RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Welcome New Members

Welcome New Members A place to introduce yourself to the membership.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:57 AM

MechaMoo is on a distinguished road
Default Noob Here

Hello, I just ran across this site a couple of days ago and joined after seeing some really cool stuff. I'm a mechanical designer of 20+ years currently working at a company that designs and manufactures mainly rock crushing equipment. We also build truck beds, belly-dump trailers, tipper trailers, hoppers, conveyors, etc. I would like to build models of some of the products.

As far as modeling: I've been making models off and on since I was a kid. I've done mostly things like movie monsters, ships, planes, and a few cars. My experience in building trucks is non-existent and I've never even owned an RC anything before. So, I'm hoping to get some good advice here.

I hate to start out by being "needy" but what I'm having a heck of a time finding tires and wheels for my models. So far everything I've found are either fancy-schmancy chrome slicks for custom cars or big knobby-jobbies for 4WD's. I need (normal) wheels and tires to match the products I'm making models of.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:42 PM

GjtBob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noob Here

Hi MechaMoo, I'm kinda new around here too, but I've just about finished my first build, a Tamiya Knight Hauler, I've got a few things to button up on her, but not much. I've found that Semijoe, on eBay has quite a few stock parts listed pretty regularly, and I've purchased several items from him, he's a great seller, and hasn't let me down yet. Also, Ric, from PMD/ Garden Trucking, has a ton of stuff you can use, he's also great to deal with. I've learned quite a bit, simply by browsing through the posts here, and doing searches with basic key words, to find what I need help with. Also, everyone I've posted to/with, has been awesome here, hope you have the same amount of great luck as I have.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site. Rock crushers.....yep these guys also build them in 1/16 scale. you will like it here!

What kind of wheels/ tires are you looking for? Spoke,Buds, Off road tread, on road tread. Tire and wheel size?
Old 05-26-2015, 12:24 AM

Joe25 is on a distinguished road

The vendors section has some very talented guys who can make just about anything you're looking for custom. Also in the general discussion section there is a stickynote convo about some of the better sites to buy wheels, tires and other accessories.

Can't wait to see your work
Old 05-30-2015, 07:38 AM

Thank you!

Here's some photos of the designs. I'm really looking for some normal plain-jane looking tires and wheels like shown in the graphics and photos.

I'd like to build scale models of these products as they're designed and built. You can see many of the tires and wheels you find for models that are for muscle cars/trucks wouldn't really work. (You might say I've already modeled them at 1:1 )

Henry Ford
Old 05-30-2015, 07:41 AM

Most of the tires on these are 22's. Given the real-world size, I'm guessing it probably makes sense to build the models at about 1/16 scale. (?)

Henry Ford
Old 05-30-2015, 09:02 AM

Wiskybilt is on a distinguished road

I'm new on here too, and just learning the rc hobby. It seems like a majority of the models at the event shows are 1:14. That's from limited experience and lots of reading. Cabin Fever expo in York PA had several models from East Coast Mini Truckers there.