RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 AM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Classy Shak

Well Mike it sounds like you have a plan, and the most important thing is your working again to bring money in to support your hobby

Brian
Old 11-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Wannabe

Snowman is on a distinguished road

Just you wait till you get the mfu and get that monster moving. I can't describe the joy and excitement that I experienced when my truck moved this week for the first time in a year and a half!

My Peterbilt build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Journeyman

rockNmayhem is on a distinguished road

Mike great to see you back and starting to see updates on this beast. Sounds great with the plan and cant wait for more pics.

Tyler
Old 11-11-2011, 01:40 PM

6wheelking is on a distinguished road

Truck looks Awsome,I really like the long RV trucks great work hope mine comes out that nice
Old 11-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in PA View Post
Well Mike it sounds like you have a plan, and the most important thing is your working again to bring money in to support your hobby

Brian
Thanks Brian, I'll get it going again but it's going to be slow, but at least it's slow cause of time and not cash this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Just you wait till you get the mfu and get that monster moving. I can't describe the joy and excitement that I experienced when my truck moved this week for the first time in a year and a half!
I can't wait till it's running, but there is still a LOT to do before that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNmayhem View Post
Mike great to see you back and starting to see updates on this beast. Sounds great with the plan and cant wait for more pics.

Tyler
Thanks Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6wheelking View Post
hope mine comes out that nice
It will, just have to go slow and get it right don't settle for almost right. Ya see as everyone else here knows I am what you might call "Anal". To this point I have almost 400 hrs into this truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 11-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Apprentice

SWAGGER is on a distinguished road

You sir - are a genious This thing is ridonculous! Well done and keep up the great work. This has got to me the most detailed build ever.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDCRAFT TRANSPORT View Post
I think I have said this before, the trouble with this sight is you see all these wonderful models being made, BUT it would be great to see these same models in person, & to talk to the builders about HOW DID YOU-----.
It would be so nice to be able to discuss techniques & see how they were made; photos just don’t do them justice.
I love what you are doing with your builds, keep thinking outside that box.
Tim
I have and always will tell and/or show anyone how I did something.. No secrets here.

Well except for my shocks.. those I'll keep secret.

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 11-13-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm tryin Boss!

Stylin n profilin has a spectacular aura aboutStylin n profilin has a spectacular aura aboutStylin n profilin has a spectacular aura about

Just awesome Mike...I just went through this build again and forgot how crazy detailed this thing is..I can't wait to see this done...I still say a full sleeper interior would be sweet..I know it has to hold everything...but like a real house..shove it under the kitchen sink..

One Bus Stop Short Of The Short Bus...
Old 11-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Ya never know John, have to wait and see when I get all the stuff that has to go in there.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:41 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Ok Guys and Gals I need some help.

As I have stated before I have no idea about the R/C part of these things.

Rick (Rogue) had mentioned to me that he used a 25:1 gearbox as the transmission for the Yellow Zonker that he sold to Paul. He was telling me that this would be a good gearbox to use for my truck giving me the slower more "Scale" speed that I want. I do not want to use the stock 3 speed because I don't want this thing going that fast..

Also keep in mind that I have no idea about the motors either, it's all greek to me.

I will be using the Tamiya MFU in the truck.

So here is my question to all of you.

What motor should I use?

and

Where can I get a gearbox at?

Please include links for me as well.

Thanks

Old 11-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Weaver Of Dreams

No one has any suggestions for motors or gear boxes?

Old 11-20-2011, 11:02 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Mike, you should consider the 3 speed just for the coolness of it. You have the room. I have a 55 turn motor in my dump I'm currently building and I added a 3:1 from Integy. Travis turned me on to this. It works really good and is like 20 bucks!

Brian
Old 11-22-2011, 01:08 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Quote:
Mike, you should consider the 3 speed just for the coolness of it. You have the room. I have a 55 turn motor in my dump I'm currently building and I added a 3:1 from Integy. Travis turned me on to this. It works really good and is like 20 bucks!

Brian
Brian unless I cut a hole in the floor of the sleeper and put the motor and 3 spd there, I don't have the room. the floor on my cab is flat. and about 1/4" above the frame rails.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Mike, you'll want to look at the planetary or spur gear head motors for powering your truck.

Spur gear head motors tend to be more compact, and their length remains the same, as the reduction is changed by swapping gears. Basically the motor has a small gear, which drives a large gear, which drives a small gear, and this repeats till you get the reduction you need.

A planetary gear head grows in length, as the reduction gets greater. They simply add another stage of reduction, one behind the other till you get what you need. A sun gear, driven by the motor, drives the outer planet gears, which spins a carrier, that drives another reduction stage using the same method, and this repeats itself, till you reach the output shaft.

Spur gear heads have an offset output shaft. A planetary will have an inline output shaft. Does it matter? Probably not on a truck. Both work well. If space is tight, go with a spur gear head motor. They are almost always shorter!

It's up to you to decide what reduction you think you need. The better question is, how fast do you want your truck to go, at full throttle? What's the diameter of your tires? How many volts do you intend to run? You can calculate the reduction needed, based off this information.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 AM
I'd rather be truckin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweaver View Post
Brian unless I cut a hole in the floor of the sleeper and put the motor and 3 spd there, I don't have the room. the floor on my cab is flat. and about 1/4" above the frame rails.
Thats what I meant. You could easily hide the drive line in the sleeper. Your cab is detailed are you doing this to the sleeper also?

Brian
Old 11-23-2011, 01:28 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Quote:
Thats what I meant. You could easily hide the drive line in the sleeper. Your cab is detailed are you doing this to the sleeper also?

Brian
Hadn't planned on it, but ya never know

The main thing I am asking is what motor. I have no idea what 540, 775 ect means.

Here is a link to the place where Rick said he got the motor and the gear box for the yellow zonker but they don't have the combo that he got any more.. But these are the gear boxes I was thinking about. Rick said he had a 25:1 in the zonker.. http://banebots.com/c/PLANETARY

Last edited by Dreamweaver; 11-23-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Weaver Of Dreams

I could use some help here guys... If you have a link to a site where I can find motors and gearboxes please post them.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:00 PM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road

540 cans are the stock size the Tamiya kits come with. Plain silver can motor cheap and you can get them everywhere. I like the tamiya three speed with gear reduction/low count pinion. I ran mine with stock can and pinion with 4:1 on 3S lipo and was still pretty quick. I limited throttle on my radio a bit in fwd and lot for reverse.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:00 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoranWraith View Post
540 cans are the stock size the Tamiya kits come with. Plain silver can motor cheap and you can get them everywhere. I like the tamiya three speed with gear reduction/low count pinion. I ran mine with stock can and pinion with 4:1 on 3S lipo and was still pretty quick. I limited throttle on my radio a bit in fwd and lot for reverse.

Thanks.. No room for the 3 spd. I built the truck planning on using a motor and gearbox that Rick (Roque) used but the link he sent me a long time ago don't work anymore.

I got it all figured out thanks to TC... I will be using a 540/55t with the RC4WD Disruptor. That should get me closer to the speeds I want.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Craftsman

Diesel Demond is on a distinguished road

wish i could see it in person! just awesome!!!!

Flat bedders do it with chains and straps,but now im yanking 53's