RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road
Default just wondering

i was wondering what would it take or take out the have a company make a construction machines for like 5-800$ instead of the standard 1000-5000 dollar range? i mean plastic is pretty good stuff, so it doesn't need to be metal. and doesn't need hydraulics, or just sell the bear machine and let people add there own guts like the hydraulics and electronics?

i just finished looking at the r/c4wd's new frount end loader . it's a bad machine!!!! but it's the price of a small car. so i would never own one. and i'm quit tiered of making stuff and converting toys. i fully get why they are so pricey, but i think they would have a better following if they where cheaper .

or is that the cool part that they are less popular?

http://store.rc4wd.com/112-Scale-Ear...er_p_3828.html
Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: just wondering

cosworth34677-ARE YOU ON DRUGS Just kidding. This is just the world we live in. When I bought my first new car way back in 1964 it was a bad a$$ GTO with every speed option that I could get. It cost $3100. Have you looked at the price of a new car lately? I probably paid less for the house that I live in than what a medium priced new car cost now. The world has changed. Do you really think someone can build a quality model and sell it for $500-$800? I have scratch built a few models and spent well over $2000 on materials. Not to mention tools and machine tooling. But I accepted that because that is what I wanted to do. Companies that put out large quantities of models have HUGE investment costs and simply cannot build and sell models "cheap". If you are serious, then start out small. Convert a few cheap models to R/C, to learn how, then buy some equipment (one pc, at a time) and learn how to build your own stuff. I think you will find that the true enjoyment is in the building and not the operation of a model. The first time you work with a model is exciting but after a while it becomes boring and you will be looking for something else to build.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Journeyman

im not saying to make them cheap. the think is that if a big company like say tamiya made one they can bring the price waaay down because they make them in bulk. i know at my shop we make one sign with our cnc router it cost more then 100 of the same thing by unit.

also i've converted and made a few and i know the price it takes. ok i will give you 1000 dollars, but the 5000 dolor price tag is kind of crazy when you bring it back to real life and think it's a toy truck! and i'm right now looking at a 2003 mazda protege5 online that is 4,500 dollars out the door's .
the think i was saying is that even if you just made a rolling chassie like they do in the "fast" r/c world like touring cars and buggy's they can bring it down. i know and you know
that folks will buld them how they want put there own stuff in them. i've been into r/c models since i was like 8 and this thing about a "nice" r/c truck and tractor just seems funny that they cost so much. even with all the detail and movements, when can go buy a full race touring car with a good radio and motor ,esc and charger and a few other hardware for about a grand . it seem little over priced. i may be wrong but a tamiya TRAILER should not cost more the truck that pulls it! its a trailer see what i mean ?
Old 01-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

I am on both sides of the fence on one hand its would be cool if they made the shell of the Construction Eq. or the Truck/trailer and you could add your own flavors to it but at the same time some people just want the complete kit and some people just don't have the time to build the exact replica. I don't think you can really compare r/c cars to these machines they don't really have alot of the features that these vehicles have and most r/c cars i have seen cost 1/3 of the price due to that factor. i do agree that the joy in these r/c's is building and watching them being built by other and getting very good ideas for perhaps future builds.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

See that is where the problem comes in. You dont always get good quality+ with high volume when you pay less however low volume allows the company to take more time on detail and feedback to intergrate more precise details that might be missing if they mass produced
Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 AM

kenobi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosworth34677 View Post
im not saying to make them cheap. the think is that if a big company like say tamiya made one they can bring the price waaay down because they make them in bulk. i know at my shop we make one sign with our cnc router it cost more then 100 of the same thing by unit.

also i've converted and made a few and i know the price it takes. ok i will give you 1000 dollars, but the 5000 dolor price tag is kind of crazy when you bring it back to real life and think it's a toy truck! and i'm right now looking at a 2003 mazda protege5 online that is 4,500 dollars out the door's .
the think i was saying is that even if you just made a rolling chassie like they do in the "fast" r/c world like touring cars and buggy's they can bring it down. i know and you know
that folks will buld them how they want put there own stuff in them. i've been into r/c models since i was like 8 and this thing about a "nice" r/c truck and tractor just seems funny that they cost so much. even with all the detail and movements, when can go buy a full race touring car with a good radio and motor ,esc and charger and a few other hardware for about a grand . it seem little over priced. i may be wrong but a tamiya TRAILER should not cost more the truck that pulls it! its a trailer see what i mean ?
I totally feel you man but lets remember that many full metal models are made in Europe . Labour is not cheap, worker benefits, government taxes trough the roof , employer healthcare etc etc . Many producers cant afford to make them cheaper.

Now lets also remember that whenever the Chinese come with their own copies or contributions to the hobby, even at cheaper prices we are full or criticisms at them for having less quality and poor Labour conditions.

Just saying.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosworth34677 View Post

Am I being too grumpy to ask people to use spell check and check grammar before posting occasionally? I had to stop reading after the second "sentence" I don't mean this as disrespect just constructive criticism. I find it impossible to decipher a post like this.

Nobody is holding you at gun point to buy any kit on the market. A good percentage of hobbyists can't afford kits like this. Good thing you don't like RC Jets. Construction stuff is dirt-cheap in comparison to the Turbine world.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy View Post
Am I being too grumpy to ask people to use spell check and check grammar before posting occasionally? I had to stop reading after the second "sentence" I don't mean this as disrespect just constructive criticism. I find it impossible to decipher a post like this.

Nobody is holding you at gun point to buy any kit on the market. A good percentage of hobbyists can't afford kits like this. Good thing you don't like RC Jets. Construction stuff is dirt-cheap in comparison to the Turbine world.
man i draw for a living not write! because i suck at it!

im not complaining or even ranting, just looking at the facts, i know that there are tons of people that can't afford these trucks, i try ti state what i see. i will probably make a front end loader and finish making my excavator. but i would be really nice to go to lhs and say " hey phill let get that front end loader next to that traxxas slash, what 500$ cool here the card" instead of saying "man 3000$ wow i can only wish" that's all i'm saying.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Green Horn

Trucker_Jo is on a distinguished road

I am really into mountain biking and most of our nice bikes can cost around 3 grand. People spend 100k on sand toys and quads and stuff for the dunes and ride maybe twice a year. Just like this hobby, its super expensive to do many of the things we can or want to do. I am 17 and cant afford anything I seriously feel you cosworth, because doing anything like this is a huge investment and for most people you have to do that ONE hobby because its what your really into and have that amount of money invested in it. Maybe someday when I get out of school I will be able to actually start playing with real "toys"

Jarrett
Old 01-21-2014, 10:59 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Here's your $750usd basic model (+shipping) & you put your own guts in it.
(read post #37 & 40)
http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...?t=8062&page=2

Joe
Old 01-22-2014, 06:06 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Here's your $750usd basic model (+shipping) & you put your own guts in it.
(read post #37 & 40)
http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...?t=8062&page=2
wow thats not good. like i said i'll just make one.