RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 12-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Well the treadmill didn't last long , well in its original glory

Hey Mario, if I got leftovers I'll send um to ya,, I was thinking of cutting at least 3 strips, maybe 4. I only need two.

Couldn't help it guys, the shop guys were taking a water break when I walked into the kitchen from slaving on parts in the shop!!

Started work on the bucket instead of hydraulic hard lines. This is the only saw I have. It's great for wood but I really hope I don't smoke it cutting metal. The main body of bucket is 22guage and the reinforcing it 16. That's really pushing this little saw.

I had this zinc plated key stock that I thought would be great for making teeth,,,,, figured once I'm done milling it I'll blast off the zinc before brazing. Boy, with the width of the slot and the key stock it's about all my little mill can do with the slitting saw. Figured the slit would be the hardest operation for work holding so it was first.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

I'm still looking for the icon for drooling! Ok, next best thing....

That belt looks REAL good ! And so does everything your doing to the hoe!
Your true to your word Ralph. I remember when you first joined the forum and said the 4200 was a starting point. I hope you been taking measurements and notes. Maybe get into the habit of making 2 of everything
Old 12-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Oh yeah.... And I think you "fixed" that treadmill just fine!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

You have the most interesting household trucks animals huge to small and everyone gets along so I don't see what adding pieces of a treadmill to the collection would hurt . My wife and I both enjoy your critter pics and vids ,they always put a smile on our face . Thanks Mike
Old 12-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem View Post
You have the most interesting household trucks animals huge to small and everyone gets along so I don't see what adding pieces of a treadmill to the collection would hurt . My wife and I both enjoy your critter pics and vids ,they always put a smile on our face . Thanks Mike
Thank you, I just add some random pics of things that give me a chuckle
Old 12-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Getting there
Old 12-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Ok I started working n the hard lines,,, what a pita!!! Hats off to you guys that make this stuff look simple!!!!!

The bent ones on right were replaced as a small crimp is in the bend. I have only wasted about 12-14" so far . I really need some help, someone that will hold parts in place while heating, and not mind the 600 degree temp on fingers. (Wife was being a skirt!)

And just a double check on clearances.

And I must say sometimes I actually surprise/impress myself!! They actually look good and line up!!

Next time I do cylinders I will braze ends first, use silver solder on next parts and use 40/60 on last parts. I kept getting worried about de soldering pieces and having solder leak into polished cylinders. The solder job isn't the best aesthetically but functions. I pressure checked all areas. Got a bit of bloody lip by hooking air compressor up to lift cylinder and having my face directly above when I added a bit too much and too fast amount of air!!! Oops. Guess that's better than spraying brake cleaner into one hose that curves directly back . (Yea, did that too, and took off the glasses right before!!). I do have a nick name of r.w., --turns into r dub, which turns into r dumb!!

But all n all I got the hard part done!!! Now just have to wait on some longer sections of tube, maybe Tuesday.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:52 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Never mind all this beautiful, precision metal work your sharing with us....how's the treadmill project coming along?
Old 12-13-2014, 07:25 AM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

I've seen a lot of live steam loco builders amazing stuff but I think this is more amazing . Are u using plans or cut and fit or the real one in the backyard ! Mario I bet the tread mill has already been rebuilt into a conveyor ! Mike
Old 12-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

I often wish I had someone with silicon fingers to help me hold small pieces while welding. It seems no matter how many tools I have for clamping there is always a situation where none of them fit. Great job on the cylinders. This will be the nicest looking China hoe out there when you are finished.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

I have a pair of welding gloves real handy when I do brass work, I don't think I have many finger prints left for burning the tips off

I was about to say something about the lack of furry employee photos lately, and you came through, still not as many as we'd like to see

The 4200 is looking real good, the Rams and piping are insane!

Oh yeah and feed the Mario animal some conveyor food before he passes out.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
I have a pair of welding gloves real handy when I do brass work, I don't think I have many finger prints left for burning the tips off

I was about to say something about the lack of furry employee photos lately, and you came through, still not as many as we'd like to see

The 4200 is looking real good, the Rams and piping are insane!

Oh no, I just ran out of Mario feed,,,,, possibly be picking up some kibble today
Old 12-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I did some modification to the cab. Trying to make it more 1:14 scale. I removed 1 1/4" off the bottom. Will have to replace one hinge location and trim the plastic yet. The one thing I don't have in the shop is a decent bandsaw, everything I've done so far has been hacksaw and cleaning up.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Some of the process to make those little ends for the hard lines. Just a lot of processes for a bunch of these little pieces.
Facing cut

Center drilling

5/32 slightly under hole

Threading hole .25 deep

Tapping for m5 thread

Beveled end

Slightly over 5/32 for solder .10 deep

Had to make 14 if um.
These little buggers were time consuming !!!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

And the heat gun for moulding the line works well
Old 12-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Still have to make some hard line supports for the cylinders. I may print them depending on how much force is added to lines from movement.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road

Cooper, just a sugestion, I use a botch Jiggsaw with metal blade to cut my curvey stuff I have cut up to 1/4 inch steel with it. This of course is a cheap but effective solution to cutting about anything. This jigsaw is not your normal jigsaw, because it has kind of a circular reciprocating motion.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Great job on the lines and fittings! Very time consuming making all the fiddly parts isn't it. Sometime you wonder if it's worth it, but when people ask you can still say I made those myself!! I see the supervisor is sound asleep in the chair as usual! It's hard to get good help these days isn't it! Good job they work for peanuts and kibble.
Cheers Rob
Old 12-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Oh no, I just ran out of Mario feed,,,,, possibly be picking up some kibble today
ya! Show me the kibble !
Old 12-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

That's what I was looking for early this morning in barn when I noticed how light it was in the back. Looked at a rock pile and realized the wall had collapsed!! Now have a 6' by 2' hole in the foundation wall!! It's the back side of the earthen ramp leading to second floor from outside. And after looking around a bit the rest of wall about 40' looks "ok" . Some other exterior work high up on boards needes attention. I think I may take a drive over to the Amish farm and get them to finally do some much needed repairs. Have an old silo about 60' high, cement block style that silage has eaten away at about 35-40% of foundation blocks. That's been a big concern of mine for a while. Dad just thinks it's fine and doesn't need anything .

So I forgot to pick up what I was after, I have a few old low voltage light power supplys. I was thinking they output 12 volts and I may use them as a landline power distrubutation house for the future screening plant and conveyor (that I plan on making )!!! So Mario, the cats out of bag and I forgot to pick them up. That's about the only progress I have in the conveyor job. Winter time is supposta be my slow time, I've been working more now than ever!!! Well if you can call this work