RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
That's a lot of bolts! But at least they've got nuts on them and won't need tapping. Looking forward to seeing more!
There sure are a bunch. I was thinking there were more riveted joints on the exterior but now I can see. I will probably tap most of the holes and then put a nut on some. That would make the joint less likely to come loose. That's easier for me because those tiny nuts are a real pain to screw on a loose bolt. Nuts do show better detail than just a bolt head.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

I have a couple of questions for you steve-The towers on each side-will they have a bearing to actually support the walking shaft or will they be just cosmetic? About all those bolts-do you know how they drilled all those holes back in the 40"s? Did they have electric drills then? I remember using an electric drill in "1962" when working at a marine shop but I don't know when they first came out.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have a couple of questions for you steve-The towers on each side-will they have a bearing to actually support the walking shaft or will they be just cosmetic? About all those bolts-do you know how they drilled all those holes back in the 40"s? Did they have electric drills then? I remember using an electric drill in "1962" when working at a marine shop but I don't know when they first came out.
Not sure about portable drill time line but if everything was laid out in the shop correctly and punched then only minimal reaming would be needed.
Yes, the towers do support the bearings. Originally I was going to make the towers cosmetic when I started this years ago, I never envisioned being able to get next to the 1:1 machine and acquire all the drawings to boot so I'll be remachining the existing two bearings and inverting then like they're supposed to be but I want to tie it all together with some of the steel channel already in place so the tiny 0-80 bolts aren't stressed too much. 250# may stress them a bit.

Here are a couple screen shots of my full size elevations. I don't have the bearing completely detailed and no bolt or rivet holes drawn yet.

Last edited by 9W Monighan; 06-18-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Looks like you draw everything the way I do 3D is a pita

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Craftsman

Thanks steve-I was thinking that lining those bearings up with the walking shaft would be kinda tricky but I'm guessing you know how to do that. I wouldn't have a clue about that. Judging by your pictures it's gonna look great!!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Thanks steve-I was thinking that lining those bearings up with the walking shaft would be kinda tricky but I'm guessing you know how to do that. I wouldn't have a clue about that. Judging by your pictures it's gonna look great!!
The bearings are not that hard to align. One of the pillow blocks on the interior didn't work so well because the deck flooring has never been cut and installed in that area so I left the bronze insert out. Actually now that a few years have gone by and all the walking it's done, the bearings have wore in up some. The big problem there is I need the make the walking gear parking brake. If you notice in some of my pictures or videos I have a wooden wedge shoved into the big walking bull gear locking it in the "High Cam" position for digging. If I'm not paying attention it comes loose and the shoes fall down and next thing you know the trailing cable is getting rubbed or the whole tub is spinning instead of the house.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Craftsman

I saw that block of wood in your videos and knew it had to be doing something or it wouldn't be there. Jim Brennan told me about a circuit that will automatically stop the shoes at the correct position after walking. If this would help I'm sure if you gave him a call he would share this with you.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Since I have the day off I decided to update some of my older drawings pasting them on different layers .Here is some more details showing the steel I beams on the roof and the swing gearboxes in their place. Hope to get going on something soon.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:22 AM

ngward79 is on a distinguished road

Can't wait to see the house finished and see it walking. Awesome job, she is massive! I found your next project too!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:

Can't wait to see the house finished and see it walking. Awesome job, she is massive! I found your next project too!!!

HA HA too big for me. I want a large shovel next if possible.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:05 PM

Kingston_99 is on a distinguished road

next project mate Hitachi EX8000

http://www.nasta.no/no/produkter/gra...6.9UFRnWYi.ips
Old 02-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well it's time to dust this machine off again and get working on it. My project now is to redo the outer bearing blocks. Originally I made these upside down not thinking that one day I would get accurate sizes of the 1:1 machine.

Removed shoe assembly

Old blocks ready for the scrap bin.

Here is a start on the new blocks.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:19 PM

catmack is on a distinguished road

Steve,

What is it (the bearing) supposed to look like, do you have any photos? are the bearings impregnated, alum/bronze etc.? as far as the next project, a shovel would be a good choice. How big?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Nice to see you have started building again, Steve. This is and will be a outstanding model, working just like the real one!
At one moment I was afraid that you shouldn't finish the model since you have it operational, this could happen to me, that's why I try to get everything done before starting up my machine.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:00 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmack View Post
Steve,

What is it (the bearing) supposed to look like, do you have any photos? are the bearings impregnated, alum/bronze etc.? as far as the next project, a shovel would be a good choice. How big?
They are plain bronze bearings. Here is a photo of the 1:1 I am hogging mine
out in the center because I don't want to tap a 1-72 thread into a blind hole.

Here is the progress yesterday. I hope to finish the caps
tonight.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Great to see you back on the dragline Steve...I find im a little less anxious to finish when the machine is funtional..lol Go out and play ..ha ha ..I always learn more stuff about machining from you guys .Work holding ..Processes and how they are made in the different stages ..Learning from the masters ..thanks for posting all the great pictures
Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 PM

catmack is on a distinguished road

Looks great, is the steel hot rolled?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmack View Post
Looks great, is the steel hot rolled?
The caps are 1018 Cold Finished bar. The main body are cut offs from a thick plate of Hot Rolled 1018.

Finished the blocks other than the mounting holes.

#5-40 tap

Setup and staring the bore

Finished bore 1.1875''

Reusing the bronze bushing from the first blocks.

Ready for the brass sheets that will make up the support towers.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why you changed that from the original assembly you had, it appears you've now lost quite a bit of rigidity from a vital area that carries the entire weight of the model at distant end points during travel.

Joe
Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why you changed that from the original assembly you had, it appears you've now lost quite a bit of rigidity from a vital area that carries the entire weight of the model at distant end points during travel.
I'm surprised that my original has held up so well.
The bearing will be stronger once I build the rest of the tower. Like I said in a previous post; I made the bearing upside down and now I'm fixing it like it's supposed to be . Or close to.
Joe, Take a look at what still needs built to complete the entire bearing tower support.