RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Kenworth 850 Off Highway

come on , stop procrastinating and get them done I wanna see this thing running tomorrow the HPI assemblies are pretty simple to use . I made new shafts for the mack rears instead of using the cups that come with them . thats the simplest , but you loose some scale look going with the spit axle .the loader , I made pined shafts well , a bolt that you screw in through the cup into the shaft once the shaft /bearing assembly is slid into the axle case .

Oh great job on the hubs know what you mean on the holes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

The diff sets that I have don't have the cups on them. The axles(self made) slide into the spider gears. I'm not really to concerned with making that part of it work but the Clark diffs use a seperate gear train to offset the driveline from the pinion shaft and that's what I'm worried about. I don't have a good selection of gears for that and neither do the local hobby shops, not to mention that they want around $10 a piece for them and I don't know what I need for sure. At any rate I will figure it out, it will just take some time. I may have to buy a couple new drills and steal some gears... The drill drive that I will be using for power will put around 8000 ounce inches of torque to the axles in low gear so it has to be very strong!

Reg
Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

I see , I'm doing the exact with the truck rears I'm making for the 14th scale . I was trying to use the tamiya insides but not sure they will work . I have torn they're pot metal gears apart on my heavy haul tractor . You'll have to look beyond most local hobby shops for the right stuff . I found this place , http://www.qtcgears.com to get my id ring gear for my twins . they're close in price as the 1 Ari gave me a link to .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 AM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

A lot of drilling and indexing but looks great! Did you tap each hole or use non-threaded bolt heads or what? I have a similar situation with my Payhauler hubs that require wheel studs with clamps and nuts and am always looking for ideas on different ways to do things. Your craftsmanship is amazing!

Ken
Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Have you looked at Boston gear or stock drive products for pricing?
Cheers, Neil.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:47 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks for the link Steve. I'll have to see what I can dig out of my "collection" but if I can't find anything useful I may order from them.

Thanks Ken, The holes are just drilled and the bolts pushed in. No threading! I know what you're saying with the wedges to hold the wheels on but I won't be doing that. I think my plan is to just bolt through the rim into the hub on these and just fake the wedges.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Would the TXT-1 axles be similar to what you're after for an offset?

Joe
Old 02-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Those diffs are quite a bit different Joe. I did find a set of 1/8 scale diffs on a German site that are very close and they even had working planetaries but I think I would have to sell my house to afford them!

I took a couple days off from the 850(went and looked at the real trucks again yesterday) but I was back on it a little today. I built the ladders on the water tank and the engine side covers. I also mounted the fuel and water tanks to the rails.

Thanks for looking!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

Reg your alunumim welding is great, I am going to come down one day and get a lesson.

Great looking truck..
Old 02-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Green Horn

Trucker_Jo is on a distinguished road

Wow your work is some of the best I have ever seen on here. I love your attention to detail and cleanliness of your work. You have inspired me to build a 1/14 scale side dump that I have been holding off for a while now. Now I just have to convince my shop teacher to teach me how to weld aluminum...hmmm
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful! How do you stay so motivated, Reg? Sometimes I get frustrated when things don't work out right, and I find myself taking a break. I'll always come back later, with fresh ideas, and work through it, but it just seems like you keep the momentum rolling, no matter what.

The grille guard and ladders looks really nice. With the hood side panels on there, it almost looks complete!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:45 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLogger View Post
Reg your alunumim welding is great, I am going to come down one day and get a lesson.

Great looking truck..
Thanks Greg, you are welcome to come down anytime! I'm not sure if I could teach you much though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker_Jo View Post
Wow your work is some of the best I have ever seen on here. I love your attention to detail and cleanliness of your work. You have inspired me to build a 1/14 scale side dump that I have been holding off for a while now. Now I just have to convince my shop teacher to teach me how to weld aluminum...hmmm
Thank you very much! I'm happy that I could inspire someone else to start a project. I really believe that if it wasn't for this site I would only have two pieces in my collection(maybe that would have been better lol). Welding aluminum can be a bit frustrating but you can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Beautiful! How do you stay so motivated, Reg? Sometimes I get frustrated when things don't work out right, and I find myself taking a break. I'll always come back later, with fresh ideas, and work through it, but it just seems like you keep the momentum rolling, no matter what.

The grille guard and ladders looks really nice. With the hood side panels on there, it almost looks complete!
I'm not really sure what motivates me Nate. I'm just trying to stay busy and sane I believe. I think working on this stuff is relaxing to me but only if I can get a lot done at once. I'm a commercial fisherman so there's no getting paid just for being at work and if we don't produce a big catch then we don't make any money. I think that spills over into everything else I do. Sometimes that hurts my builds because I don't spend enough time on a single part but I am getting better with that...I think I used to work on cars/trucks but that hobby got too expensive so here I am!

Thanks for all the compliments! They help to keep me motivated too!

Reg
Old 02-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Got a start on the air cleaners, mufflers and air tanks today. From the front I'd say it's starting to look like a truck.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Getting better everyday Reg!
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Wow! I like that. Nice work Reg. You're going to have to start the rear axles pretty soon, eh? You're going to run out of detail parts to make pretty soon.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Haha I know! I wanted to start on them last week but I'm waiting on some gears. The parts were supposed to be in yesterday but they never showed up and now it looks like it won't be til the end of the month. I have a LOT to do yet but it sure would be nice to see it move!
Old 02-17-2013, 03:10 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Can almost hear the engine started! Those hubreduction sides looking good. Is tires solid so they can cope with high loads?
Dan
Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Can almost hear the engine started! Those hubreduction sides looking good. Is tires solid so they can cope with high loads?
Dan
No the tires just have foams Dan, but I will be making new ones from some fairly dense stuff that I used in my Euc.

I didn't work on the 850 much today because it was way to nice outside for a change. I did manage to make the air cleaner mounts though. Another strap will be added for final assembley.

Thanks for lookin
Old 02-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The straps and mounts look great, Reg. Mind if I ask what material the straps are made from, and do they actually sinch the cleaners up tight? Or are they just a detail added for the right look, and the cleaners are actually bolted up some other way? Just curious, because I'm getting close to making some tank saddles, and tank straps for my KW. I like to get ideas. I have some already, but more is always good!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Green Horn

chaseracer is on a distinguished road

Holy crap Reg looks amazing... Simply awesome