RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kenworth 850 Off Highway

Wow, that stretching come out nice,

Quote:
Thanks to my half-*** welding skills and my "superb" grinding ability
You have to weld good to be able to grind it smooth, and you didi it both!
Small question, from pics seen there's no crossmember between the 2 bogie brackets inside frame. This area is taking most stress on a real one, do you plan to add one here? What load are we talking about, have seen some of those timber trucks realy "overloaded"

And almost forgot, you are a quick builder, this qwill be ready within a couple of weeks I guess.
Dan
Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I have to admit that I was a little nervous about cutting the frame right in the middle and it getting really out of square. The next challenge was trying to figure out how to cut it. It wouldn't fit in my bandsaw but luckily enough I was able to cut it with my scroll saw. I had a crossmember welded in that also needed to be moved and I couldn't get at the welds with a grinder so I had to use a chiesel to bust the welds. It all turned out OK though, it just took a couple hours.

Yes Dan there will be a crossmember between the rear axles but I haven't got any good pictures of it so I have left it until later. Tomorrow I am taking a trip up island for business and there is a yard on the way where 5 of these trucks sit. I will be stopping to take pictures and some measurements. After that I should have all the info I need to finish the truck. I hope to have it completed soon but I don't know if a couple weeks is realistic! I started it a month ago today I believe, so probably another few weeks yet...

Reg
Old 02-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

WOW great fix on the frame! I think your welding skills look pretty good!! You amaze me every update how much your getting done!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

This build is just amazing. The machining & fabrication is something I could only wish for. Found this video on YouTube showing a Mack (I think it is the same model - has an off-set hood) with a Cummins 1710 engine. Not much in the way of a video but does show the truck. Keep the pictures coming!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxLujeud65Q

Ken
Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks again guys. I went and looked at the real trucks today with my Dad. I took over a 160 pictures and made some measurements. I think I have everything I need to finish the truck now. The trucks all had the trailers too so I was able to get some photos of them as well but when the trailers are loaded up its pretty difficult to do much measuring. I think that I will need some more info before I try to build a trailer.

Ken, That Mack in the video is similar in design and size but different all together. Mack did make a log hauler though for this area. It was called a CL350. Hayes HDX, Pacific P16 and KW 849-850 were the most popular trucks around here with a few of the Mack CL350 and later on, very few Challenger trucks thrown in the mix.

These are the trucks that we looked at today. They are just in a different spot on the property now and have grown some more westcoast slime. These trucks are a few years newer than my model reference but are virtually the same.

http://youtu.be/Tg3nGZH2x2c

Thanks, Reg
Old 02-07-2013, 02:20 PM

wingnut163 is on a distinguished road

if you get a chance to watch TV. there is a program called swamp loggers.
the hall trees out of the swamp to the mill in NC. the cut, trim and load. nice show.

skip
Old 02-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut163 View Post
if you get a chance to watch TV. there is a program called swamp loggers.
the hall trees out of the swamp to the mill in NC. the cut, trim and load. nice show.

skip
I like that show. I haven't seen it for a few years though because we don't get the channel that it's on anymore. It was some of the inspiration behind my tigercat skidder.

I started on the water and fuel tanks last night. I was up early and in the shop at 5:30 this morning putting away because I had other things to do during the day today. I managed to make my way back to the shop late this afternoon and almost have them finished.

Thanks for lookin!

Last edited by RCP57; 02-08-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

It looks great, Reg. I can see all your other models in the background. You've built yourself a really nice collection. No doubt you are proud.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:19 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Nice work Reg you are a master of metal for sure and I agree with Nathan, nice collection and should be very proud

Mario
Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Now that is what you call scratch built great job Reg. Ed
Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 AM
Green Horn

chaseracer is on a distinguished road

Looking good Reg ... Great skills ... Can't wait to see this in person
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Craftsman

Diesel Demond is on a distinguished road

some of the best skills Ive ever seen wish i could make my own truck. this is a beast of a project to just start learning as you go!!!! a very unique truck.

Flat bedders do it with chains and straps,but now im yanking 53's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I really appreciate the compliments guys! ...Jason, you have my number and you're welcome any time....
After looking at the real trucks the other day I figured out that I was given some miss information on the trucks wheelbase. It turns out that is around 236 inches not 225 so another frame stretch was in order... I did manage to do one thing productive today though. I finished the rad gaurd... There were a few "F" Bombs dropped while trying to weld this together but it looks OK. Sometimes I really wish I was working with styrene not metal but I'm sure it has it's faults too!

Thanks for lookin!

Reg
Old 02-11-2013, 05:02 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

"Small question, from pics seen there's no crossmember between the 2 bogie brackets inside frame. This area is taking most stress on a real one, do you plan to add one here? What load are we talking about, have seen some of those timber trucks realy "overloaded""

Dan, I finally finished the rear crossmember yesterday. It went together fairly easy so that made me happy. I'm running out of excuses for not starting on the rear axles....

Old 02-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Very impressive Reg, this build is realy notching up truck builds! Looks very solid, nice parts around bogie. Can see you frustration remaking it another time. If not crossmembers in place you might have could slided bogie to the rear and "only" extend rear overhang. Like those machined bogie brackets.
Dan
Old 02-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Green Horn

cdm is on a distinguished road

Love the use of the wood planks!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Nice work on that rear cross member, Reg. That looks really good, and it should be plenty strong! I'm looking forward to seeing you build the axles. That's something I don't think I could ever tackle myself. I am sure you'll have no problem with it. What are you thinking of using for the differentials? Keep it up! This build is awesome.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 AM

Madda is an unknown quantity at this point

You Sir are very good at manual machining! Really like the details you're putting in it! Keep it up!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks very much guys, you all make me feel like I'm doing a good job so thanks!

I spent the day today making hubs for the rear wheels. I felt like I was listening to Tony Beets telling Parker how to look for gold on Goldrush....Drill holes, drill holes, drill holes! By the time you center drill them all and then drill them to size it's quite time consuming! I think they will look pretty sharp though when finished.

Nate, My plans have been to run either HPI diff gears like I did in my Euc, or else use cordless screwdriver motors on each wheel. When I finished machining the hubs tonight I was able to try a screwdriver motor and I stripped it in my hands so I guess I will be using the HPI gears. The diffs in these trucks are quite complicated so I'm not really looking forward to it but I guess I have no other option....

Reg