RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Metal forming & tools

Metal forming & tools If it bends,twists,welds,cuts & turns metal.Post it here

Old 05-13-2014, 06:01 AM

BiLLy bOb is on a distinguished road
Default tig welding

Ok, some of yall know i'm getting ready to move to Philippines from a few other forums we share. I believe I have sold my hobart 190 mig and generator so I have been on the prowel the last week for a replacement that is 220v/50hz, not 60hz like american stuff. I had been checking Filipino classified adds and researching some austrailian and italian welders. The other evening, I was looking through the local craigslist tools in search of a few odds and ends i'd like to have to throw in my crate to ship. For the life of me, I have no idea why, I opened a add for a Miller ac/dc inverter style, 165 dimension series tig welder for sale CHEEP. almost too good to be true cheep. So at 1am I send them a email after verifying that it is capable of operating on 220v/50hz. Finally about 4am saturday morning I turned the computer off and called it a nite. Saturday morning (daylight now), we swapped a few more emails and we were off to look at a almost NEW miller tig. Ended up getting it. I've never used a tig in my life before saturday. After a few minutes (literally 15 minutes of practice) i am already laying down a pretty decent aluminum bead with very nice penetration. That sealed the deal, bougth it. Stainless steel was a lot easier than the ally. I was hooked. Needless to say, I paid the gentlemen and headed over to my welding shop. I explained that I have never in my life used one before now, they knew that I'm moving overseas and getting consumables might well be sketchy, so we hashed it over and here is what i got to get me started as far as having some beginner supplies.

Came with Millers book, TIG WELDING FOR DUMMIES ((think they named it for me))
2%thor tungsten for torch
pure tungsten for torch
170s-2 rods 5lbs
14043 rods 5lbs
spare nozzle
set of *tig fingers* ((after my bud showed/explained them to me, i knew i would enjoy the benifits))

Anything other than the above come to mind to you tig guys that i should have 1 of *just in case*? Millers are available over there but, what, how much, or how long to order it are all unknowns.

I have been watching vids and reading in what free time i have at weldingtipsandtricks.com, does anybody have any tips or tricks that will give me a leg up once i get my stuff unpacked and set up in 6 weeks? websites to read up at?
already learned before i even bought it, you do not grind the tungston torch tip in circular motion, you grind from the end to end. does it make a difference if you start at tip or butt end? if so, can you explain why it is((just my curious nature)).... any inexpensive or free downloadable reading material to suggest? going to have a 30+ hour trip, plenty of time to read.

Thanks in advance.
Louie
Old 05-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tig welding

I started out with the exact same welder and it worked great! I moved up to a bigger welder since but kept the Diversion because it is fairly portable. Do you have the foot peddle with it? I never did but now that I have used one for a couple years it sure is nicer if you are welding something where you can stand or sit. I have to admit that i do miss the finger tip control when i am welding something on the floor. It is hard to run the peddle with your knee or elbow when you are in an awkward position. I think the foot control is pretty cheap for these welders so it may not be a bad accessory. What are you doing for gas? Is there a place near by where you are moving that can fill them? It sounds like you have a good start on what you need. My only other suggestion would be to buy more tungsten. I'm not sure if you have more than one size but it might be a good idea to get some smaller diameter ones and the collets needed to hold them in the torch. If you do this get a small cup too.

I am not a welder so my advice isn't from a pro but it may help keep you setup a little longer and be more versatile.

Good luck and enjoy the welder!

Reg
Old 05-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Go on YouTube and look up the miller and Lincoln pages, lots of videos
To help you learn! Have fun in P I, been to Subic Bay twice.
Cheers, Neil.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:02 PM

Backlash is on a distinguished road

Hi Louie,

Are you sure that its a Dimension, and not a Dynasty or Diversion?

I've worked in a welder repair shop for the last 10+ years, so my advice will be from a slightly different perspective..

I cant remember if the Miller inverters have the fan running all the time,. or if it is "fan on demand" (fan only comes on when it gets hot), but ALWAYS allow the machine time to cool down after using it, before switching / turning it off at the machine or power outlet.. Over the years I have seen so many inverter welders "die" prematurely because the owner turned them off hot, and they have literally cooked themselves to death from the residual heat build up inside..

Adhere to the duty cycle.. Constantly exceeding the duty cycle and running the machine until it hits the thermal cut-off will also shorten its life considerably..

If it has the small "twist lock" type Dinse connectors to connect the Tig torch and Earth Lead, then periodically check that they are tight..

As for consumables.. As Reg has already said, Tungsten's, Collets, Collet Bodies etc.. You can get a few different length "Back Caps" (the black plastic piece that covers the Tungsten on the back of the Tig torch).. Most Tig torches come with a full length back cap, but the shorter ones are good for tight spaces, but you will need to shorten the tungsten to use them..

Use a grinder to cut tungsten's down.. They can fracture/crack length ways if you cut them with wire cutters, and the do all sorts of weird stuff when crack.

A foot pedal is a good upgrade, especially when welding aluminium..

Goodluck.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:17 PM

first off, my memory is less usefull than a screen door on a submarine. backlash, your correct, it is a diversion. so much going on this past 3 weeks, im lucky to remember to put on my glasses in the morning, and theres been a few days i didn't even do that.

no worries backlash, i'm open to advice tips tricks from ALL points of view.

my unit does not have the foot pedal but for $550 and a pistol, i figure i can pop for a foot control. my cousin has a fancy hi dollar unit, i've run his foot pedal for him while he was inside the cage on his mud dragster welding chromoly. its DEFINATELY on the to get list. i know it will not arrive before i leave but it will be shipped to me in a few weeks.

on the tungston, i have 5 pieces of each plus whatever was in the torch when i bought it. best i can remember, i believe they are 3/32 diameter. could well be wrong though, my buddy at the weldin shop came out, took a look at it, and got me what i needed. its all wrapped up in my crate im dropping off in the morning at the cargo terminal in atlanta ga. if i have time, i'll look into a different sizes. is there a rule of thumb, larger tungsten, for heavier material?

i'm about a hour out of the 2nd largest city (500k population) on the island. I have seen 2 gas stores , with a TON of cylinders out front. I assume they will have straight argon for tig. don't have their number or i'd verify. got a buddy over there looking into it for pricing though.

yes, i understand about cool down. i always let the mig and the old Lincoln 225 stick unit cool down before turning them off. i'm old school too, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT adjust heat range while any of them are powered up. been told MANY times over the years by younger guys i know, some of whom have actually taken welding class and they were never taught that. beats me if it will hurt them or not now days, but as fat as i am, i need the exercise so ill continue that old habit. the miller is a *on demand fan*. so i will just keep up my habit of leaving them turned on after im done for a while.

duty cycle, i've been blessed or slacking, you decide which. i've never had one shut down because of thermal overload. i think i'm slacking to have never hit the limit, or maybe i'm doing all my welding properly. who knows?

mine does not have the dinse connectors. here is what mine looks like. i unscreded the outside, it appears to be a sandwich nut to hold the torch cable/hose/wires in the case. i assume it is all screwed/bolted solid inside.
http://image.customclassictrucks.com...ng_machine.jpg

thanks for the tip on using a grinder on the tungsten. i'll definitely keep it in mind.
Anybody else? Like to hear from any/everybody.
Thanks a million.
Louie

Last edited by BiLLy bOb; 05-13-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:27 AM

Backlash is on a distinguished road

Hi Louie,

I've not seen the Diversion in person, so I'm guessing that its relatively new.. The Millers are good Machines, and you should be happy with your purchase..

Do you understand how the duty cycle works, or what it is??

The Duty cycle is typically calculated over a 10 minute period.... With the Diversion 165, the duty cycle is 15% at 165 Amps.. What that means is when you are welding at maximum output of 165 Amps, you can weld for 1.5 minutes, (15% of 10 minutes) and then must allow the machine to rest (no welding) for 8.5 minutes in every 10 minute period..

There will also be a 100% duty cycle current listed as well, and for this machine that is 60 Amps.. Basically what that means that you can weld continuously at output currents of 60Amps and less..

Just be aware that the ambient temperature can also affect the duty cycle.. Outside on a nice hot sunny day, (say 95*F), you may have to reduce your duty cycle by 5-10%..

Tungsten's also come in different sizes, but most people would probably use a 2.4mm (or 3/32) tungsten on that size Tig.. You may want to try some smaller 1.6mm or 1/16' for lower current settings.. Just remember to get the smaller 1/16 collets and collet bodies to suit the 1/16 tungsten's as well.. You can also get different size Nozzles (the pink ceramic piece on the Tig torch) to go on the torch as well..

Cheers.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:18 PM

Yup, I sire do understand duty cycle. However, I hadn't given ambient temp a thought though, thanks for bringing that up.

Me welding shop should be open as I go back home today, gonna try to grab some 1/16th tungsten, collets etc for it.

I currently have 5 of each tungsten tips, 5 pure, 5are 2% in 3/32 size. In your opinion is this enough to get started or shoud I get some more in 3/32?

In getting the 1/16, ya rekin 5 of each (2% & pure) wil be enough? That will put me @ 20 tungsten torch tips.

I'm figuring on 1or2 more nozzles for it, Collet/bodies etc for 1/16
Thanks
Louie