RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Journeyman

Exclusive RC is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Pop's Pete

As some of you may know I started to build the replica of my fathers 2006 Long Nose Pete 379 with a UniBuilt sleeper. During this build I was also finishing up my Fontaine Flatbed and in doing so I got tired of spending so much money on stock suspension and trailer axles soooooo....... I decided to design my own.... I have successfully turned my prototype bearing-less axles into a working reality along with my custom Air-Ride to give it a more realistic look for my rigs and trailers. So heres what ive done so far on both ends...

prototype

I designed it so you could use all of the stock holes and just add a few, I also designed the air ride to be interchangeable with my axles and Tamiyas Axle along with the Truck axles.

My axles next to Tamiyas

My Air Ride also uses the spring and rod for flexibility

Then I also fell In Love with the Semi Lifts I saw at the Mack Museum this was fall so I decided to make my own version...

after lots of tail and error and a mix of styrene, aluminum, and brass, i came up with these bad boys capable of holding the weight...

here they are holding the Pete, custom frame drilled for my air ride cut to scale measurements of my fathers truck

axle moved forward, stock king hauler body before chopping and screwing

my air ride setup on the tamiya axles

This was before I had developed My own Bags and was using PMD's Air Bags

Thanks for Looking Guys you already know there is more to come... slowly but surely due to my accident the other day...

Old 01-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pop's Pete

Nice racks, I was looking at making a set like that for my garage as well.. But couldn't quite figure out the best way to make them functional.

Man that sucks about the finger, plenty of mine have been sliced and skinned when I'm not fully focused or paying attention while machining.....

--Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalelover View Post
Nice racks, I was looking at making a set like that for my garage as well.. But couldn't quite figure out the best way to make them functional.

Man that sucks about the finger, plenty of mine have been sliced and skinned when I'm not fully focused or paying attention while machining.....

--Dan
Thanks bud and yea it was another late night at 4.am this time I was paying attention but I was being lazy with stitching the blade on my band saw which was going dull and sure enough cutting some aluminum it broke and went right at my finger tip... so now I'm working limp lol
Old 01-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

good looking axles how much you makin them for or are you?
Old 01-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road

Ouch, yeah I've had some blades "explode" when cutting flat stock myself. It's never fun trying to pull pieces out of your own arm or shoulder...... I've been there plenty of times doing the 4am hustle, but I won't run the big boys w/o having others around, no matter how careful you are accidents can happen. Yet I still run my Bridgeport or Bertha which are less safe..... Doesn't make sense but hey......

--Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy8305 View Post
good looking axles how much you makin them for or are you?
I am selling them bud at $25 plus shipping comes with all hardware, just bolt it up and go..
Old 01-01-2014, 11:17 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalelover View Post
Ouch, yeah I've had some blades "explode" when cutting flat stock myself. It's never fun trying to pull pieces out of your own arm or shoulder...... I've been there plenty of times doing the 4am hustle, but I won't run the big boys w/o having others around, no matter how careful you are accidents can happen. Yet I still run my Bridgeport or Bertha which are less safe..... Doesn't make sense but hey......

--Dan
Yup you gotta do what you gotta do, when your in the zone time and surroundings fly by...
Old 01-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Journeyman

flatdeck is an unknown quantity at this point

The stands look great, do they come in any other colour than green?? That finger has got to hurt...

Wayne
Old 01-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Looking good! I like the stands
Old 01-02-2014, 11:13 AM

22fatcat is on a distinguished road

Hey that sucks about your finger, Do you have your own 3d printer? If so what kind do you have? The parts that you have made are very nice, I like that air ride suspension.

Paul
Old 01-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

OUCH!!!!

Really nice job on all the parts and pieces. I was just wondering how much flex is in the plastic air bag mounts?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Your stands are really cool. I never knew such things existed in the 1:1 world. That's a lot of weight to be supported by those stands though. I'd be nervous about working under a truck with those things holding it up! They look like pallet jacks on steroids! All that weight, so high up..... I don't know. Seems like it could be unstable.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22fatcat View Post
Hey that sucks about your finger, Do you have your own 3d printer? If so what kind do you have? The parts that you have made are very nice, I like that air ride suspension.

Paul
About 3/4 on an inch and I have a makerbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Your stands are really cool. I never knew such things existed in the 1:1 world. That's a lot of weight to be supported by those stands though. I'd be nervous about working under a truck with those things holding it up! They look like pallet jacks on steroids! All that weight, so high up..... I don't know. Seems like it could be unstable.

Yea these jack stands have existed for years.... And are rated for 20 thousand pounds a piece... Same concept as a 4 post lift... Only difference is they are independent but when plugged into each other they work in tandem, that's what all the new high class shops are using, makes for more space in your shop so you don't have to have a lift in a specific location, now you can be bring the lift to the truck as opposed to making way for the truck to go to the lift... Some neat stuff look it up, it's pretty awesome, they were developed for semi's and trailers but will pretty much work on anything a I with 4 or more wheels.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Nice axles ERC. Like you I'm trying to find an inexpensive axle/suspension set up since the project I'm working on will need 8 trailer axles.
Here's another option for lifts to model. We have 10 of these in our shop. Very stable units and make it real nice for doing trannies or clutches etc.
http://www.grayusa.com/wireless_lift.asp
Old 01-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Nice axles ERC. Like you I'm trying to find an inexpensive axle/suspension set up since the project I'm working on will need 8 trailer axles.
Here's another option for lifts to model. We have 10 of these in our shop. Very stable units and make it real nice for doing trannies or clutches etc.
http://www.grayusa.com/wireless_lift.asp
very cool bud thanks for the link, and pm me Ill take care of you on those axles and suspension if you need them..
Old 01-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Journeyman

A small update, even with a busted finger I managed to finish and primer tye sleeper cap I made.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Journeyman

Printed out one of my motors and did some mods to it to be able to used the stock trans and stock location for servos my gameplay is to be able to cram all the great things like a smoke machine and mfu while having a scale motor, and interior without doing a crazy sleeper or stretch....

Took the rc4wd sticker off the motor and painted it to blend into the trans and scale motor

Old 01-10-2014, 01:43 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

well I might just have to order one of those!! makes it much easier to do!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Green Horn

Dieselchopper is on a distinguished road

Are you going to offer your trailer axles and air ride on the market? I would be very interested in as many as 20 axles for sure. not sure yet about air ride.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselchopper View Post
Are you going to offer your trailer axles and air ride on the market? I would be very interested in as many as 20 axles for sure. not sure yet about air ride.
Yes I will bud, website will be open tonight at 7pm est