RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Green Horn

Goose19 is on a distinguished road
Default Saddle Pack Lipos

cant seem to get a clear answer if a saddle pack lipo is two 2cell packs, wired in parallel or two single cells wired in series. anyone know?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Journeyman

woodhog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Saddle Pack Lipos

It would be two 2 cell packs wired in parallel ,that would double your mah rating but not double the voltage. If you wire it in series it would double your voltage. I guess it would dephend on what you are trying to accomplish . Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Green Horn

im looking to use half a saddle pack in my KH to drive it around, i dont want to have to unbolt the cab everytime i need to charge it. half a saddle pack will fit in between the frame rails nicely and be easy to get at, but i need 7.4v. i know i'll have half the run time, but i'll also have 2 packs i can change easy rather than one that lasts longer but is a pain to get at.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

I guess we need a pic and the specs of what you are wanting to use? If you go with a smaller 2200mah lipo it should fit just fine in the frame rails.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
I guess we need a pic and the specs of what you are wanting to use? If you go with a smaller 2200mah lipo it should fit just fine in the frame rails.

Travis
i know it will fit, but im getting mixed answers about if one of the two halves of a saddle pack is a 2 cell 7.4 battery with half the Mah of the total rating for the battery.

heres an example

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYYZ8&P=7
Old 01-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

No you can't use half of it as each pack is one cell and it comes with a jumper plug to wire them in series. Basically the battery plug has a positive and negative lead. The positive lead goes to the positive of one battery and the negative goes to the negative of the other then the jumper connects the open positive and negative of the 2 batteries.

Travis

Old 01-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Green Horn

perfect. ok that was the answer i was looking for. while finding you the example i found this.
a little over kill for our trucks (power wise) but the size is perfect for between the rails under the bunk.

thanks travis!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose19 View Post
i know it will fit, but im getting mixed answers about if one of the two halves of a saddle pack is a 2 cell 7.4 battery with half the Mah of the total rating for the battery.

heres an example

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYYZ8&P=7
If you look at this battery pack, or any LiPo pack you will see it's configuration, which is given by the designation '2S 2P'.

What 2S means is you have two LiPo cells, wired in series. 2P means you have two LiPo cells wired in parallel. Together, when you have a 2S 2P battery pack, you have two, two series celled battery packs wired in parallel to double the amp hour capacity.

The 2S 2P pack you provided a link to, is basically two 2250 mili-amp 2S packs, in parallel with each other, and each 2S pack is one part of the saddle. Cutting off one half would give you a single 2S pack, with half the run time. If you need a smaller battery pack, then you just have to look for one that fits your application, and probably a 2S pack, instead of a 2S 2P pack.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
If you look at this battery pack, or any LiPo pack you will see it's configuration, which is given by the designation '2S 2P'.

What 2S means is you have two LiPo cells, wired in series. 2P means you have two LiPo cells wired in parallel. Together, when you have a 2S 2P battery pack, you have two, two series celled battery packs wired in parallel to double the amp hour capacity.

The 2S 2P pack you provided a link to, is basically two 2250 mili-amp 2S packs, in parallel with each other, and each 2S pack is one part of the saddle. Cutting off one half would give you a single 2S pack, with half the run time. If you need a smaller battery pack, then you just have to look for one that fits your application, and probably a 2S pack, instead of a 2S 2P pack.

Hope this helps.
I agree with what your saying Nate but when you go to Venom's web site and look at the battery and the wiring it shows I don't see how you can wire the two packs in parallel. Each pack only has one pos and one neg output. The wiring shown only allows for series wiring.

Click here for a link to venom's site with the batteries and wiring

Travis

Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Good eye Travis! Tower's site does not really show the batteries and wires, like Venom shows it. From what I see, I'm guess each half of the saddle pack must be two LiPo cells in parallel, and then you complete the pack by plugging the wires in, and putting those packs in series. Running just one would only give you 3.7 volts then, which would be pretty useless for most models. So I guess maybe Venom should label this pack as a 2P 2S?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Green Horn

thats what had me confused, its labeled 2s2p, but isn't. thanks guys!