RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: D8R +463 in 1/5,6

Hi Joe, here´s how I sloved it. The ripper brackets back on machine was made new with a 3rd leg on low position.

then there´s 3 other parts, the coupler and 2 different connectors

Then there was a scraper coupler holder made to fit inside the cut out of ripper baseplate.

With the different connectors between base plate and coupler holder I can change so when not using scraper, the coupler is folded and secured in parking position, not interfiering when using ripper. Since it has same turning point as baseplate it´s just dead weight.

But when using scraper, baseplate is lowered and secured with the other connector, bolted with 2 screws (not shown here), one to hold coupler in holder and the other to keep coupler holder in right position. Now the ripper cylinder has to be disconnected (I use same valve function for ripper and scraper with the small hydraulic quick couplings), I hope that cylinder will be tight enough to hold ripper in high position (I will do a double set of o-rings in piston on ripper raise cylinders).

Here´s another view from bellow when coupler is installed in holder.

The basic design is copied from friends real D8 but adapted to work on my model. The only concern, as mentioned, is if the ripper lifting cylinder will keep the ripper assembly up when working with scraper but time will tell!
Dan
Old 01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Apprentice

Continued to make all walls/openings round windows thicker to accept rubber gasket. Did this also to doors (a 0,5mm styrene on inside), doors needs to be much thicker so this styrene layer makes it easier to build door frames.

Tried out the different heights on interior, operator Jim still waiting to drive

He got a fire extinguisher made to same scale from different brass parts.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Dan. Don't you just love styrene. It make great patterns for mock ups to be made from metal. The D11 is getting very close now and that's exciting. I don't know if you've found rubber for the windows but I use this product and it works great.
http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=FOR133
Rob
Old 01-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Apprentice

Hi Rob, yes styrene is fantastic but this time the interior will be made in styrene only. It takes some time to do it this way and there´s no reason to do it in metal, have cab to protect it.
The rubber gasket will be a H-profil from a german supplier, Knupfer. This gasket will hold the windows in a prototypical way.

Dan
Old 01-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Apprentice

Did some more interior this weekend, main components ready exept for instrument cluster (needs more photos on that one). Will do the handles next and suspension for seat.

Main seat area (had to compromise with an extra box inside seating area to cover servos and valves bellow, will not be noticeable when seat and driver in place)

Rear of seat area, a lot of different styrene pieces

Main seat painted 1st time, armrest not mounted.

Operator testing out, looks like he can grab the handles, he´s a short guy so needs to sit to front. Cab internal roof also done, still missing lamp, speakers and radio.

Dan
Old 01-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road

Very nice. You'll have to mount a small camera behind operators head and have a real life view.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Green Horn

Stefan is on a distinguished road

Hej Dan! I´m very impressed by your build. It all looks so real! Can hardly wait to have a closer look at it this summer (guys, I feel so privileged by the fact that my parents live just a couple of miles from Dan - or maybe I should be sorry that I emigrated ).

Stefan
Old 01-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Apprentice

Thanks pugs and Stefan!
If there will be a camera or not has to be decided, lenses getting smaller all time so we see (maybee in the head of the driver?).
Stefan, your velcome to visit me, of course all others also passing by to!

Did some small detail work for interior like handles, here 2 of them. At left the control lever for main dozer, built up of 27 pcs styrene parts, milled and sanded to shape. At right the blade handle, here shown with all parts only glued together, not sanded down yet.

After some searching I found a small electrical switch with a good looking rubber gasket. 2 of them will be used for blade and ripper controls. Of course they will be moving when blade/ripper moves No they will not!

Still to do the front display area, need a better photo on this one since I will print the complete dashboard, maybee with some lightning behind. If there is someone having axcess to a D8R serieII or a D6R (yes, same cab) and could take a picture of the dash board like below I would be grateful. I have a backup machine to photograph but it is a 2 hour drive (1-way) away.
Importent is that display has to be clean and with engine running to show readings on display!

to next time, happy modeling!
Dan
Old 02-05-2012, 12:51 PM

jimkidmotorsports is on a distinguished road

dan that thing is a work of art but i want to see it push some dirt get after it and finish it pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 02-05-2012, 01:12 PM

hay dan how do you attach the front track assembly to the main frame i see in the rear its the tube but what is on the front thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road

There is an equalizer walking beam bar between the track fronts with a pivot point under middle of main body frame. Can be seen in reply #68 of this thread a little bit.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Apprentice

Here´s 2 other photo´s showing how beam is mounted.
The upside of beam will work against 2 rubber cusions mounted on main frame

Here´s the beam installed, the pivot has a steel pin. If there should be a movement on beam up and down, you need rubber gaskets inside the beam where side track frame is connected to beam. Short: the side frame can only move circular around the main pivot axle (if steel to steel, I have 2 o-rings in side track frame) and the beam is working 90 degress in opposite, that makes the beam going a fraction inwards when going up and down. To make this movment possible I have also installed a rubber tubing in beam. It works great without any bindings. Metal to metal in all connections will never work here!

The beam gets a lot of stress on real machines, it´s common that it brakes!

Hope this explains how it is done and how it works.
Dan

ps. have contact with another operator of an D6 nearby so will go and take photos and messurments on dash board next weekend.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:59 PM

That's. A pivot beam in the middle so the front track can pivot a little thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 04:49 PM

And the track bar is mounted in the front with a pin between the two mounting flanges on the track bar right
Old 02-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Apprentice

Time for some update and photos!
Spent available time adding parts for interior. As mentioned before, had some misses in messurments done out in the field, got possibility (finaly after months waiting) to make correct messurments on another machine. At same time I also got new pictures of instrument panel that could be used.
Still working with last details on inside roof/doors then painting all inside. Arm rests not mounted yet.

Steve, as you can see, the operator has a air suspended seat now, he looks a little more happy Left hand can be put into lever for speed and direction control.

The new photo of instrument panel, engine running at 800rpm as you can see! Had to rebuild the panel twice to get it correct to the photo.

This reminds me of a feature show last exibition i Germany that I attended to. Here´s a miniature screen showing some values in real time from sensors in machine. A company Brix is offering this to there RC controls but can´t be used by other systems.

Made also some extra details/items that every operator has in some degree inside cab, papers (Wheels of Time, Equipment Echos, Machinery Trader and local swedish newspaper) Coca cola can, swedish coffee tray(vacuum), chocolate bar and a pac cigarettes (no, no smoking inside cab!)
As you can see there´s a new operator now (Joey), the old one (Jim) got fired! He refused to put all bolts in the tracks.

Dan
Old 02-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Green Horn

Stefan is on a distinguished road

Dan, this is absolutely amazing! Really incredible!!!

Stefan
Old 02-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

D8R-excellent detail work!! This will add a lot to an already great model.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

That really is great! The new operator looks a bit like Russell Crowe to me.lol
Old 02-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

awsome work keep the pics comming
Old 03-10-2012, 03:37 AM
Apprentice

Thanks all for your comments!

Finally operators station done, only thing still lacking inside cab is to make doors thicker. Has not decided to wich degree the inside will be made dirty yet, guess there will be be some when starting drivning.

Will now start doing the last components still missing in drive line and hydraulic system, muffler still missing (was promissed by a entusiastic viewer at one show that he should do it, he worked all days building muffler, just talk talk....)
Will build one in steel to get noice as low as possible, will have exhaust outlet thrue stack of course.
Dan

Last edited by D8R; 04-19-2012 at 06:12 AM.

Tags
1/5.6, big scale, cat, d8r, dozer