RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tig welder to purchase.

Cooper That welder I told you about is a 200 Amp if you are going to do 1/2 inch you are going to need a bigger welder than 200 Amps. Ed
Old 02-17-2016, 01:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

So if I wanted to run a bead in this corner where pencil is pointing would I need 300+ amps? This is what I'm trying to guage for what welder to buy. This would be the max stuff I would be welding on alum.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

That 200 amp was good for 1/8 inch aluminum it takes a lot of heat for aluminum and what you are showing would take more than 200 amps I would say more like 300 amps to be safe because you are above 1/2 inch thick and like I said aluminum takes a lot of heat. Ed
Old 02-17-2016, 01:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I have a Lincoln Square Wave 255 I bought it new in 1997 for about $2600 at the time. I added a water cooled Tweco gun about $175 a Lincoln foot pedal about $130 and a Lincoln water cooler ~$500 . I got this right before the inverter type welders took hold. I wish I had one of the inverter type because the SW255 is big and heavy not making it too portable.
This unit works very well. I mainly use it for welding Bronze together. Sometimes Aluminum and steel.
For my every day Aluminum welding, I have two Lincoln InverTec V-350 Pro with Python push pull mig guns. These get pretty pricey I think the last one I bought was around $8000 for the whole setup.

Here's the Tig machine that I have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Squa...kAAOSw34FVCHZU

This is the one I should have bought but I didn't have enough $$ at the time.
The cooler and foot pedal on the top in the picture are the same as mine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Square-Wave-350-TIG-/291673416210?hash=item43e9172212:gu0AAOSwKIpWDmX k

You may find a nice used one at HGR Industrial Surplus hgrinc.com
Old 02-17-2016, 01:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper question wit all that meat why don't you bolt it together with counter sink bolts? That would save you a lot of grief rather than trying to figure out what rod to use what heat range what electrode weather to use just co2 or co2 + nitrogen there is a lot more to tig welding than with just electric welding. There is a way to weld aluminum with a mig welder also. If I were you I would go and talk to a welder like I did or take a class at a welding supply store like Haun Welding Supply there should be one in your area I am still considering that my self. By the way that Eastwood is in PA. Ed
Old 02-17-2016, 01:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

I don't know if you would need 300amps but you have to think about duty cycle. I think my 225 at full power has 20% duty cycle or less. It won't build heat quickly enough to weld that thickness properly. To actually get penetration on 3/4" you need an industrial welder. Just bolt those parts together or you will be spending 6k on a welder...
Old 02-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I would bolt it also. Or, Mig it and grind the weld down smooth. Bring it down to my shop and we can do it for you free.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Reg that is one thing I left out Duty Cycle that is how long you can weld at a certain setting . Ed
Old 02-17-2016, 03:11 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Cooper, I think this will give you a better prospective of what your dealing with!
It's Lincoln"s site for tips. Scroll down to tip 4 and your get a better understanding of why you need more power to weld Aluminum.
Rob

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-ca...qs-detail.aspx
Old 02-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

I bought a Lincoln square wave 200 for Christmas, it's a gateway drug!
Cheers!
Old 02-17-2016, 04:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks steamer will check it out.

Those parts are bolted together, I was just wondering what the abilities of something I get can or can not do. Yea know future unknown projects .
Old 02-17-2016, 06:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
I bought a Lincoln square wave 200 for Christmas, it's a gateway drug!
Cheers!
Lol!! This whole hobby is a gateway drug!! By the time I can retire I may have a full blown machine shop!!!
Old 02-17-2016, 07:38 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Lol!! This whole hobby is a gateway drug!! By the time I can retire I may have a full blown machine shop!!!
I would suggest bolting the thick stuff too!
Cheers!
Old 02-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Tig welder to purchase.

I think all of you guys an girls have put in a lot of great info. Cooper now you have to sort it out.........even my head is spinning The deeper you dig the more confused you get. I spend ten years as a licensed welder and i hardly scratched the surface..........New classes every month, new things/material to learn about, it never ends.......i say go for what your guts tells you an get it done.
And Steve did a nice offer. Life is good.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

A lot of good input, thanks guys!!! Well I've spent most of today looking and learning. So,,, I'm still not sure. Like is said before I want a tig for more precise welding on thin steel. But wanted the capabilities to weld alum. Conflict is I would need big expensive welder for 1/2" and up alum. But that's not a necessity for me as I have been bolting big parts like that together so far. Duty cycles are limited on smaller machines but that's fine cuz I don't really have time limits. I wanted the amps for chunkey alum parts but that want translates into expense. I just can't justify to myself spending over 3k for that ability as I don't really need it. But being able to weld 3/16 and thinner alum is doable for under 2k machine. Again with some limitations. But the primary need is on the steel and even a small cheep machine can do that. So I'm at a toss between a moderately priced quality tigger, weight, and duty. Now I'm leaning towards the inverters vs the Lincoln 225 ( good continuous welding) but big heavy!! Kind of knowing what is really needed for thick alum I don't think I need to go there. Maybe by weekend I'll get to the local welding supply and see what they have. Got a lot to think about and ya all were helpful!! Appreciate it.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks bo!! Now if I could figure out what cnc mill to get this part wouldn't take all day !!

HAHAHAHAH just kiddin !! That's a whole new thread!!!!
Old 02-17-2016, 09:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Go sign up for a night class, at a local college!
Cheers!
Old 02-17-2016, 09:50 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I have a Miller 180... can't really say much more than that about it... I've been practising a little here & there, mostly on 1/16 - 1/8 steel... the biggest hurdle for me atm - not dipping the torch in the puddle, trying to dip the filler rod left handed, balance mostly on my left foot while operating foot pedal with right foot... it's really quite a juggling act!!! I think I need to build meself a sit down welding table so I can better rest my fore arms to be a lot steadier & smoother control of the foot pedal.

I have this haunting feeling that if I don't weld nearly every day, I'm never gonna get any good at it.

Joe
Old 02-19-2016, 01:06 AM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Cooper, I found a welder for you and it's only two blocks from my house!! Be a bit of a haul for you but maybe one of the long haul truckers could pick it up. Great price to for this unit with the bid starting at $150.00 CND. Heck maybe Reg might even want it for that!

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?...1&sf=ferm-clos
Old 02-19-2016, 10:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Wow that's definately gonna glue some thicker alum!!

Well some unexpected things popped up,, our Great Dane (Kane) had an issue with his Colin torsioning ( flipped around in there somehow) so that effectively cut my welder budget in half. . Hopefully he will be fine, got bandages off tonight and is doing well. Time will tell. But that made my decision easier, local supply shop didn't have the Lincoln 200 inverter but got it online from them. And local place has a half arse buyback/trade in something,,, that way if I did in future want to go bigger I could. But for the limited alum I want to do and understanding what is needed to weld thicker aluminum this should be more than enough for me for now. Mainly wanted the precision on thinner steel. But ha all have been very helpful and I appreciate that. Now I'll have some learning on building the 785 bodywork. .