RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Metal forming & tools

Metal forming & tools If it bends,twists,welds,cuts & turns metal.Post it here

Old 03-09-2011, 08:36 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough
Default If you had 1000 dollars what mini mill would you buy?

OK guys I have been doing some checking on the web for a good mill to buy and there are so many out there! I appreciate the replies on my other thread, but I would like to see some more ideas on good mills. There must be 50 different ones As always, thanks in advanced!

Brian

Last edited by Brian in PA; 03-11-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: If you 1000 dollars what mini mill would you buy?

none I'd buy a good used BP

Brian , I made a mistake buying a mini , so I don't know how much help I'll be
to mess around with , any 1 will work .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:09 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

No problem Steve, Thanks anyway. I don't have Bridgeport funds, besides I don't want a big one, just some thing that I make parts on instead of using a file and air grinder!

Brian
Old 03-09-2011, 11:28 PM

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

How long can you wait ? we should have talked more on this last sat. I'm just not sure yet on unloading mine till I know my cnc mill is running at full potential . If I could get the cincinnati I saw on mon. ( takes the same tool holders as my cnc mill ) I'd sell my lil 1 .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Brian, You should be able to get a Bridgeport for $1000-$1500 that may suit you. You may have to do a liitle work on some of the one there right now. Google: ''HGR"
Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Green Horn

Heavy Metal is on a distinguished road

Brian -
I know Steve (IHB) isn't real happy with his Taig - for what he does - but I've been working my little Taig pretty hard and it just keeps on cranking. Just throwing that out there in case you end up making a deal with Steve on his. Granted I'm only doing aluminum and doing pretty small parts. I got a real good deal on mine fully CNC'd w/ Microproto controller and including a HEAVY steel frame work bench and fully enclosed with a nice plexi cabinet and chip chute/tray. For milling my small aluminum parts I really haven't found anything yet where the rigidity of the mill or the motor power was my limit except or the stuff with bigger end mills that I don't do much. Steve mentioned fly cutting being a problem with his and I ended up needing to do some last weekend on a big chunk of aluminum plate. Whole operation went real smooth taking like .01 or .015 on each pass. Real nice finish...ran smooth as butter. Obviously a bigger mill could've hogged through a deeper cut...but, hey if you don't have the money then take extra time. I think having the Taig bolted down to the big steel frame bench is part of the success with mine.

Now...not saying I wouldn't like a bigger mill and I might start looking soon but the Taig has worked out well so far. ****...I've worn a drive belt out making parts with this thing already.

One other note...I also had a MaxNC closed loop servo CNC mill and IMO it was too lightweight for any kind of metal work. Don't want to knock the company or anyone that uses them but I sold mine and kept the Taig.

Guess that's my two cents. Keep in mind I'm relatively new to machining in general.

Joe
Old 03-11-2011, 10:32 AM

Joe , for what I'm getting into , the tiag is to small . It is a good lil machine but has its limits . I'm glad I got it when I did , it beats the dremel . But as always with me , I out grow what I think will work at the time I buy it . It'll be a lil while till I let it go . It's nice to have a manuel mill in the shop for 1 of's . In my thinking it still needs to be replaced before it goes by a cinci or BP . but we'll see how the cnc mill works . My wife got tired of hearing me cussing last night and ordered my vise and converter . HMMM I'll have to cuss some more maybe a cnc lathe next

Old 03-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: If you had 1000 dollars what mini mill would you buy?

Well, lots of people make some really cool thing with mini mills. Myself, I don't think I could handle one of them, have a 7x10 mini lathe that I absolutely hate, but my dad thinks its great for little stuff like turning necks on bullet cases.

With your budget, I would look for a slightly bigger benchtop mill like the Rong-Fu type size. They also make good candidates for future cnc conversion. But if you think a mini mill will work for what you want to do then go for it.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:23 PM

derailed is on a distinguished road

i bought a microlux mill and lathe from micro-mark
i dont regret it
it all depends on what you want to do with it
first thing i did was swap the chuck to a collet
not a large work area compared to large mills but i have made 4 foot long frame rails with it
your limited to your imagination and materials you can scavenge up
lol
Old 03-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Thanks for all the help guys!