RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Get it out of your system! HERE!

Get it out of your system! HERE! You have a gripe,bone to pick, Tamiya vs Wedico or just have to let it out! THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE TO DO IT!

Old 11-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Stupid mfu that keeps shutting down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy View Post
Yep you bet just lay it on a hard surface such as concert then run it over with your car or truck or you can also use a large hammer.. All joking aside no I dont think so that is built in for choppers and plains..
Had to read that a couple times, Paul. Concrete, and planes?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:30 PM

phillyknight is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tried the the RDS8000 for trucks/crawlers?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy View Post
Yep you bet just lay it on a hard surface such as concert then run it over with your car or truck or you can also use a large hammer.. All joking aside no I dont think so that is built in for choppers and plains..
LOL! great sense of humor TC Still learning
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Tamiya Rep

janderson will become famous soon enoughjanderson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_duty View Post
I am using a futaba 9c 2.4 ghz.This is the same set up I ran with last year at Indy.No problem.I tried resetting the set up on the mfu,u know press white button and left stick up/down,left /rite. and so forth.This is bull crap.

Ed
Yes 2.4ghz does not work well with our MFU. Some have said they got it to work but direct from us it is sketchy. Your best bet is a analog FM/AM setup.

If you are going to try 2.4ghz make sure it has analog trims, those seem to have the best chance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by janderson View Post
Yes 2.4ghz does not work well with our MFU. Some have said they got it to work but direct from us it is sketchy. Your best bet is a analog FM/AM setup.

If you are going to try 2.4ghz make sure it has analog trims, those seem to have the best chance.
Yes, I have a Futaba 2.4 with analog trims. I had trouble at first till I realized the right joystick vertical trim cant be in the center position. I have it just south of center and all works well. If I place it in the center position the truck starts and stops all the time.
I purchased a DX6 recently, will be installing this winter. Hopefully it works well and I don't have to run it over or smash it with a hammer! Lol

Mario
Old 09-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

I have had problems with the 2.4 Futaba and I am not a fan of the DX6 or 8 or whatever but I do have a RDS 8000 and it works perfect and a number of guys on the board have the RDS 8000 and have no issues and it is 2.4.

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

Old 09-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

I like my dx5 works every function perfect everytime with digital trims, and i never have to move or adjust my trims for all features to work.... i flip my hi lo rate up and my (r) stick will control the lights and hazards, or flipped down controls the horn, can shut down and start truck, control 5th wheel etc... Guess im just a lucky how i got it setup.

Last edited by dabears; 09-24-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

2.4 will work with the MFU, u just have to make sure that ur settings are all centered when setting it up and go thru ur setup-motions slowly. I am using both the rds8000 and the 10g from airtronics will running dual-rates @ 100%, all functions works with just the sticks and no trim movement necessary.
I have talked a couple of guys thru on the futaba, but no personal experience with them.

Rob

Last edited by rc_farmer; 09-23-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Tamiya Rep

janderson will become famous soon enoughjanderson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_farmer View Post
2.4 will work with the MFU, u just have to make sure that ur settings are all centered when setting it up and go thru ur setup-motions slowly. I am using both the rds8000 and the 10g from airtronics will running dual-rates @ 100%, all functions works with just the sticks and no trim movement necessary.
I have talked a couple of guys thru on the futaba, but no personal experience with them.
I said it will not work well with 2.4. We (Tamiya) recommend a AM/FM Analog radio for true plug and play use.

If you choose to use a 2.4 you may find issues, as the MFU was not designed for use with 2.4 radios.

Just be aware...

-->

Old 11-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

if your using Spektrum equipment, different recievers have different levels of working well with the mfu. I know of one good fella that has pefect success with the combination that he worked into. Turns on, off, has all of it's functions - spektrum 2.4GHz

some of the issues with the spektrum stuff is the fail safe functions......maybe this is the issue with other 2.4 systems.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM

Mawler1 is on a distinguished road

with the MFU make sure your batteries are all good, as ones with a dead cell will probably play up on you... I have a 1400 Mah Nicad that I've earmarked as not to go back in my truck (metallic Jade Green Knight Hauler) again... but will probably still be okay for my Juggernaut 2 and TXT-1..

said battery ran okay for a few minutes then shut down and the clearance lights were flashing and I thought my MFU had blown up... so I charged up a battery up and it was right as rain! YAY!

that being said I am using the Futaba 4VWD radio gear... went for something simple.... but might change in the future...
Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 AM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road

I was a bit worried after reading the thread, as I have a Futaba T6J 2.4Ghz radio and a MFC-02.

After plugging everything in, I was releived to see everything was working out of the box, for the execption of the blinkers.
After playing with a few things, all of a sudden the MFU turned off. Panicked for a bit, then realized the battery was slow.

Tonight I'll see about getting the blinkers going. I read a bit, and it seems that I have to use dual rates. Any hints?
Also, the radio has the option for Airplane or Heli, which changes default settings. Does that matter much which one I start with?

It is also possible to rotate the knobs? For example, have the L/R stick now be Up/Down and the Up/Down be L/R? Just wondering as it may be more convenient for my hands.

I will try to make the 2.4Ghz work as it is more convenient. If all else fails, I have a 4channel analog radio that I can use. I'd also rather have the 6 channel for the added options.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Master Builder

To get your blinkers to work properly, you may have to do a couple of things:

1. adjust the position of your knuckle-rod on your servo horn.....
the blinking function will work at a mininum EPA setting, i.e 80% and above....this may vary slightly with radio brand. Having said that, if your servo rod is farther out to the end, you may get over-throw before your blinking function will work, thus binding your servo.

2. once you get you mechanics set, you can then adjust yoiur End Points to the desired throw all the way to 150% or as far as your servo will travel w/o binding.

Rob
Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:

the blinking function will work at a mininum EPA setting, i.e 80% and above....this may vary slightly with radio brand. Having said that, if your servo rod is farther out to the end, you may get over-throw before your blinking function will work, thus binding your servo.

2. once you get you mechanics set, you can then adjust yoiur End Points to the desired throw all the way to 150% or as far as your servo will travel w/o binding.
Ok, I'll give that a try.
I changed my radio's joystick configuration. Ratchet is now on the left stick, for left to right. That was a bigger job than I planned, and did not know how to go about it.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 PM

Red face Re: Stupid mfu that keeps shutting down

Quote:

How do I know if the servo is binding?
I moved the knuckle rod inward on the servo horn. I played a bit with the EPA settings for the steering (cha 1) and the option channel (ch 2 for my case). I also adjusted the D/R on ch 2 until I got the channel to work at switching the light functions while maintaining the high beam and horn function.
I assume I'm close, as for every ten times I try the blinkers, they work.
I also cranked the EPA on the streering to 140% to get more streering angle. Should I bring it back down and concentrate on ch 2 functions until I get the blinkers to work every time?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Since I got into this hobby not long ago, all my radios have been 2.4 ghz. The first had digital trims so couldn't run the extra functions. The next had analog trims and I got all functions but the unit can have its bad days. Very sensitive, do something too quick or if everything isn't just right , you can't switch modes.
I have learned to deal with and can recognize when something isn't right but I knew if my wife was going to enjoy the hobby and enjoy her truck I needed something more reliable.
I heard that FM radios work well with a MFU but require an antenna unlike the 2.4 . I purchased a Airtronics FM radio for her truck.
I am absolutely amazed at how well and trouble free this radio works on this truck! All commands work on first attempt, engine never shuts down on its own! So easy to run! And the antenna issue was easy to deal with.... I secured the antenna wire to one of the exhaust stacks. As far as I see it, the stack is copper, not sure what the chrome may effect but, so far so good ( indoors )
For almost a year I just didn't know any better and lived with 2.4 issues. Never again, I will be switching my truck to FM also! .....
Anyone looking to buy a couple 4ch 2.4 radios??

Mario
Old 06-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Green Horn

heavy_duty is on a distinguished road

Robert and I have been plugging away at this issue.I have a futaba 10c with 2.4ghz,and I installed it in a new truck I am building and it shuts down and starts back up.I didn't give up this time,I swapped motors,batteries,and plugs.Same problem.Servoes are new.I then removed all plugs from the mfu to the receiver and plugged them in one by one.I left the plug from the mfu to the receiver labeled motorized legs,out of the receiver and MY TRUCK RUNS PERFECT.I reinstalled that plug and mu truck dies and restarts.I removed it and I AM STILL TRUCKING.No one fix fixes all,that is just my experience.Thank you Robert,

Ed
Old 06-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_duty View Post
Robert and I have been plugging away at this issue.I have a futaba 10c with 2.4ghz,and I installed it in a new truck I am building and it shuts down and starts back up.I didn't give up this time,I swapped motors,batteries,and plugs.Same problem.Servoes are new.I then removed all plugs from the mfu to the receiver and plugged them in one by one.I left the plug from the mfu to the receiver labeled motorized legs,out of the receiver and MY TRUCK RUNS PERFECT.I reinstalled that plug and mu truck dies and restarts.I removed it and I AM STILL TRUCKING.No one fix fixes all,that is just my experience.Thank you Robert,

Ed
I learned something too Ed, sometimes it takes two heads working together. I am glad you are up and working.

Rob
Old 06-15-2013, 10:06 PM

Animal is on a distinguished road

Hi All, I was just rereading this thread, and wanted to add my two cents. I was running an older Futaba Conquest FM radio in my Globelinner for a long time. From the beginning, I was getting some minor glitching, and after trying several different things to fix it I ended up converting the radio to 2.4 ghz. the only difference is, like some others have found, I no longer need to use the trims. When I want to change something I just move the appropriate stick to the end of it's travel. I would like to say to janderson, you seem to be somewhat defensive about Tamiya's MFU. Instead of giving people a hard time about using 2.4 ghz radios with the MFU, wouldn't it make MORE SENCE TO REDESIGN THE UNIT TO WORK WITH NEWER 2.4 ghz RADIOS!!! After all if we as customers have issues with a product, we will look for something better, as some already have. Sorry for the rant, but I have an issue with companies that don't listen to consumers thoughts, when they depend on those consumers to survive.