RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 02-13-2011, 08:07 PM

Operator is on a distinguished road
Default DIY Hyd Pump

Hello,

I new to this forum, and the RC working machinery bug. I looked through old threads for info on how these hdy systems function, and vendors that provide them. I've gathered that these mostly are an import for people here in the states, and only 1 or 2 choices. Also quite expensive.

Has anyone here tried to make their own? Was it successful? If not, what where the problems?

Is there anyone willing to work on a team build of making some? Or working as a team to figure one of these out?

I'm not Mechanical engineer, but I can make parts. In need of some brains.

Matt

Last edited by Operator; 02-13-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: DIY Hyd Pump

welcome Matt Here's 2 threads discussing pumps http://173.201.47.108/showthread.php?t=975 http://173.201.47.108/showthread.php?t=715

IHSteve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:18 PM

Thanks Steve,

Don't sound like anyone has anything nailed down yet.

Matt
Old 02-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Matt it is not rocket science to make a pump. The big part is tight tolerances between the gears and the pump body. I started to do one and got side tracked with other things. I got a 1 HP Castle Creations motor for it. What gave me the trouble was the 2 shafts. If you like I would work as a team with you. PM me. Ed
Old 02-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator View Post
Thanks Steve,

Don't sound like anyone has anything nailed down yet.

Matt
I got mine pumping , but I haven't got to pressure test yet . 1 flaw I see with it is the motor . I think I'll burn the tamy silver can motor up pretty quick I figured that though but for the price of the germans I'm not pushing it YET I got another design similar to the jung pump . Which I know will work ,It's just making it compact enough . I have the sickle gear set , I just have to make the housing . I'm just a little tied up till I get the shop converted to cnc . I got the mill ,once going I'll be running a lot of different things I hope to up-date the lathe before winter . BTW nice lil shop you have

IHSteve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road

If I had a wire edm in my shop I would make some up no prob, just haven't gotten that far yet in the machinery purchases.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
If I had a wire edm in my shop I would make some up no prob, just haven't gotten that far yet in the machinery purchases.
That EDM is some amazing stuff. I got a CAM program for that, but Know nothing about it. I've seen gears cut with EDM that makes a penny look like a house in size.

Way be on my gray matter!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

guys - if you have the design I have access to wire EDM - they tell me that the cut tollerance is somewhere around .0005"

chris
Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Wannabe

What kind of demand do you think there would be for these. I can probably get it all done, would have to do some prototyping and testing first though.

What kind of specs are the pumps you guys are using now? I mean what motor running it, at what rpm, PSI, flowrate???
Old 02-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Apprentice

trucker n is on a distinguished road

i think if the price was right i know the demand would be good i know they psi is set at 174 but can be adjusted the rpm imnot sure of but would they be like the leimbach ones with a built in tank
Old 02-24-2011, 12:37 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Motor rpm is about 6000rpm. Don't know the specs of the motor.

Flow is 350ml/minute

150 to 210psi

Gears is one thing, but .0001" tolerance within the pump housing is primary in achieving success with these minature pumps.

Hard to say what demand might be, but I would guess once word got out that they were "locally" available for around $250 - 300, 50 pumps a yr, maybe more. There's a great deal more enthusiasts out there in north america that do not participate on forums... lots of lurkers on forums though.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Wannabe

Well, I do have a VMC, turning center, and Computer controlled CMM, so the tolerance while tight, is not impossible for me. Maybe when things slow down a bit (hectic couple weeks) I'll look seriously into designing and building a gerotar style pump and see if it actually works.

Anyone have a junked pump I could have to look at for a bit??
Old 02-28-2011, 07:07 PM

dadandlad is on a distinguished road

If i get chance i will take the pump out of my Aircraft tug at the weekend and take some pictures for you.
It is made from a old hydraulic pump,very easy to make and also very cheap
Old 03-05-2011, 03:57 PM

Well managed to remove pump from truck so here goes.

Get along to your local hydraulics repair shop and ask if you can have one or two of there old pumps prefrebly small ones
Strip the pump and discard the end plates,keeping the centre section gears and the gear end plates.
Mill the main body down to whatever size you require
Make two end plates which you will need to drill and tap to the main body and you have a complete pump.
Sorry if this is not very clear but hopefully you will get a better idea from the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007 (Small).JPG (57.3 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg 008 (Small).JPG (50.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 009 (Small).JPG (50.6 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 010 (Small).JPG (53.5 KB, 188 views)
Old 03-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Were did you find those gears? They look great and look like they would putout some pressure. Ed
Old 03-05-2011, 06:14 PM

Hi Ed
The gears are the original pump gears and the cavity they sit in is the original
Basically all you are doing is removing the bulk of the original pump and fitting a couple of end plates.
I will see if i can lay my hands on another pump and do a step by step tutorial.
The original pump was good for 100Bar but with the motors we use in modelling i will not be able to reach that sort of pressure.

There is a gentleman who lives close by and made his own pump from 2 meccano gears sat in a close fitting housing which powers his excavotor very effectivley

Last edited by dadandlad; 03-05-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Wannabe

Ok, I sourced a bad pump to start a new design off of. Looks like I should have the needed equipment to make similar pumps, with possibly some added features or options.

Couple more questions for you all.

What voltage are you running in your models? How many turn motor do the standard pumps come with, 27?? What are the pros and cons of the current selection of pumps available? I mean how is motor life, would you prefer they be designed to run on a 55 turn motor, what typically fails etc etc.

If I can get a good working pump on a test stand, then probably get 1 or 2 of you guys to test and review and if all goes well become a vendor here and make and sell pumps as well as eventually fittings and various cylinders and other hydraulic stuff.

Last edited by pugs; 03-15-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

i would be interested in a pump and a 5 spool valves lol power up my TS14 scraper everything is hydralic it would be a great test and durability and it is a 1/10 th scale machine everything steering and up and down the bowl is all hydros hit me up i am interested
Old 03-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

i would be running 12 or 14 volts i run the grm's on 14.4 on the D7 and doesn't hurt them at all
Old 03-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Wannabe

Well it will take a bit of time to finish up the work I have in the shop now and build a prototype and run it on a test stand for a while. And yes eventually I would probably look into valves and such, but right now just taking one step at a time, get pumps first then fittings then cylinders etc etc.

For now though just trying to get some good input from you guys and work out a good design to prototype.