and flex untill it weakens it. ?

That being said I have broken a tooth on my globes bevel after pulling 4 bricks on my flatbed over curbs all day. I was making my steer axel come off the ground when climbing curbs or going over big bumps while on the throttle.

That's my .02 hope you get it resolved
Old 06-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Reg, try this link and see if you can get some audio. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...be.0xfqDArhcVs

Hope this helps!

Cheer's, Neil.