RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 03-04-2015, 12:34 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Hey Cooper, can you limit travel via radio endpoint settings?
Cheers, Neil.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Hey Cooper, can you limit travel via radio endpoint settings?
Cheers, Neil.
Not really, if the travel on the actuators is changed any the landing legs will still move as far as they are allowed. They are the least resistance between landing legs (trailer lift) and gooseneck lifting. And that changes depending on load. With no load on trailer the trailer will lift first then the neck goes up. With load on the neck goes up first then trailer. That's one of the pitfalls I ran into on this build. It looks simple but getting the right locations for pivot points was a challenge. I am working on cutting some 1/2" angle iron for stops. It may be the perfect solution as I have a large area to weld to the ibeams and the 1/2" side can rest against aluminum landing leg flat. More surface area to contact resulting is stronger support and they are only 1.75" so not adding much weight.

Just got done plowing / shoveling ice and snow since 5 this morning. I think I may go groundhog hunting this summer, completely wipe out groundhog Phil and his family!! Three more weeks of winter!! I'll show him three more hollow points of summer!!! I just hope all this snow and ice doesn't melt too fast as I may not get to the river lot till summer!! Some more coffee and hopefully some time to mill those stops for the trailer.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

RW, just one more thing to think about. Right now you're lifting on a hard surface and it's looking real good. But it's going to change on soft ground! the bottom of those legs will go straight in unless you have some surface area to support that much weight. Just thought I'd throw that in before you make the stops. I'm sure you'll need more area to sit on.
Rob
Old 03-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yeah, another thing,, lol!! I haven't milled much on the landing legs yet, or made any type of shoe. Making sure the basics work first. But I do plan on having some sort of shoe. Originally those aluminum legs were configured opposite how they are now. May make new ones as the hole locations are what was needed. Didn't want to get too much into them if they were just learning parts
Old 03-04-2015, 10:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

This is some of the basic part of what I'm thinking for shoes. I'm trying to have them front heavy so they lay flat when in transport, resting against landing leg. Probably have a set screw in landing leg to keep pin in place. No good clearance for e-clips, and may have to change to set screws on outer pivot arms to increase clearance for shoes. Everything is tight as in no wobble but loose enough for ease of movement.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I was getting frustrated with messing with landing legs so I temporarily gave up on them to start work on wheel well supports.

They are just set in place for an idea. I think I am going to leave the back end open, possibly some mesh on bottom of frame for storage/wood blocks. Like on some of the 1:1

This is our new safety inspector, he has been doggin me a lot lately, can't find a compromise with keeping shop clean and safe whenever he drops in unannounced.

And after he got done barking safety compliance issues I shrugged them off and went back to work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Now he really has a bone to pick with me about shop safety. Lol!!!! I harpooned my finger with some sheet metal, pic makes it look bad but it was just a flesh wound and a little tissue, electrical tape, and a good dose of that s$&@ that stings all is well!! .
Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

RW, you're a hazard to your own health LOL. It's amazing how sharp that stuff is! 25 years in a sheet metal shop, so ask me how I know!! Great start on the feet as they'll be self leveling.
Rob
Old 03-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

And an idea of the rear, have to make some flaps too. I wasn't planning on lights but these look good I think.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
RW, you're a hazard to your own health LOL. It's amazing how sharp that stuff is! 25 years in a sheet metal shop, so ask me how I know!! Great start on the feet as they'll be self leveling.
Rob
Yes, I'm usually very careful, self employed, self insured, self medicating (lol!!). I don't really like working with steel prefer alum!! The legs just got me frustrated as I need to make new legs to fit everything the way I want and just took a deep breath and decided to move to something else before the big toolbox had to be opened, the one with hammer and vice grips!!

Thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

hey coop you make any headway with the FrSky Taranis? I just bought one today
for the china kat
Old 03-05-2015, 11:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I did set up my excavator with an 8channel rx. I still have to do some more with travel, limits ect. And the trailer is using that system. In short I haven't really got into it yet. I did change both sticks to centering. Easy to do. So far I think it is a great system, can't beat the functions along with price. I'll try and dig up the info I have on it. I did download the computer program but I haven't set up any models from the computer wizard. But I do have to get on that soon, as I want to have stuff set up and be able to remember what does what before cabin fever.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1866206

A great thread here.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

And the manual.

http://frsky-rc.com/download/view.ph...=Manual-TFR8SB
Old 03-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Oops wrong manual but frsky site, manual is like 50 pages!! Covers everything.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Now the craziness starts!!! The trailer is 7" wide (same as edges of tires on truck ) with the side extensions adding almost one inch to each side for a total extended width about 8 3/4- 8 7/8" wide almost 9". The excavator will have a good 75% of each track on trailer. I'm estimating 11 of these on each side. To facilitate not having a workforce of elves I decided to make this jig. I will be able to "pinch" the tubes the shafts run through so when not in use they will lay flat against inner frame rail. Originally I was going to make removable ones and add a compartment in frame to house them but these will pull from the imperfections in my welding my eyes are trained on. I thought about cutting holes in them but some of the 1:1 supports are solid so I'm keeping them solid. And only have to drill one hole in top of ibeams for shaft to slide through. Then the decking will hide holes.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Nice work RW! Especially having a butchered finger and all.
They look great but looks like a lot of work. I figured you might do 3D printed parts for this instead? ..... Then again, it's all metal up to this point, why stop now eh?
Old 03-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Mario, I have been really struggling with the ability to print parts for this, every day I walk by the printer and sigh. Yes it's been all metal and trying to keep up that way. I just wasn't sure if the printer parts would be strong enough, as keeping thin on things and the plastic would have to be thicker to get he strength. The plate steel appearances of parts. Like on the outriggers I have under 1/4" to tuck them in frame with hindge. Hey the wheels are printed!!! Lol!!! Idea for mud flaps and hangers,,,,, I'm pretty sure I was looking a bone inside my finger the other day, re dressed the bandage and the super glue held the skin back together. Been keeping an eye on it and looks fine. Why is it always the pointer finger? That's the one that touches everything!! And I'm reminded as it is still a bit "touchy". Lol!!! Almost 5, the safety inspector is expected and I'm sure he is going to hound me some more. . Lol!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

You got them all done yet? They're looking good!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Glad it wasn't the dog drawing, First Blood!
Old 03-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
You got them all done yet? They're looking good!
Haaaa!!! Still cutting pieces!!! Want to go beat my dog!!! But not as bad as making dozer tracks!!!!!! Lol!!