RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Metal forming & tools

Metal forming & tools If it bends,twists,welds,cuts & turns metal.Post it here

Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Green Horn

Heavy Metal is on a distinguished road
Default Spring Cleaning

Okay...beautiful weekend here in Delaware so threw the garage doors open and did some spring cleaning. It's usually like a tornado went through here so now or never for the nickel tour. My "shop" is basically one side of the family two car garage. Gonna have to move this operation to the basement someday...or finally build me a shop out back. Ahh...if only...

So here's one side.... Cabinets from kitchen remodel couple years back. I keep a little air nailer compressor in the backyard in one of those rubbermaid deck boxes to run the air and mist coolant for the mill. Big compressor just too loud to be running in the shop all the time. The pegboard came with the house 10 years ago so decided to finally use it for the common hand tools. I like it already. We'll see how long THAT lasts...

And other side...fabricated clamps to put belt/disc sander and some flat space on my Miter Saw stand. Cheapo Delta table saw doesn't get much action so slapped a chunk of countertop on it to make more workspace and a place to put the pan brake. The Harbor Freight horiz/vert bandsaw is kind of rickety...but has a strong 1HP motor and with some tinkering and a high quality blade she has become quite a workhorse.

Tool box always been over here on other side of the garage...need to move it closer to the action. Poor neglected backhoe experiment up top....tow truck I bought from Vince. Some day the wife is gonna make me fix the drywall mess I made during the kitchen remodel.

If I don't have the right tool on a stand...I probably have something in one of these cases that'll do the job...

The little Taig CNC in its big enclosure...replaced the factory Microproto controller software w/ Mach3. Been getting a lot of work and its starting to show on some of the parts...need to spend a couple hours tramming and tightening up the ways and lead screws. I've been running mist coolant lately...works real good to keep aluminum chips flying instead of gumming up. It all drains down to the chip tray and I just pour it back in the bottle through a screen every now and then or mix up a new batch.

Harbor Freight 7x10... The battery charger doubles as the bench power supply for my backhoe experiment. LOL. I'm not kidding actually.

Lincoln Pro 155....

Fas-kit bins and starter set one of my better investments over the years. Having the right fasteners when you need it makes all the different. There are full kits of RTL standard and metric miniature fasteners hiding behind these as well. Money well spent in my opinion.

More fasteners and some of the drawers with machine tooling, etc.

few more drawers and bins with this and that but that's pretty much it. Probably ought to build something now! Thanks for lookin!

Joe
Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Spring Cleaning

you got a nice shop there Joe!

Brian
Old 03-23-2011, 12:22 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Fantastic work area Joe.

So where do ya park the car?

I didn't see a heater anywhere, is the garage plumbed from the house furnance?

Joe
Old 03-23-2011, 05:32 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
...So where do ya park the car?

I didn't see a heater anywhere, is the garage plumbed from the house furnance?
Garage is for cars? Ha ha. Plenty of room for my wife's car on "her" side...she doesn't really like pulling in and out so only parks in there when its raining or snowing...suits me just fine!

I meant to take a pic of the "heater"...it's a propane space heater like you see used on construction jobs. Takes the edge off real quick. Then I run the little propane space heat lamps near my work area...you can see those hanging on the wall over the computer. Put it this way...working in the shop this winter required long underwear and a winter coat! If I keep spending this much time I will have to put a window unit in for AC in the summer. Again...need to seriously thing about relocating to basement...but I think my wife likes the noise out there....not under her feet.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

WOW!! A clean shop!! Mine never gets that clean You might want to reconsider moving to basement. Basements are OK for the tabletop equip. but what happens when you want to upgrade to a floor model? Unless it is a walk in basement you will be sorry. Actually building a small stand alone shop might be better in the long run. All of my equip. is table top size. Even my ancient 9"X48" South Bend lathe is considered a bench model. Had to take it completely apart to get it to the basement- headstock, tailstock, and the saddle came off the bed to move. Even had to move to bench by itself. I have no idea how much the lathe bed weighs but it took 2 of us to move and we only had to take it down 1 flight of straight stairs.
Like the encloser for the Taig mill. Any problems with the mister and keyboard being inside the encloser? I think I would have the keyboard outside next to the computer.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1cat View Post
...Any problems with the mister and keyboard being inside the encloser? I think I would have the keyboard outside next to the computer.
Good catch Lynn. I was wondering if anyone would ask about that! Had just run the keyboard and mouse cables to the inside of the enclosure during my cleanup this weekend and figured I'd get a keyboard w/ rubber cover before too long. Well wouldn't you know it I broke an endmill when the jog button got stuck Sunday!!! I'm sure it was aluminum chips or gummed up coolant. Joe
Old 03-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Green Horn

rcman is on a distinguished road

wow great work area! I have been kicked out of my own house by the new wifey hehehe! to many kids now! so I have been exiled to my shed in the back yard