RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road
Default Toy dozer has RC potential!

I'm in need of a dozer for the backyard but just cant afford a real deal, metal dozer. I was searching ebay and came across this new bright dozer. Size seems right, and so is the price.Cost less than a bruder and this one is already powered so I thought what the heck.
Just got it today, tested in the back and this thing aint too bad !

taking it apart was a breeze by the way. cab pops off easy tabs and the body is 5 screws and no tabs! Nice!

I couldn't help myself and had to see how a lipo fits.
Its a 6V system right now, I wonder if I would burn the motors out using 7.4

I have yet to do a rc conversion of my own but I think this is a great machine to try it on. Im thinking sabertooth 2x12 5A. Servo city drive motors mounted to a plate which will be secured by another plate on the bottom of the dozer for strength and added weight on the drives. a high torque servo to lift the blade....etc.
I'll keep ya's posted!

Mario
Old 07-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toy dozer has RC potential!

That's a nice start. If you want a bigger one I have JD radio controlled monster.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:38 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Mario,

Thanks for the thread, keep us posted on the progress! I like the idea of already having the drivetrain in there, did you try pushing dirt with it using the lipo?

Looks like the blade also is motorized?

Oh, one more thing. You think you will need extra ballast to make it work good? I would expect it to be pretty light weight out of the box.

Jim
Old 07-15-2014, 11:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

it's a good start!
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:51 AM
Wannabe

pumptech is on a distinguished road

Looks like a fun project ,does the drive gear boxes have a slipper clutch ,if so, its a easy fix ,pull apart ,dap of superglue or hotglue ,look forward seeing push some dirt soon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain Jack View Post
That's a nice start. If you want a bigger one I have JD radio controlled monster.
Wow! That thing is huge! How much does it weight?
It's a little big for my pit unfortunately and it's a John Deere......... Sorry, ain't gonna happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjimd View Post
Mario,

Thanks for the thread, keep us posted on the progress! I like the idea of already having the drivetrain in there, did you try pushing dirt with it using the lipo?

Looks like the blade also is motorized?

Oh, one more thing. You think you will need extra ballast to make it work good? I would expect it to be pretty light weight out of the box.

Jim
It's really weak @ 6V and not sure how much more 7.4 will give but I plan on trying this weekend. If it burns out then the entire drive system comes out and I start shopping at robot shop or servo city

The blade is motorized with a huge plastic gear box that has to go. It won't drop the blade below level with the tracks. I might try to use the existing linkage system with a high torque servos.

Upgrading and added aluminum plating will add some weight but can't get too heavy or next problem will be the tracks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
it's a good start!
Yup, I think it's very first time Rc conversion friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptech View Post
Looks like a fun project ,does the drive gear boxes have a slipper clutch ,if so, its a easy fix ,pull apart ,dap of superglue or hotglue ,look forward seeing push some dirt soon
Haven't opened up the gear boxes and judging by the weak motors, probably no clutch. Blade has one I know

The timing is terrible for this project! It's a perfect winter plan but I got work for a dozer now! Which reminds me..... I have to put spreader chains on the dump truck!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Not sure if this is the right place to continue this thread but I've actually begun my first toy conversion to full RC.

Ordered some motors from robotshop , faster speed than I wanted but the right size , decent strength and cheap price.

Mounted up to the stock sprockets real nice...

The way the final drives were assembled from new bright, the covers are remove able so all is hidden.

Start hacking plastic .....

Reinforcement.....

And the first test of the track speed @ 7.4V

http://youtu.be/xSh2YrEMFOE

Mario
Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Toy dozer has RC potential!

Nice work Mario

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 08-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Wannabe

pumptech is on a distinguished road

Looking good Mario those motors will give you plenty of drive power,what speed controller are you going to use

Old 08-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Control Trucker View Post
Nice work Mario

- RCT
Thanks J

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptech View Post
Looking good Mario those motors will give you plenty of drive power,what speed controller are you going to use
Thanks bud. I didn't want to go crazy with the power. Hope it's strong enough but not too strong and break everything else!

I have never used one yet but have heard nothing but good things about Sabertooth and chose the 2X5 amp version. Should be plenty of power for this, not expensive and small size !

I would have this thing running in the basement by now but I screwed up and ordered the wrong controller! I never saw the RC version and the one I got had no leads for the RX! No big deal, the proper one should be here in the next couple days.

Mario
Old 08-14-2014, 09:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

wow much progress!
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
Old 08-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

More progress!
I have to start by saying I love robotshop. I placed an order on Sunday , got confirm of ship on Monday , arrived at my door Wednesday 11:30am!
And it cost me less than 7 bucks for shipping.
Finally! a truly great ordering experience

So I got the sabertooth controller and installed today. Can't believe how easy and simple to do and works great on the first try.

Picked up one of these the other day. Should work great for the blade

And here is the first run of this super fast dozer

http://youtu.be/37_ioInM-2E

Mario
Old 08-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Mario,

Thanks for all the info! Can you say more about the controller? It looks like something I am going to order. Are there different variations of it? You indicated rc or not rc, and are there different voltages and or amp ratings? Did it plug into your RX without issues?

Jim
Old 08-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjimd View Post
Mario,

Thanks for all the info! Can you say more about the controller? It looks like something I am going to order. Are there different variations of it? You indicated rc or not rc, and are there different voltages and or amp ratings? Did it plug into your RX without issues?

Jim
Hey Jim. There are a couple versions available that are RC ready. Meaning the controller has RX leads which plug right in.
I bought the smallest version. It runs on 6-18V and can deliver 5 amps continuos to each motor and peak output of 10amps for short periods.
The next size runs on 6-24V and delivers 12amps continuos.
Really great little unit. Only flaw or problem I can see is the BEC inside it can only handle 1 amp so if you have a servo that uses high amps it will cause the controller to shut down.

Anyway, here is the link to the page of various sabertooth controllers.

http://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/rc-mo...ntrollers.html

Mario
Old 08-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Back from a week long trip to my home town. Finally got a chance to do some work on the dozer. Time is a wasting so pulled a good session, 6hrs last night and atleast 8hrs today.

Got the blade working and ballast in the front end. If I did this again, the one thing I would do different is mount the motor drives a little lower and eliminate the rocking or tilting from front to back.

Not sure how heavy it is now with added weight?... Maybe 3lbs now? I want to add more but using plastic stock rollers and track frames, I can't get to crazy.

Anyway, the new firgelli actuator for the blade.....

The blade in action......

http://youtu.be/TAkNAFgLFyw

The first pushing.... With some operator training, Rip ground no. Push dirt yes

http://youtu.be/c2fvkwHAcKY

Thanks for lookin

Mario
Old 09-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Here is a recent video of the dozer and what it can do.
I just placed it on a scale to see what it weighs with battery. - 4 lbs, 12 OZ.
It performs beyond my expectations and very happy

http://youtu.be/7NXlh-XHy34
Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 PM

sandfarmer is on a distinguished road

I've got one of those New Bright Dozer's in the shed along with the excavator that matches it, I think they have potential for beefing up too but it won't do much with the drivetrain it came with. But yes, good start!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I forgot about this thread till recently. The dozer has been running great for me except for slack in the blade linkage makes operating interesting and the high motor speed makes it tricky.

Couple weeks ago I fixed the blade slack but with recent use I see it's now time for a undercarriage upgrade.

Old VS new....

Dozer currently weighs around 5lbs. I'd like to add another pound or so but I don't want to put all that weight inside the body which the track frames would have to support so here was my idea this weekend.......

Stock track frame has all kinds of room to add some weight and places it at the lowest possible spot on machine.

Also, the dozer isn't balanced correctly and rocks from front to back when lifting a loaded blade. I think the rollers are too far back and 2 is not enough so....

Some 3/8 flat bar and BBs for ballast....

I started with 1" wooden dowel for rollers but then found these laying around. Drilled out the nail and instant Teflon rollers!

Also did some work on the push arms. They don't really serve a purpose and are mostly for show because blade support and strength is in the centre.

But I didn't like the cheezy anchor point so I upgraded with something we are all familiar with that I had laying around. They fit perfectly! I had to chuckle.

And yes of course we have sound and lights now. Nice little speakers from Reg work nicely and I installed a few lights.
And a few CAT logos naturally

Old 10-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

This video is without the new undercarriage upgrade and once the operator knows what he's doing, this machine pushes well.

Hope to test out the new setup this weekend.

http://youtu.be/ESmv-LxpHcc
Old 10-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

My apologies. This probably isn't the best place to be posting this build. If the admins could move to a more proper thread, thanks.

Undercarriage rebuild continued today. New, track frames are done and ready so time to bring in the dozer and remove the old.

Playing in the dirt does have its benefits. The superfine stuff worked its way into the track frame mounting dowels. Things were much tighter than when I put it together and took some effort to work them loose. Nice when a machine tightens up with use

I put it on the scale today. The stock original weighed 1lbs 5oz.
Fully equipped now it tips the scale at 6lbs 10oz. Which is just about as far as I want to go. plenty of motor power, it's the tracks I don't want to push too far.
The new roller set up should help....