RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 11-27-2022, 12:48 AM

Orange RC Works is on a distinguished road
Default 1/10 Oshkosh M1070 A0 (3D Printed/Scratchbuilt)

My 3D printed 1:10 8x8 M1070 A0 build

Last edited by Orange RC Works; 12-22-2022 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:49 AM

Default Re: 1/10 Oshkosh M1070 A0 (3D Printed/Scratchbuilt)

and the civilian type trailer build...6x2

Last edited by Orange RC Works; 12-22-2022 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:09 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

Dam..... that is crazy.... you have the patience of Jobe... that is a lot of detail...
Old 11-28-2022, 05:26 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Good to see you back with some updates on that project.

That truck looks amazing! That's gotta be a beast in 1/10. Plus the trailer looks like it'll be killer too

Used to drive those or just a fan?
Old 11-28-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Good to see you back with some updates on that project.

That truck looks amazing! That's gotta be a beast in 1/10. Plus the trailer looks like it'll be killer too

Used to drive those or just a fan?
Thank you...just an avid fan. Used to work in construction and would hitch a ride on one of the Peterbilts that moves the diggers around. From that time on, i was a fan and since i cant own the real ones, I said id build one in scale... thanks to 3d printers and my modest cad skills...lol...anyway, will be updating the post soon when i get to finish printing the tires...cheers.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry56 View Post
Dam..... that is crazy.... you have the patience of Jobe... that is a lot of detail...
Thank you Jerry56.... good thing we have the internet and be able to download pictures for reference... i guess i just love creating things and just making them as best as I can... thanks to 3d printers, its possible now.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:39 AM

Update on the trailer build.... the tires are still printing, 3 hrs to print half of the tire, total of 24 halves... 72 hrs total print time just for the tires. lol... TPU is a pain to print...

Last edited by Orange RC Works; 12-22-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:14 PM
Green Horn

ddmckee54 is on a distinguished road

I've got a couple of questions for you. You're using about a Gazillion fasteners on your stuff and a lot of them appear to be going into plastic parts. What are you using for fasteners and where do you get them? Are those sheet metal screws, or machine screws and nuts? What size are they?

I know you're working in 1/10 scale, and I'm working in 1/16 so it's kind of like comparing Apples and Oranges... I've got a butt-load of M3 stuff from working on my 3D printers, but it looks kinda big in 1/16 scale. And M2 seems soooo tiny, let alone anything smaller.

Don
Old 12-06-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmckee54 View Post
I've got a couple of questions for you. You're using about a Gazillion fasteners on your stuff and a lot of them appear to be going into plastic parts. What are you using for fasteners and where do you get them? Are those sheet metal screws, or machine screws and nuts? What size are they?

I know you're working in 1/10 scale, and I'm working in 1/16 so it's kind of like comparing Apples and Oranges... I've got a butt-load of M3 stuff from working on my 3D printers, but it looks kinda big in 1/16 scale. And M2 seems soooo tiny, let alone anything smaller.

Don
Yeah, for my projects which i decided to be all just 1/10, its M3 for most of it, because im familiar already with the tolerances and allowances for the holes and the hex hole for the nut and if i assume that something does not really need to be taken off everytime, i just screw it in the plastic but for the most part, i use a nut embedded on the plastic with a hex hole so i dont have to hold it with a pliers when getting tightened... for smaller parts, i use M2.5 sometime with nut and sometimes just screwed in the plastic...and a few places i use M2 usually screwed in to the plastic. i set the big hole at 1.1mm and the small hole at 0.9mm...for m2.5, 1.35 for the big hole and 1.15 for the small hole... for M3, 1.65 for the big hole, and 1.35 for the small if i want it screwed in to the plastic... for a 1/16 build, i would say M2.5 for most fastened parts... not too big and not too small... for some smaller parts, you can use M2.... i just buy them off amazon in the hundreds from a seller named uxcell at around 7-9 bucks for most sizes of 100 pieces packs.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:25 AM

and the tires are done....

next will be the deck and ramp...

Last edited by Orange RC Works; 12-22-2022 at 02:36 AM.
Old 12-17-2022, 04:57 AM

dremu is on a distinguished road

Oh. My. Gog. That is some serious work.

That truck vaguely reminds me of something ... hmm, what could it be? =))

https://rctruckandconstruction.com/s...ad.php?t=13841

But nowhere near the level of detail you're doing. With the interior, I don't know how you have room to squeeze in a power train, even @ 1:10.

I feel your pain on flexible filament, and IMO you're crazy (in a good way!) to 3D print so much. Especially tires, when they're available off-the-shelf.

Wrt fasteners, I've been using the brass threaded inserts. You print a hole just slightly smaller than the OD of the insert, as determined empirically for your printer and material and brand and color and phase of the moon(*), and then either draw the insert in mechanically, or heat it and insert it with a soldering iron.

(*) Buddy of mine describes 3D printing as "an iterative process." Possibly the best way I've ever heard to say "Trial and error. So much error." =))

But again, OP, hats off to you. I spent a bazillion hours on mine so I can't imagine what yours will entail, but it's a beautiful thing.

-- A
Old 12-18-2022, 12:27 AM

This is whats going to be on that trailer... But most probably ill be starting a new thread on another section... anyway, I was drooling at the M1000 trailer and really keen on starting the build on it, but while I was gathering info, i just cant handle the number of wheels that its going to need, I thought, that would be too much work just to have a trailer, adding to that is the complexity of the axles that are supposed to turn as well, I would need a 12 channel transmitter for all those wheels to work like the real ones...so i decided to build a conventional flat bed with the goal of loading it with either a Cat 950 loader or a D8 Dozer... and I am now starting the CAD work on it... I made trial prints of the track chains and it works, I also decided to use ABS for those heavy wear parts... im leaning on parallel gearmotor drives for the tracks but im still clueless as to how i should program the transmitter... but anyway, ill figure it out...im excited for this new build, wish me luck guys...cheers.

Old 12-18-2022, 12:50 AM

finished the deck and ramp... i just need to install the alum. cleats that bolts on the side....and then this trailer build is done...

Last edited by Orange RC Works; 12-22-2022 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:25 PM

Build update for today.... test fitted the trailer...

Old 12-22-2022, 11:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Great looking Dozer cad. Programming the radio for something dual drive / skid steering like that isn't too bad if your radio has got 2 channel Mixes to work with.

You're really knocking it outta the park with this truck!!! A beautiful truck is quickly turning into an awesome outfit.
Old 12-24-2022, 02:13 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road

Yep, as Frizzen pointed out, tracked vehicles are manageable if you mix the channels -- my FlySky FSi6 did it easy enough.

As for the M1000, you either do a mechanical scaling so the front axles steer @ 100%, the next set at 90%, the next at 80% (or whatever), adjusting a bazillion tierods ... or you do it electronically. I think servo scalers used to be a thing, but being a nerd I did it with an Arduino and a giant servo controller.

The nice thing is there it's all done in software, so I can change steering ratio from axle-to-axle without having to change the tierods or anything. Actually set it up so that one switch changes from scaled steering to all-at-100%, lets it crab sideways when unloaded.

One final observation is that when selecting a gear motor, work out the ratio you think you'll need, then go lower. Like the 1:1's, these things always end up heavier than you think and needing more torque than you think. I'm tearing down my Abrams for that very reason, ugh.

Anyway, random thoughts aside, once again, hats off to you. I'm jealous, especially of the interior, but just don't think I have it in me to spend that kind of time to get that level of detail and that kind of craftsmanship. Bloody amazing.

-- A
Old 12-25-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremu View Post
Yep, as Frizzen pointed out, tracked vehicles are manageable if you mix the channels -- my FlySky FSi6 did it easy enough.

As for the M1000, you either do a mechanical scaling so the front axles steer @ 100%, the next set at 90%, the next at 80% (or whatever), adjusting a bazillion tierods ... or you do it electronically. I think servo scalers used to be a thing, but being a nerd I did it with an Arduino and a giant servo controller.

The nice thing is there it's all done in software, so I can change steering ratio from axle-to-axle without having to change the tierods or anything. Actually set it up so that one switch changes from scaled steering to all-at-100%, lets it crab sideways when unloaded.

One final observation is that when selecting a gear motor, work out the ratio you think you'll need, then go lower. Like the 1:1's, these things always end up heavier than you think and needing more torque than you think. I'm tearing down my Abrams for that very reason, ugh.

Anyway, random thoughts aside, once again, hats off to you. I'm jealous, especially of the interior, but just don't think I have it in me to spend that kind of time to get that level of detail and that kind of craftsmanship. Bloody amazing.

-- A
thank you sir, i do have a 7-channel spektrum air radio and a radiolink 6-channel ground radio with trigger throttle so i might try them both... I may have to ask you guys to help me out a bit.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:56 PM

Tractor is almost done... just missing the doors.... and then the task of putting in the lighting, smoke and sound system begins.

Last edited by Orange RC Works; 01-05-2023 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 11:16 AM

Doors are installed...

Old 01-09-2023, 04:11 PM

Krewmember is on a distinguished road

Really fine work! I like all the small details. Are the drive axles 3d printed also?

-Shawn-