RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Wannabe

JDH429 is on a distinguished road
Default Article Online Featuring My D10 Dozer Build

Got a few emails from some 3D Printing news sites regarding the Youtube video I posted of my D10 project. Here is the article from one site..(I threw a quick plug for the forum in there).

http://3dprint.com/64122/3d-printed-caterpillar-dozer/

The other site, 3ders.org, Just contacted me today wanting to do a similar article.

Caterpillar also contacted the writer of the linked article wanting to get in touch with me to get more info on the model and I was told, after I replied, the "CEO" wants to send me some gear. Should I tell them I already have a CAT coffee mug? Hey Mario!
Old 05-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Article Online Featuring My D10 Dozer Build

Congrats Jason might just help the hobby since it got Cats attention!
Old 05-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

From what I've heard CAT isn't usually too keen on this type of stuff unless they're getting royalties so this is great. Hopefully they aren't sending the MOB to take away your toy. I can't see why any manufacturer wouldn't be stoked really. I'm sure CAT is very flattered so long as you aren't selling the models.lol

Great job on the article. I really like to see my fellow modelers get some recognition! You did a fantastic job on it and you deserve the attention!

Oh, and after reading the article I now know what the 3D printed tire piece on your bench is for.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:50 AM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Congrats Jason might just help the hobby since it got Cats attention!
Thanks for following along on the build, and the support. Who knows, I hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
From what I've heard CAT isn't usually too keen on this type of stuff unless they're getting royalties so this is great. Hopefully they aren't sending the MOB to take away your toy. I can't see why any manufacturer wouldn't be stoked really. I'm sure CAT is very flattered so long as you aren't selling the models.lol

Great job on the article. I really like to see my fellow modelers get some recognition! You did a fantastic job on it and you deserve the attention!

Oh, and after reading the article I now know what the 3D printed tire piece on your bench is for.
Thanks Reg, from the responses i got from the Cat rep it didnt sound threatening in anyway, haha. They were more complimentary and said the dozer arcticle was being passed around though the office emails. I did mention to them about the growth and interest in the hobby, and we would love to see something produced in the future that would relate to this hobby.
But it didnt sound like its anything they had ever considered. I did share some info on my Vario Ex as well to give a better idea of the more complex and expensive models out there. Of course the rep was impressed. The full hydraulic machines are no doubt the crown jewels.

The piece on the bench..Yes you have a good eye! Been working on a few designs. Still doing some research on that.

Thanks again for the support.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Congrats Jason! ....and just incase....you don't know me

CAT don't care or want your dozer bud . They are interested in YOU ! I will be honoured to say , I know a guy who designs for CAT someday.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:00 AM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
Congrats Jason! ....and just incase....you don't know me

CAT don't care or want your dozer bud . They are interested in YOU ! I will be honoured to say , I know a guy who designs for CAT someday.
mums the word. Ha, that rhymes. I doubt that would happen, but thanks for the encouragment.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:56 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Congratulations Jason! Another job well done!

Joe
Old 05-18-2015, 07:21 AM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Congratulations Jason! Another job well done!
Thanks Joe
Old 05-18-2015, 10:01 AM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

Congrats Jason!....fine build and fine article. Keep up the good work....when that kits comes out....just yanking your chain

Rob
Old 05-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_farmer View Post
Congrats Jason!....fine build and fine article. Keep up the good work....when that kits comes out....just yanking your chain
You got it! Thanks!
Old 05-19-2015, 04:59 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Hope that it's realy that way with CAT. My opinon is the opposite. The local organization is normaly encouring but when contacting central office in europe, the woman in charge of marketing told me that under no circumstanse I could put a CAT label on my one off model. Hard to belive that they would go to court about this, a multibillion company agains a civilian, must have more important issues.
I have made my own decals with a font comercial available, as close as possible but NOT cat's version.
If you start producing your fine model it may be a complete different issue, so don't send another model to ceo, he might prosecute you
Old 05-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Hope that it's realy that way with CAT. My opinon is the opposite. The local organization is normaly encouring but when contacting central office in europe, the woman in charge of marketing told me that under no circumstanse I could put a CAT label on my one off model. Hard to belive that they would go to court about this, a multibillion company agains a civilian, must have more important issues.
I have made my own decals with a font comercial available, as close as possible but NOT cat's version.
If you start producing your fine model it may be a complete different issue, so don't send another model to ceo, he might prosecute you
Yeah, honestly I didnt really intend to produce a model to sell. That would without a doubt infrige on Cats design. I mean anyone selling a dozer with an elevated planetary is copying Cats design and without permision you could be subject to legal ramification. You could argue that its not a cat until you slap the decal on it, but in my eyes, the design of a particular model is THEIR design. It seems wrong to steal it and make money doing so.

I did receive a personal letter from Doug Oberhelman, CEO of Cat, and he was very complimentary in his letter to me regarding the model, and did not elude to any problem with copyright issues. He talked about his love for the outdoors, and his hunting property in IL. I mentioned to The Cat Rep that i owned a few 1:1 Cat machines which we use on our recreational land, and Doug mentioned that in his letter, and what machines he enjoys using on his land. I received a few Cat/ MossyOak Caps, and a signed copy of his book "Quail Lakes & Coal: Energy for Wildlife ... And The World". I thought this was pretty cool, as of course im a big fan of Caterpillar machines. I didnt expect to receive any recognition for the model, I was just experimenting with my abilites, so to get such a nice response from Cat and especially the CEO is a pretty cool thing. Ill take it..

Last edited by JDH429; 05-19-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

That's great to hear Jason. I thought maybe he would say " we're looking for people like you to work in our 3D printing R&D department "
But just the fact you got someone's attention that high up the food chain is very cool!

And BTW, the patent on Cat high drive undercarriage system expired awhile back and they never renewed so anybody can make them now.
I've been told new dozer are back to low drive and electric driven motors. No more torque converter , tranny just electric motor to a final drive!
That's all for smaller dozers like D6, 7. I'm sure the big d10 and 11 will remain high drives.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:53 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
That's great to hear Jason. I thought maybe he would say " we're looking for people like you to work in our 3D printing R&D department "
But just the fact you got someone's attention that high up the food chain is very cool!

And BTW, the patent on Cat high drive undercarriage system expired awhile back and they never renewed so anybody can make them now.
I've been told new dozer are back to low drive and electric driven motors. No more torque converter , tranny just electric motor to a final drive!
That's all for smaller dozers like D6, 7. I'm sure the big d10 and 11 will remain high drives.
That's interesting Mario, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I'll bet that new configuration is an improvement. Is that in production now? I understand electric drive can produce some great power. I guess that's why locomotives run that way. Anyways thanks for sharing the knowledge.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Memory ain't what it used to be. The electric dozer was announced around 2009. And it's only a D7E version.

http://gas2.org/2009/09/18/caterpill...rid-bulldozer/

There's a new D6T in our shop right now and unlike the old days, it's not a high drive and is low sprocket with hydraulic motors / final drive. Again, eliminating the torq and tranny.
Machines are changing so much it's hard to keep up!

Sorry, don't mean to high jack your awsome news thread but here's one more new innovation that will blow your mind!

http://youtu.be/N4HlGBfQgL0

Last edited by Supermario; 05-19-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:33 AM
Green Horn

Trucker_Jo is on a distinguished road

Very cool that you have earned the recognition from such a big company, great job!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:03 AM
Wannabe

Azonic will become famous soon enough

Congrats!!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:15 AM

MechaMoo is on a distinguished road

I can't even describe in words how impressed I am with this. That's really great the CEO liked your design.

Henry Ford
Old 06-10-2015, 11:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

You made it in Equipment World Magazine today!
http://www.equipmentworld.com/3d-pri...lar-d10-dozer/
Cheers, Neil.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:09 PM

JCLARE248 is on a distinguished road

Excellent article