RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:31 AM
Apprentice

DADSGARAGE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 777 HAUL TRUCK (1/12 size)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Man that looks nice! Cheater...
Cheater...??? ( well maybe.....being able to use the "magic printer" does help!!)
You ever need something let me know....

KP
Old 12-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Wow, you've made some great progress on the 777. I like the detail you've been putting into the truck. The handrails and ladders look really good. The 5 gallon bucket really helps put things into perspective, on it's shear size. No doubt it will be a very well built, and heavy model. Nice work!
Old 12-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Wow, you've made some great progress on the 777. I like the detail you've been putting into the truck. The handrails and ladders look really good. The 5 gallon bucket really helps put things into perspective, on it's shear size. No doubt it will be a very well built, and heavy model. Nice work!
Thanks!!! Adding the details seems to be the biggest challenge but the finished result is always rewarding. Hopefully it is well built...LOL...one thing is for sure...it is heavy!!!
Old 12-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Apprentice

Got a few more "details" done today..... the side hand railing....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Slowly trying to get this thing to look a bit more like the real thing...
Old 12-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

That's nice! Details always sell the appearance of a model. Are you planning on welding all the super structure components together? I can see some tack welds here and there, and some screws in other places. I would think a lot of the tack welds are probably strong enough for the components that won't be stressed, like the cab, fenders, ect. A little body filler to smooth the joints over, and it would be ready for paint. I wish I was a little better at tig welding. I do all right with SMAC welding. Not to much experience with tig.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Apprentice

First attempt at the small deck/walkway beside the cab and the hand railing. Something about this just isn't right....think the walk way is too wide, trying to build this all without a scale model to use as a reference or blue prints is tricky, looking at 1:1 picture can only help so much, and many picture are not at the proper angle to get a good reference from...fun fun....very frustating at times!!! More time is spent looking at what has been added and trying to figure out why it doesn't seem to look right....or maybe it's a combination of a number of things that aren't right which make finding the problem a total DRAG !!! I must say...my hat's off to the scale builders!!!! Hope you don't mind my simple not so scale like build....learning all the time!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
That's nice! Details always sell the appearance of a model. Are you planning on welding all the super structure components together? I can see some tack welds here and there, and some screws in other places. I would think a lot of the tack welds are probably strong enough for the components that won't be stressed, like the cab, fenders, ect. A little body filler to smooth the joints over, and it would be ready for paint. I wish I was a little better at tig welding. I do all right with SMAC welding. Not to much experience with tig.
Details details....yup it does help sell the appearance...just wish it wasn't so #%$@*^& frustrating....LOL...

All the parts you see that have been bent are done by leaving a small amount of material in place, just enough to hold it together and make it easy to bend by hand, all these areas will end up getting a full weld.
They will be mig welded (.023" solid wire) "down hand" to help reduce the amount of heat and avoid to much warping...Tig would be much better...my Tig welding skills are low...scratch that...more like zero !!! Just one more thing to learn when I grow up!!!
Old 12-28-2013, 11:34 PM

Ken Orme is on a distinguished road

A BIG WOW===it is looking good.

I see a valve stem. Are the rims 4 in dia with tube type tires?

Ken
Old 12-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Are you kidding me? That walkway and railing along side the cab looks awesome! I'd say it's quite scale looking, but then I do not have a 1:1 photo to compare it to. One benefit to using steel for all this is that it's more durable. Clamping up aluminum parts with vise grips would definitely mar the finish of the surface. Plus like you said, it's easier to weld.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Orme View Post
A BIG WOW===it is looking good.

I see a valve stem. Are the rims 4 in dia with tube type tires?

Ken

Thanks!!!

Yup , I see it too.......I have this rim on the wrong way OOPS...LOL...valve stem should be on the inside, and yes the rims are 4" with tubes....

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/S...mbly/8442410.p
Old 12-29-2013, 12:14 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Are you kidding me? That walkway and railing along side the cab looks awesome! I'd say it's quite scale looking, but then I do not have a 1:1 photo to compare it to. One benefit to using steel for all this is that it's more durable. Clamping up aluminum parts with vise grips would definitely mar the finish of the surface. Plus like you said, it's easier to weld.
Maybe it's just me but something just doesn't seem right....half the problem is knowing what it looks like when seen from above and or from different angles...most times all the pics I can find of this thing are looking up at the truck and not a birds eye view, maybe the real deal looks "goofy" too from some angles...LOL...not sure ??!!
Using steel does have it's advantages...but you pay a price for the added weight!!! A truck like this is meant to carry a big load..not be a big load..LOL
Old 12-29-2013, 12:16 AM

porky69 is on a distinguished road

I drive real 777D's at work and the walkway looks right on. On the real thing the walkway looks large until you try and squeeze my butt on it then it gets pretty crowded.

Awesome build by the way.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky69 View Post
I drive real 777D's at work and the walkway looks right on. On the real thing the walkway looks large until you try and squeeze my butt on it then it gets pretty crowded.

Awesome build by the way.
Awesome!!!! Someone who actually knows what this rig should actually look like...how wide is that walkway??? I have this at a scale of about 18" wide...somehow I think the short front section is narrower than the side section is....if you could take a measurement for me that would be GREAT !!!!

Glad you like my attemt at building this truck....any pics and or suggestions on this build will be helpful and very much appreciated!!!!

KP
Old 12-29-2013, 12:48 AM
Apprentice

One more small detail that got done today...the mud flaps...thankfully they look about right!!??

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-29-2013, 01:02 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

You're a building machine my friend! Kind of reminds me of someone else I know...You don't sleep much either do you?

Your truck is looking awesome! I'd love to perch my Volvo onto a pile next to it and load it up!

Oh, be careful offering to cut out some pieces for me...I may just take you up on it!lol
Old 12-29-2013, 01:37 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
You're a building machine my friend! Kind of reminds me of someone else I know...You don't sleep much either do you?

Your truck is looking awesome! I'd love to perch my Volvo onto a pile next to it and load it up!

Oh, be careful offering to cut out some pieces for me...I may just take you up on it!lol
Sleep??? What's that??? Oh I know....something you do at night when it's dark....LOL....most of the time I think I work in my sleep and sleep while I work...HEEHEE...that almost makes sence!!??

The offer to cut you some parts still stands...however...just after I hit the "submit reply" button I thought about what I may have got myself into and the possible long list of "goodies" you would most likely ask for.....I'm actually kinda surprised you didn't???...yet...LOL...thought for sure I set myself up on that one!!!

(Really if you want/need something send me an e-mail with dimensions etc ,I would be more than willing to help with a future project.....providing it's not a full blown build!!!! ) )
Old 12-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Have you seen the trailer toting version? http://cmpeng.com.au/page/MAJOR_PROJ...ow_Loader.html
I'm guessing you have already seen this page? https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+...w=1024&bih=612
Keep it up!
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:30 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Have you seen the trailer toting version? http://cmpeng.com.au/page/MAJOR_PROJ...ow_Loader.html
I'm guessing you have already seen this page? https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+...w=1024&bih=612
Keep it up!
Cheer's, Neil.
Yes I have seen that....way cool....once I'm finished building this haul truck I have considered building another 777 truck c/w trailer for moving my D11,and the future PC1250 shovel....or at least a retro fit for this truck with that set up. It would be a great way to move this heavy stuff around!!! One thing at a time....so many things a guy wants to make!!! LOL!!!!

If I did build another 777 c/w trailer I would also consider this bottom dump trailer idea as well...just something different...but again one thing at a time, funny how working for a living always gets in the way of the fun stuff!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Hello you are doing a great job the walk ways and rails look awesome. You are moving right along there no mold growing on you. Keep up the good work. Ed
Old 12-29-2013, 04:58 PM

porky69 is on a distinguished road

We are not allowed to have camera at work (get caught with one and you are probably going to lose your job). I will see if I can get some dimensions when I go back to work (work 7 on/7 off) but 18inches sounds about right.

if you are around the Edmonton area you could see these guys http://www.heavymetalequipment.ca/Home.aspx they rent them. Or just get them to deliver one to you and take some measurements, its only $32,000 a month plus delivery.

Last edited by porky69; 12-29-2013 at 05:13 PM.