RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 05-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road
Default killing servos!!!

OK i have killed two servos. i don't think its the weight but the shock of the
front end hitting the pile of dirt. any ideas how to take some of the stress off
the steer servo on my loader?

Old 05-25-2015, 04:03 PM

rsd53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: killing servos!!!

Are you wiping out the gears, or something electrical?
Old 05-25-2015, 04:06 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsd53 View Post
Are you wiping out the gears, or something electrical?
gears more then anything
Old 05-26-2015, 06:49 AM

Ok, that helps. If your servos don't have metal gears, get some that do.

If your servos have metal gears, you I would look into getting, or building some type of dampener. In my mind, I'm thinking of something like a shock absorber with just a spring inside. Or you might try a regular shock absorber. Either way, you would use replace/modify the links between the servo to bell crank.

The other thought I had was to move the links on the servo bell crank closer to the servo output shaft. That way the torque seen by the servo would be reduced. The down side is you'll have a bigger turning radius.

Last edited by rsd53; 05-26-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:54 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsd53 View Post
Ok, that helps. If your servos don't have metal gears, get some that do.

If your servos have metal gears, you I would look into getting, or building some type of dampener. In my mind, I'm thinking of something like a shock absorber with just a spring inside. Or you might try a regular shock absorber. Either way, you would use replace/modify the links between the servo to bell crank.

The other thought I had was to move the links on the servo bell crank closer to the servo output shaft. That way the torque seen by the servo would be reduced. The down side is you'll have a bigger turning radius.
the servos, are either my tactic tsx57 or the hitec hs-65mg both nice metal gear servo's i like the damper idea i was think something like to. but putting the dampers down under the loader to kind of give it a more scale look. and make the push rods spring and slides like the old pan-cars
Old 05-27-2015, 05:46 AM

Sounds like you're on the right track. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road

Think you might be fighting yourself with a dampener, it may add more resistance thus causing the same problem. It is a good idea though, but I would probably try to make it all hydraulic.

Really like your loader build, good job!!

David
Old 05-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Green Horn

mavrick0 is on a distinguished road

What gears are you breaking? As much as a servo is called metal geared a lot of them still have a plastic gear on the motor and everything else is metal so there's still a major weak point. I would also be looking at a much higher torque servo. The servo's you've listed you've used and broken are in my opinion average torque. A good high torque in my opinion is 250 plus.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:14 PM

chris deacon is on a distinguished road

Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?? Why not just add a Servo Saver?
Something like this one would be ideal.
http://www.fingertechrobotics.com/pr...od=servo-saver
Old 05-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
Think you might be fighting yourself with a dampener, it may add more resistance thus causing the same problem. It is a good idea though, but I would probably try to make it all hydraulic.

Really like your loader build, good job!!

David
kind of slowly going that way but the room and cost. but it may cost less in the long run you know .

thanks i only got one more body part that styrene,the counter weight. just waiting on slow time at work to cut a new counter weight out of metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick0 View Post
What gears are you breaking? As much as a servo is called metal geared a lot of them still have a plastic gear on the motor and everything else is metal so there's still a major weak point. I would also be looking at a much higher torque servo. The servo's you've listed you've used and broken are in my opinion average torque. A good high torque in my opinion is 250 plus.
the tactic one is all metal, its the gear right after the the motor, it breaks of one two teeth and that the end of it, also the tactic it kind of in a holding patern because the replacement gear kits are all on back order everywhere!

the hitec one is a nicer weaker one but it dose the same thing but the gears after the motor is plastic, and the rest are metal??? go figure???

i would go bigger badder servo but room and power. my whole system is 7.4 and most really powerfull servos are 7.4 so not enough power in the loader for all the servo and a power monster like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris deacon View Post
Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?? Why not just add a Servo Saver?
Something like this one would be ideal.
http://www.fingertechrobotics.com/pr...od=servo-saver
that might be the way to go looking at the pat to bad the don't make it double ended.....(that sounded bad)
Old 05-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Maybe you need to improve your driving skills? Servos are not designed for demolition derby. But you probably need more servo. It's been a long time since I bought servos but back then even metal geared servos had-1-plastic gear. How about something like this-
https://www.servocity.com/html/spg40..._rotation.html
Old 05-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Maybe you need to improve your driving skills? Servos are not designed for demolition derby. But you probably need more servo. It's been a long time since I bought servos but back then even metal geared servos had-1-plastic gear. How about something like this-
https://www.servocity.com/html/spg40..._rotation.html
i tought about thoughs too! but size. that the killer in all of this.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road

Possible to mount 2 servoes in parallell..? But hydraulic steering is the ideal for a loader..)
Old 05-29-2015, 04:57 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Cosworth-you are not being realistic!! You don't want to spend a lot of $$ and you don't have a lot of room so what do you want--MAGIC--? I say live with what you have. DO NOT jam the bucket into the pile!! If you use caution when loading, your cheap, small servos should be okay. Changing gears occasionally is not that bad if you have no other option.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:47 PM
Journeyman

well i'm not really being cheap i was more farming ideas. i think i am going to go hydraulic. i do like the damper idea and the gear drive gear thing is kind of big i have used one on a camera turn table. but more i look at the loader more hydraulic is popping to the top of my head. sorry if i'm being annoying but i tend to debt ideas, just a habit from working in a artsy sign shop