RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:47 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Barber-Greene Tracked Bucket Elevator - 1946

A while ago I tracked down a 1946 Doepke model #2001 Barber-Greene Bucket Loading Elevator.
As usual mine is a little rough and needed some work, but really it's not too bad for being 74 years old. A couple parts long gone, chain skipped a tooth, many bent and tweaked parts, rusted. I like them a little rough anyway since I'm just "ruining antique toys", not trying to make collectors cry.

I find it's always interesting to look back at some of the older ways of doing things. Ok, I like the old stuff that you can see doing Stuff and Things when its working. Just look at it: spinning wheels, moving chains, buckets, adjustible stuff!

Plus, unlike my Tonka Sandloaders, it's actually taller than my Dumptruck.

It must be safe because this was built before Safety Warnings or OSHA!

https://youtu.be/v26fTGBEi9E

Maybe we'll be Grandfathered into that new 'safety' thing. (But not my grandfathers, i don't think they ever had one of these.)

But seriously, what the heck is it?
https://youtu.be/8eImDhZbVC8

Mine is a first-year model, it once had the rare Swivel Chute. Those broke so fast when new, that the rest of the production run got a Fixed Chute... i made brass replacements.

Let's try moving some dirt with the machine, uh, manually?

https://youtu.be/aX63fqhys3s

I've gathered a 1ch remote latching-relay, some shaft-couplers, replacement chain-idler wheels, gearmotor, brass stock, deans connector, some thin hobby plywood.

--
At one time i believe this tracked toy was likely King of the Sandbox, but even with newer and faster stuff coming on the scene it still greatly impresses me. It just makes people stop to watch.
I know the Doepke #2013 Barber-Greene wheeled loader is also very impressive, and i've only seen pics of the elusive Buddy L "Trenching Machine".

Last edited by frizzen; 11-27-2022 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Shake hands with danger
Old 06-29-2020, 05:10 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Barber-Greene Tracked Bucket Elevator - 1946

Was just looking at one of these that was mounted on a tractor chassis.....it was on FB Marketplace ...just to far to drive for a toy....I'm like you I like doing these older pressed steel conversions, can't wait to see what you do with it.
Saw one of these too.... it would be a great conversion http://www.tnttoytrucks.com/NYCONAWCrane1.html

Last edited by jerry56; 06-29-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:08 PM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road

Watching!
Old 06-30-2020, 03:05 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Glad you guys are interested in the project! I'd also love to find a tractor mounted Barber-Greene, but the price was RIGHT on this one.

So first i made the missing things and got everything mostly straightened and back to smooth running.

Since the stock crank had a 5 tooth cog, i ordered a set of replica 5 tooth 'small chain idlers' for the machine from a toy parts dude on ebay.
After cleaning up the parts, i soldered a brass shaft into that gear, made flats on other end of shaft to take setscrews in motor coupler. Opened up a motor coupler to fit the shaft and gearbox outputs.

Current gearmotor labeled as
Jf-310 12v dc, shenzehn jinlu motor co ltd

Shorter motor i'm also considering
20ga130d012 , dc 12v , 200rpm

Since i only care about turning 1 channel on and off, i wired up a 1a (700mah running) "Mini Relay Wireless Switch 12V 433Mhz Remote Control Relay Switch, Secure 1-Channel Micro Receiver with Transmitter System in Latched Mode DC 3.7V 5V 6V 7V 9V 12V"

To run the motor & rx off the same power supply the wiring is a little different
Red, Yellow to Deans +
Black, New wire to Deans -
Blue to Motor
New wire to motor

Motor runs off of Normal Open and Com relay pins
Red A button turn on, Grey B button off

Then made a motor mount that's basically "this is only temporary, unless it works".

Which brings it to about here

Old 06-30-2020, 09:00 AM
Journeyman

I love it so far, I like the remote key fob....would that work for a fifth wheel to toggle a servo or something. Since you don't need the fifth wheel that often it would save a channel on a transmitter

Last edited by jerry56; 06-30-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

It won't drive a servo. These are just remotely cycling a Relay from 'Normal Closed' to 'Normal Open' connected to COMmon pin.
Although i guess one of these wired for Momentary operation probably 'could' pull a 5th wheel release, but you'd be looking at a toygrade kind of setup. Where a weak spring holds locked and trailer can still bump in, then a string to motor pulls release open?

I only remembered these circuits existing because Jrdido was wanting to figure out how to remotely switch a traffic Arrow Board. Then remembered i have some 15a ones sitting around from another failed project, suddenly i had a plan for this machine.

Anyway, i started digging through parts on hand that didn't work for the intended model and that gearmotor was the biggest that would fit into the engine shroud with a coupling. I'm not sure yet if i can put the rx in the shroud with only the antenna coming out. That'll probably take some range tests to decide.

I'm thinking i'll make a wooden tool or accessory tray between the engine and lift frame to hide the battery under. Maybe put the rx down low on the other side of engine if it can't be heatshrunk & tucked into the engine shroud?

With as much neat stuff is happening on it, I really wanted to keep the models ''magic'' by not showing any of the power mods. I also do not want to do modification or damage that would keep it from going back to just a fun toy if desired.

I might make some wooden walk-boards that mount along side the tracks so i can have an operator standing on the machine, but without having track drive it's not completely needed.

As far as my entire conversion plan, it's nearly down to take better pics, and some videos. Although i'll probably need some tough-up paint, and repop decals to proudly announce it's a Barber-Greene.

Last edited by frizzen; 07-02-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:43 PM
Journeyman

I like it..!!!
I think your walk boards and a wooden box of some kind will look fine, I'm sure back in the 50s contractors and companies made all kind of changes to the basic machine to make it work better for them.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

On another board, i've got some guys trying to convince me it should become even cooler.

Here's what's going on under the machine

The track wheels currently ride on solid rivets. So it'd need an axle adapter thing to attach a bobbin looking wheel to a short gearmotor. Probably need some bushings or sealed bearings. Then mount gearmotor to the track frame. The wheels need drive lugs that span the faces and flush with OD.

This machine weighs close to 10 pounds (4 kg?) only moving at very slow speed, so maybe the smooth steel track pads have enough grip? If not, it's going to need grousers or pins or something added. Not sure if it could crowd the auger into a loose material without spinning, or maybe that would act an overload clutch?

It should be possible to power the tracks on one of these, but it'll probably take more tooling than i've got right now. Hopefully most of the stock parts could work, otherwise you're going to have to change to a chain setup with track pads on like the SmallHaul doepke 'Unit Cable Hoe' conviersion. Or maybe theres a tank that could be a good donor?

Another issue is i'd then have to put a it on atleast a 3 ch radio, either programable with 3 escs, or need like a servonaut tankboard.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:22 PM
Journeyman

Can you some how get a gear on that front axle and make a small plate mount like this one only smaller.
https://rctruckandconstruction.com/s...ead.php?t=2037
Like you said it isn't fast so a large ratio would give you some torque...and since it's only crawling along you might not need bearings..... but I'm kind of new at this so...... I'm not even sure I would worry about making it "steer" just move forward and back....
Old 02-06-2023, 05:48 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Wonder if there might be an easier way to crowd into a pile?

-

Anyway, I finally got the auger on this into some crumb rubber!

A little faster gearmotor would be nice.
It seems to have plenty of power to chew through the rubber, and runs pretty well.

Until it suddenly stopped loading.
My wooden motor mount let go, likely from extra strain of someone "helping" it load faster by dumping handfulls of rubber onto the elevators...

Young operators haven't learned to size the their hauler against the loader available to load it. A person with a Quarry dump truck will get bored waiting on a lower yard machine to fill.

Last edited by frizzen; 02-06-2023 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:51 PM
Journeyman

It would fill my little red Dodge just fine.... another unique piece....
Old 02-07-2023, 09:17 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks jerry,
Exactly. It's enough to fill my 1930s end dump, 1940s belly dump, and 1960s end dump. My scale drivers probably enjoy having a little bit of down time for some coffee, a smoke, looking at a magazine...

This has all kinds of cool stuff to watch doing things.
So far i don't really need to load a whole lot of Yards that fast. That may eventually change if decide to go beyond "a small rc contractor" and pick up something HUGE and off-highway like maybe a Nylint or BuddyL haul truck to abuse. But who wants to fill out all the transport permits for getting those to a job site?
Old 02-07-2023, 09:48 AM
Journeyman

That's the one toy I haven't found, a loader... they made a few but I'm not sure I like the looks of them.... I can do my Speed Swing but it's pretty big.... There are a couple different ones that I may just bight the bullet and make work...
Old 02-07-2023, 12:41 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

It surprises me that you don’t have a 3D printer yet making motor mounts & what not for converting these tin toys to rc, seems like a perfect tool to have for what you’re doing frizzen.

Joe
Old 02-07-2023, 10:34 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yeah, i can't say that i ever cared for the looks of the Pettibone Speed-Swing. the Adams Travelloader was pretty sharp, but huge and not sure how well it might RC. The Loader-Grader with loader bucket on the back looks pretty neat, if its loading height is enough. Ertl had a little Deere wheeled skidsteer loader

Giants, I've thought about getting a 3D printer several times. But i also know several people that already have one, so i can usually find someone with an idle Pooping Robot that can squeeze out a couple parts for me. I really should try to learn CAD. Once calibrated, and fed good files they definately can out build my skills!
(A couple servo mounts for 30s dumptruck, Quadcopter guards, 90% of a Tradesman chassis, narrow WPL axles that didn't print right, a VW engine that still didn't make it into my bus...)

It's been a little rough finding stuff on my Barber-Greene 82-A. These pics show off the comfort and luxury provided to the operator!
No more standing all day swinging a shovel in the sun. You get a walk-board, a metal seat, gauges at eye-level, and plenty of hand controls!

(No, i do not want to build a Barber Greene 848 Mixer to attach and make this into a Travel Plant. Yes, it does look pretty sweet.)

--
Tech Manual
TM 5-1118 for Barber Greene 82-A / 82-AM / 82-AD
https://archive.org/details/TM5-1118/mode/1up

Loader can move up to 3 yards per minute

Last edited by frizzen; 08-22-2023 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Manual