RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1:50 Dragline

Jim,

i did a quick search for 1/48 rc tanks to find a gearbox for you and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACADEMY-1-48...item4ac350585e

RC tanks are such a large hobby segment that you could probably find a tiny twin motor metal gearbox in 1/48 too for your dozer.

"No load is too Small"
Old 05-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Great minds must think alike. A buddy of mine that does RC airplanes and slot cars and 1/18 scale sprint cars with me said the same thing. "You need to find a small motorized tank and use the base from that for your crane"

I already feel like a cheater by simply converting a diecast, instead of scratching it like the rest of you guys!

That dozer I bought is gona be tough though, boy is it small. I may look for a D11, there has got to be more space to work with in the high drive model.

Jim
Old 05-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

The Acadamy tank gearbox looks to be well made.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355256

Your idea of using a slot.it crown gear and a shaft off the servo is clever.

"No load is too Small"
Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Craftsman

Well, I got it going, what a project... Lot of little details that seem like they took all day to iron out, oh wait, it DID take all day!

Don't remember if I posted this one, this was the FIRST location of the servo.

I wasn't happy with that spot. It hid the center mounting screw and was in the way for other reasons.

So, I moved it back to where the potential second servo was going to go.

Here is a shot of the center hole mod to allow the wire up the center instead of my initial plan of the kidney holes. Had to drill the center of a 8-24 rod and then drill and tap the center hole on the crane body. Won't be able to spin but good enough, just need to keep the revs down to about 1 each way. There was no way an audio jack was going to fit, I bought some 1/8 sets at radio shack and it just was to tight to get that to work.

And here is a short bench test. I had it on the loading wall, but it got cold an rainy again so no job site video today.

http://youtu.be/2osu07_ULxg

Jim
Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

wow progress!
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Craftsman

Hopefully the weather will be nice tomorrow and I can get some descent video back out at the canal loading wall, with a bit of walking up and down the length of the wall while loading another barge.

Jim
Old 05-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Wannabe

Seilbagger is on a distinguished road

Hi Jim,

very well done. For me this is to small, i would have problems with my big fingers, lol

Wolfgang

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Craftsman

Even yesterday as I was very close to finishing I thought, "this is too small, what have I gotten myself into?"

Jim
Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Craftsman

Default New edited Barge Loading Video with Crawling Action!

Here is my latest video...

http://youtu.be/8ewOhLxsRgc

Jim
Old 05-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Rvjimd-nice job on a very tiny model! Every thing seems to be working good and with the kind of loading you are doing from the wall you probably don't need steering on the dragline. I would NEVER try a build like this but I have enjoyed watching it all come together. Nice video too!!
Old 05-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Craftsman

I made a bunch of improvements to the crane so now the servos fit inside the cab. I was even able to put the big gear back in the right hand side that shows thru the door. I was having some issues with the plastic a frame structure that held the drums and the slewing servo came loose from the shaft, I figured while I was in there I would do a refit. Can't really see any difference from the video perspective but I had to test it out so, might as well film it huh?

http://youtu.be/NcxPRX6O5lY

Jim
Old 05-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Craftsman

Default New Fast Forward Loading Video

I just put up another loading video. This one I edited on the iPad and did a fast forward. It took about thirty minutes to load the flat top with side boards AND the new prototype.

Hope you guys are not sick of my barge loading obsession yet...

http://youtu.be/mgIoMDPAq-Q

Jim

Last edited by Rvjimd; 05-18-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:10 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Great Video ..Looks like some giant Red stergon cruisin the river ..good work on the conversion
Old 05-19-2013, 12:25 AM
Green Horn

YoungGunz is on a distinguished road

Love what you are doing here, really unique! Do you have a "project" planned? I would love to see a project start to finish based around the water. I think some dredging would be really cool too Jeez, talk about some river monsters
Old 05-19-2013, 07:52 AM
Craftsman

Ya, all of the gold fish started out life as little tiny feeders that I rescued from the pet store. There are also a bunch of them that were spawned in the pond the first year, so they would be coming up in three years old now.

A few of them are getting pretty big!

As far as a plan. We had a giant oak tree where the small patio is now at the bottom of the stairs. Well, it decided to come down on the house in a wind storm about four years ago. It smashed the deck, and the house. We had to resurface the deck and decided to add the center stairs and brick patio at the bottom. I said, hey, what about a pond? And if we're doing a pond, how about a river section running under the stairs? Cause if we're gona do that, the river should go in before the stairs. And the plan always included a lock chamber to a lower pool. And the entire project for me was about running tow boats and barges thru the lock?

The sand loading and crane just sort of came along naturally.

I need to find some large grit sand blast sand. I am hoping it will dredge better than the general purpose sand I have. I have tried some dredging, but the material sticks in the bucket when it gets wet. The pea gravel is too big and round and smooth and does not scoop up well.

I have also been studying the screener videos that Joe started. I think that if I could screen the sand I have, some of it might be well suited for part of the operation.

Thanks for the comments!

Jim
Old 05-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd-I like the changes you made to the dragline. It looks a lot more realistic now especially with the big gear showing thru the door. I notice on your videos you are "tight lining" with this model but with a small machine you can do that. Nice work!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Craftsman

MM,

I'm searching for "tight line" on the web but haven't found a real good description yet. Give me your explanation.

I assume it means the the hoist and drag ropes are never let free to go out or down without brake applied or in gear operation.

I would love to be able to cast the bucket when I dredge but without a complicated clutch system that won't happen. It would be pretty thought to cram that in there, unless someone makes a servo with a clutch built into it.

Thanks for the comment, add to the fun, learning more about stuff like that.

It's fun for me mostly, because my gramps ran a dragline, but I don't remember him too well, he died when I was very young. I can't remember for sure but I think he actually electrocuted himself on the dragline.

Jim
Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd-"tight lining" means carrying the bucket in close to the boom after it is loaded. This action on a real dragline would cause the hoist & drag motors to overheat and severely damage or possibly destroy them. Also remember that they are carrying 100's of tons of dirt with each bucket and this also puts extra stress on the hoist & drag ropes. The correct action is after the bucket is loaded you let out the drag cables until the bucket is swinging freely under the boom-point. Even to the point that you are spilling a little dirt as you swing toward the spoil pile. If done correctly this takes all of the stress off the motors and some off the ropes. If you watch videos of some good operators you can see this is the way they work. After the bucket is loaded they let out the drag cables as far as possible without dumping and then adjust the height of the bucket as they are swinging so they are ready to dump as soon as they reach the pile. It takes a little practice to get all the motions working together but then it is really fun to watch. Also with your ingenuity I think you could make the big gear turn off one of your drums or servos which I think would make the model even more realistic... Have fun!!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 AM
Craftsman

MM,

Thanks, very good description. I'll try that, I have been holding the bucket tight just to keep from spilling the material.

Related question for you - is there a perfect length for the tipping line ( is that what the short line is called, going from top of bucket to pulley, to drag rope shackle? I have messed with it about three times trying to figure out what works best. First I made it a bit too long and it would let the bucket tip too early. I have been shortening to get it to hold from tipping. I think when it is too short, the bucket won't hang empty and down properly. Maybe this is not going to come out perfect in such a small scale?

And, about the big gear. From the videos I have watched of full scales, I was under the impression that the big gear turns the same way ALL the time? Or does it reverse direction based on rope direction of the hoist?

I could probably drive the gear from an aux servo and not connect it to anything. It would look VERY COOL if that thing was turning!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 AM
Craftsman

MM,

One more question/comment...

I have seen some 1:1 stuff operated as you describe and they really get that bucket swinging! Espically if they are dredging. Is the counterweight matched to the anticipated load, or force involved when they cast the bucket?

I will never be able to get that sort of moves out of my little model just due to the lack of momentum. I don't even think I could get that "look" if I used some slow motion tricks with the video.

Thanks again. I enjoy learning more about all this stuff.

Jim