RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Defenders of the land. > Military Vehicles.

Military Vehicles. Trucks/Support Vehicles in here.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Wannabe

kingbob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bob's M1070

I put standard sprung shocks on the rear axle to see how it feels. Definitely works better, the axle freely moves now, but it does sag a little. Depending on what the truck ends up weighing the sag may become an issue, but it will also have another 2 axles to spread the load on, so who knows, might be ok.
Might even be able to find some stiffer springs to put in the shock.

Have also discovered that the small steering arms that mount to the C hub interfere with the tire and wheel. Will have to make some new ones for front and rear.

And the rear tires hit the screw holding the lower link when turned as well. May not be an issue though since the rear wheels steer less than the front.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:14 AM

sassgrunt is on a distinguished road

Bob, I don't know if you have the fifth wheel figured out for your build yet, but I just found this one for mine (which isn't nearly as progressed as yours is).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-14-5th-Whe...item27dce05390

I ordered it about two weeks ago, and just got it in today. It's all metal and pivots both forward-rearward, and left-and-right. The release handle unlatches it well. It comes with a new 'mushroom' for coupling, as it is somewhat smaller than the Tamiya one. I tried making my own out of Tamiya bits, but was never happy with it. This one is really nice, and I'm glad that someone finally made one. Now, if they will only make a sliding fifth wheel.... -Mike
Old 01-11-2014, 07:27 AM
Wannabe

Joe has the same thing, for $30 less! here

And i actually have one of those 5th wheels, but with a different base. I dont plan to use the base though anyway.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:17 PM

It's great to know that I can get it even cheaper than I did, because I need another one for a Scania 8x8. Thank you for the link to Joe. I like your idea of changing out the base, as this one is not nearly tall enough.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:15 PM

Update on the fifth wheel. I ordered the one from Joe and it got to me today. It IS $30 cheaper, but it isn't the same fifth wheel at all. They both sit at about the same height, and are both made of metal. On the one Joe sells, the plate is a bit shorter in length, and most importantly, the plate can only pivot fore-and-aft, like the stock Tamiya one does. There is no spring in the pivot; just the weight of the 'tails' makes the rear of it pivot down. On the one I posted, it can also pivot side-to-side, which is what I want for it to be able to do for an off road truck. Both directions are spring-loaded, so that the tails stay down and the side-to-side comes back to center. Joe's is nice, but not as suitable for off road builds as the more expensive one. -Mike
Old 01-15-2014, 10:26 PM
Wannabe

Ahh bugger. They looked the same but I guess you never can tell.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

Any progress, Bob?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Wannabe

Nah, waiting on parts at the moment.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Wannabe

Sonofa....

Been waiting for Integy to have the matching mid axles back in stock so I can order 2 for the M1070. They've been out for about 3 months and was listed as "Restock pending" for ages. Finally today they were back in stock!

Went to order 2, and blow me sideways, they only had 1!

They make them, they sell them, been out of stock for months, and when they do get them, they only have 1!

*mutters under breath*
Old 03-09-2014, 04:54 AM
Wannabe

Suppose i should make a start on the winch platform for it while i wait for parts.

Knocked up a couple of basic drawings for it so I can work out sizing etc. Have left a lot of the little details like bolts, levers, tow cables, wiring etc. Thats easy to do after the base structure is built.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Wannabe

Aaaaalrighty then, now that Optimus Prime is finished, time to get this sucker going!

Integy FINALLY got some axles back in stock, so the last axle i needed has now arrived.
Brian from Exclusive RC 3d printed some parts i designed, grille, hubcaps, fenders etc. But there were so many little parts i wanted that he'd be doing nothing but printing parts for me, so, i bought my own 3d printer!

I've made a start on printing parts for the winch platform. Not everything will be printed, no need. Some parts will be quicker to scratch by hand than to design and print. The main cab is done, and now i have the ;ast axle i can start placement of the body this weekend.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Wannabe

I've started making the various "blocks" of the superstructure, fuel tank covers, locker boxes, winch platform etc. The hood is assembled, but needs puttying and sanding around seams etc.

The rear steering servo is just taped in at the moment, its facing downwards, but i may move it between the frame rails facing forwards. The tires arent glued yet, so they've a bit crooked at the moment. I do have some other parts for the winch platform made, but not mounted yet.

Long way to go, but a decent start.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Journeyman

Bob! you got 3d printer?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Wannabe

Sure do!
Not using it for everything though. The fuel tank covers for example were quick and easy to make from styrene, but some of the odd shaped things, or repetitive shapes are great for the printer!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Journeyman

I'm thinking of getting one,but hard to decide with whom to go.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Wannabe

I ended up getting a Robo3d, bang vs buck they're hard to beat.

But, ive spent a lot of time tinkering, learning the best way to print different shapes, how to get the best results etc. For example, the hood for the M1070, i did try a single piece print, but for various reasons, i couldnt get a result i was happy with. In the end, i broke the model down into several parts, ie, front, top, sides etc.

3d printers arent at the level of a home inkjet paper printer for example, you really do need to play with them, learn how to work within their limitations, and how to use their strengths effectively.

It helps if you're happy to tinker as well.

Plus of course you have to be willing to create the models for things you want to print. In some cases it takes longer to draw than it would take to scratch build!
Old 11-06-2014, 08:51 AM

jffhrvstr is on a distinguished road

That looks amazing, I can't wait for you to post more pics!!
Old 02-01-2016, 02:13 AM

Bobby is on a distinguished road

Wow, huge truck this is?