RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Welcome New Members

Welcome New Members A place to introduce yourself to the membership.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:15 PM

GjtBob is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from Western Colorado

Hi everyone, I'm Bob from Western Colorado, and I am a total newbie to the site, and RC Trucking, however I was a Professional Trucker for 25 years before being forced into retirement 8 years ago due to a severe illness.

I am really looking forward to learning as much as I can about RC, and am still deciding on my first build. I am curious where some of you buy your kits online, as my local Hobby Store, is mainly into aircraft, and I want to stay on the ground for now. Also, I'm interested in any advice on Radio equipment that is a good entry level, but also has room to grow with me for a few years.

I've been cruising the forums, and love what I have seen so far. Sorry I'm long winded, but I am pretty stoked about getting into this sport.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:08 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hello from Western Colorado

Welcome to the forum Bob. Your only limitation is your imagination.

I like Spektrum technology. Very easy to program, very easy to use & expand.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/

Joe
Old 02-21-2015, 03:08 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

to the forum Bob.

Ebay will be your best source for kits and parts. Sometimes things are in different areas than you would expect. I would suggest figuring out what kit you want first, and then putting it in the search. For instance "King Hauler" or "Tamiya King Hauler"

Good luck.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 02-21-2015, 08:10 PM

Thanks guys. And for Lil Giants, I've watched many of your YouTube videos, and am truly amazed at what you were able to do, all while "playing". I've got a pretty good idea that I'm going to start with either the King or the Knight Hauler, as I like the look of the Chromed Tanks and boxes that are visible, and the fact that I've seen so many video's showing those trucks. I've got a pretty good imagination, so I have lot's of ideas of things I'd like to do as I progress, including building my own trailers. I used to build 1/25 static models, and custom build all kinds of extra equipment for them, so this will get my creative juices flowing again.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

Welcome to sick addiction Bob....just remember, these trucks n equipment are exactly like potato chips......you can never have just one.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKNICK View Post
Welcome to sick addiction Bob....just remember, these trucks n equipment are exactly like potato chips......you can never have just one.
or a oily mess, hydralics are fun!!
welcome to the sickness
Old 02-22-2015, 01:58 AM
Apprentice

jack van is on a distinguished road

hi there bob this is the place to fuel the fire of hope hehe i am already wanting to spend sooo much money hehe just got to figure where to get the money
Old 02-23-2015, 08:46 AM

I've been drooling over all the different models available, I can't wait to find some $$$ and start my fleet. Thanks for all the replies, this is making me feel very welcome, unlike a few other groups I've tried, for our full size car, so far, I feel this group is pretty down to earth.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:49 AM

I've jumped in with both feet! I have a Knight Hauler on the way. I decided to go with a 6 channel radio system, a Tactic TTX650 paired with a Tactic TR624. I went with the Tamiya TRU-302BK ESC. I also ordered 8 RC4WD Roady 1.7" Commercial 1/14 Semi Truck Tires for the drive axles, Ball Bearings for the axles and tranny, 2 Duratrax Onyx NiMH 6C 7.2V 2000mAh Stick Standard Plug batteries, a Duratrax Onyx 200 AC/DC Peak Charger, 3 Futaba S3004 Standard Ball Bearing Servos, and a 24x36 cutting mat to get started, all from Tower Hobbies. I played the "loophole" game, and split it into 2 orders that came out to just over $399 each, in order to take advantage of a $70 discount, thus saving me $140 total on the above. I've also got an RC4WD 4:1 gear reduction unit on the way, direct from them. I also won an eBay auction for a Lot with a Tamiya Animal guard bumper, a Tamia Roof spoiler, ( both for a future build, or possibly to sell), and a Tamiya Tractor Truck Electrical Unit Set, the precursor to the MFU's I guess, as I don't want sound, YET. Now I just need to get an idea for my color scheme I'll use for my entire fleet, as I grow. I'm really stoked to get started! I'll TRY to post pics as I go, but no promises. Lol
Old 03-04-2015, 10:51 PM

Gator is on a distinguished road

Hi GjtBob, sounds like we both are jumping in, I took advantage of the Tower discount also and ordered the Cascadia. I'm thinking about the gear reduction unit also, let me know how it works out for you.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:11 AM

Hey Gator, I will. I'm excited, but trying to stay refrained at the same time, as I want this to come out nice. Good luck on your venture here as well.