RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1/25 6 Axle Lattice Crane

A bit off topic here, but how large is the train layout that we can see in the background of the pics? Also what scale is it? I dabble in N scale trains as well and it's always cool to see other stuff that rc fans are doing

--Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 AM

Southgate is on a distinguished road

Fair enough question, considering the train layout is in most of the crane pictures. It is HO scale, and runs all the way around the room when I put the duckunder across the doorway. The room is about 10x20 feet. The workbenches are under the layout.

Looking at the crane sitting on layout deck;

And below the layout:

I had been working slowly on the RR layout for a few years, but progress halted when I started on the crane 6 years ago, something I've wanted to build since I was about 20. The RR is supposed to be mid 60s on the Oregon coast (where I grew up) Southern Pacific. The layout is in operating condition, but no scenery, obviously. Progress will resume when I fairly complete the distraction at hand. I only model in 1/24-1/25 and 1/87
Thank You for asking. Dan. (other Dan)

PS. I just got home from work where I used their heated space to paint some more on the crane. Most all the styrene bodywork is now painted. I suffered casualties on the earlier painting session. For some unknown reason, some of the LEDs failed in the tail light section. I'm stumped as to why, but I tore 'em all out (it wasn't a pretty picture, I was REALLY mad!)and will wire in new ones asap.

Last edited by Southgate; 01-21-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

What a great use of space!!! I never noticed your workbench under there in earlier pics... I'm bad for tunnel vision.

And you have your dog house in the mix of things too Dan, more quiet time from the wife.

Joe
Old 01-21-2013, 05:37 AM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road

My bedroom used to look like that, mostly workshop with a bed in the corner.
Till I got to know my wife! Ha, ha!
Now I have a corner in the wood shop, which is great, because it far enough away from the house.
Nice toolbox you have sitting there on that chest of drawers!

Kerst
Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Ahh, living the dream! I have always been interested in model railroading and trains, ever since I can remember. I'd love to have a room like that, to build something. Maybe someday! There aren't to many hobbies, greater then model railroading and radio controls trucks/construction equipment. At least not in my opinion! Good to meet another fan of the Espee. Oregon is some beautiful country. I'd like to visit it someday. I can't think of a finer setting for a Southern Pacific layout. Good choice!

LEDs not working - all I can think of is maybe you got some paint somewhere it wasn't supposed to go and it bridged an electrical connection, shorting out some of the LEDs. Most paints do conduct electricity.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 AM

The "dream" room was something I salvaged. It was 10x12, with one open end. I salvaged it and enough material from the same demolition to add 8 feet on to it. The only money I had to spend was for lights and sheetrock. Later I put in the laminate floor.

When I was young, in Coos Bay Oregon, you could still walk around up close to the trains on the tracks and look around. Trains no longer run to Coos Bay, the bridge is delapidated. I live in Bend now, east of the mountains.

As for the crane, the new LEDs will be installed into prepainted boxes on the rear section.
Dan
Old 01-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Amazing work!!! Looks like the crane is getting near being done!! Any videos of it yet or did i miss them?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 PM

Nope, no videos yet. But i have a buddy who's going to help me get some on You tube when it is at least presentable. A link will be posted when ready.I got the cabs and more body work painted last night. Still have way to go; Counterweights, chassis, upper machinery. Outriggers are not near ready for paint. plus fixing the lights. More pictures as progress is made.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:39 AM

Here are the latest pictures of progress. The cabs are painted, along with a few other items.

Lights are working like they're supposed to. The lenses are now added over the LED, and are flush with the body panels, giving the light a wider angle.

I finally got some pictures of how the lights pretty much look...Headlights on

Headlights off

These lights appear more red in person, but this is still the best picture I have of the tail lights so far.

I'm taking this to a model car show in Portland (OR) today. It should behave itself, as everything is working like it's supposed to. We'll see! Dan

Last edited by Southgate; 03-30-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: booboos
Old 03-30-2013, 05:36 AM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road

Looks great!

Kerst
Old 01-16-2015, 06:18 AM

Southgate 1 is on a distinguished road

I haven't been logged in here in a while. I guess I changed my password some time, and I've tried every alternative as well. I had to reregister under a new slightly changed name.

I did figure out how to do a simple video, here's a look at some of the action. Kinda crude, it's all I have.

first ever video, before paint. couldn't load it with old 'puter. Dan

Old 01-16-2015, 07:53 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Looking good Dan.

I changed your password for Southgate & PM'd the password to your Southgate 1 account.

Joe
Old 01-16-2015, 08:20 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

That slews very nicely. Great job.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:34 PM

mcCracken15 is on a distinguished road

You know how good it feels to know someone else live right here in Oregon for a change! I felt like I was the only one! I would love to start hearing about some model shows in portland . It is a 4 hr. Drive for me but would be way worth it. I've been hard at work building ab1/14 excavator and starting on a 1/14 d11 for my brother. I just bought a lathe and mill last year and have learned so much its amazing and I really don't know how I've lived without!
Old 01-22-2015, 02:24 AM

Hey, McCracken, wherebouts in OR are ya? The show I go to about every other year is a model car show, the SABA puts it on. It's not an RC show, but I build 1/25 trucks and cars, and this crane...

I have taken about a couple years off on doing anything with this project other than operate it, but I got busy lately. I tried a 10 lb lift to see what would happen. It revealed some weak points, but did the lift without any damage.

One weak point was the slewing pivot, rather a hub and spindle affair. The spindle was fine, a 1/2 stainless steel bar. There was enough play in the hub part, basically brass tube inserted through the 1 1/4" thick base plate to allow fore and aft rock, thus some interference. It took 10 lbs to reveal that.

So a new hub was turned from thick brass bar and a larger hole drilled to accept it. It is stepped so it looks like it's sitting on top, but it goes all the way down through, and held in with a set screw.

I rebuilt this block too. It needed a stronger hook, so I made a copper one. I'll probably replace it later on with a double hook, but for now this holds with all authority. The thin plates between the sheaves were warped, so I made thicker ones, now the block behaves far more smoothly. That overhaul took most of the day!

Another 10 lb "pick" was done to check out the improvements, and it all works quite nicely.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:22 AM

Here's a little video of the crane raising the boom, gantry and live mast. Clicking on the little x-in-the-box should open it.

Last edited by Southgate; 01-26-2015 at 03:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:25 AM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

Your video of mast raising was great! You have kept faithful to prototypical speeds and it looks just like the real thing.

Awesome job!

Ken
Old 04-06-2015, 04:17 AM

I've been back at work on this thing after almost a 2 year break. I was burned out!

The rim beads were properly shaped, and resin hubs added after the rims were painted. Here's before paint.

I got busy on detailing the outrigger boxes too. Still need some stuff, but they look far better being all closed up.

The gantry weight was increased, this helped in improving it's motion when erecting and lowering, but it also gave far more control to the lines by deepening the sheave slots.

Here, the outriggers, the chassis on the carrier, and the wheels are all painted and assembled.

I have a lot of painting left to do, especially on the details of the upper unit, and it needs some weathering, as it just looks too clean for a big ol' industrial machine. More to come. Dan

Last edited by Southgate; 04-06-2015 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Wrong picture link
Old 04-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Southgate-I know nothing about cranes but this is truly a great model! Excellent craftsmanship, great attention to details, realistic movement. Great work!!!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Apprentice

jack van is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerst View Post
Poor guy!
But great to see some progress on this fantastic model!

Kerst
remind me to NEVER apply for opereator position in your company lol