RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 11-05-2014, 02:21 PM

Simon Weel is on a distinguished road
Default RC4WD 4200xl digger questions

So I got myself a 4200xl. And its been sitting on my table for a little over two weeks - the radio didn't work correctly. Last week, I received a new one from RC4WD and so I could finally get going! That's the time for those "Hey, why is this...." questions. So here we go with a couple of those questions and I hope to get some answers.

I switch on the radio, plug in the digger-battery. Switch on the oil pump, and notice it hardly turns. Hmm. Looks like the relieve valve isn't working. When operating the boom, the pump spins up to a decent speed, but as soon as I let go of the sticks, it nearly halts. That's not good, so I switch off the pump. I flip all switches on the radio and when flipping the gear-switch (top front right on the radio), I hear a valve servo move. Turns out this switch controls the relieve valve. When I then switch on the pump, it runs almost ok. But the gear-switch isn't supposed to operate the relieve valve - this is controlled by some mixes on the radio. When I select 'Display' on the radio and move the sticks, the bar for the relieve valve doesn't do anything. When I flip the gear-switch, the bar is permanently on. Also, when the oil pump runs, it speeds up when I move the boom. Rather odd. After some fiddling, I found out I had to reverse AUX for channel 8. Flip the gear switch back and now the pump runs much faster when idling and slows down when moving the boom. As you would expect. I opened up the broken radio and found out the gear switch isn't connected. There are two wires soldered to the middle pin. On the new radio, it isn't?

Next thing is the control style. I swapped the wires for channel 1 and 4 on the receiver to get the CAT / Euro style of control. Now the bucket is operated with the right stick and turning with the left one. Subsequently, I had to reverse the setting for channel 4 (Rud), so moving the stick left will make turn left. And I had to reverse one of the track channels (channel 7 aux in this case) so both tracks move in the same direction when moving the track levers in the same direction. But now, when I plug in the battery, it immediately starts turning? I have to switch on the radio first. No big deal, just something to remind.

Having that sorted out, it's time to do some digging! That is, I have to learn to control it. When operating the boom, I notice it moves a bit slow. No problem for a digger apprentice, but in time I guess you want it to move a bit faster. I notice the radio's E.point for the pump (the first flp) is set to 23%, so it runs on about a quarter of its nominal speed. If I increase the speed, this will increase the working pressure and so the boom will operate more swiftly. Question is: can it handle this increased pressure?

The sticks on the radio. Some movements are quite sensitive and others aren't. I checked the radio's manual for sensitivity settings, but besides being translated to proper Chinglish, it doesn't do much explaining on all it's settings....

That's enough for now, time to practice my digging skills! Speaking of which, is there some kind of manual on how to operate a digger? Or is it just a matter of doing it?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RC4WD 4200xl digger questions

You just have to learn on your own, but it's fun!!
Old 01-24-2016, 08:18 PM

KBS is on a distinguished road

hi I try switching channel 4 and 1 I got my swing to swing on the left joystick but no bucket control what so ever?? also after running it for a while it seem like it has a lose of power on a angle maybe sometimes the arms will barely move n I shut the pump off level it out then seems ok could I be low on oil ? has anyone messed with the pump speed on these for more power. I just got the earth digger would love some tips n pointers!
Old 01-24-2016, 08:59 PM
Wannabe

andyathome is on a distinguished road

check oil level...
pump will make different noise with and without oil.
don't change pump speed, just change end points to adjust boom ect speed.

good luck, its a fun learning curve but you will get there in the end.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:02 AM

does anyone know if I can use hydraulic oil from a local store if so does anybody know the weight. or do I have to order it from rc4wd ????
Old 01-26-2016, 10:54 AM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road

Normally is grade 22 oil used for models as 4200xl, but many have had better success using the more common available, and thicker, grade 32 hydraulic oil in this machine. It has quite 'rough' tolerances regarding machining of the hydraulic components, so a thicker oil can be an advantage regarding reducing leakage
Old 01-26-2016, 12:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Northern Farmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBS View Post
does anyone know if I can use hydraulic oil from a local store if so does anybody know the weight. or do I have to order it from rc4wd ????
I'm using Cat hydo advanced 10 that I picked up from my local Cat dealer. I know it's a more then I need but didn't feel like paying out the arse for a little bottle of hydraulic oil

Old 01-26-2016, 01:34 PM

schmoking is on a distinguished road

i use rando hdz 32 hydraulic oil... you will get 4 liters for the same price as the rc4wd 0,5 liter. but i guess any decent 32 oil would do...
Old 01-26-2016, 01:39 PM
Wannabe

andyathome is on a distinguished road

Motor bike shock oil will also work and it comes in 1 liter bottels
Old 01-26-2016, 01:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

Some info of my .02 $. Again my opinion, not fact.

Oil, I use whatever cheep universal tractor/hydraulic oil, same stuff I use in 1:1 equipment. Been three years in the toys and no problems.

Pump speed, they don't need to be screaming fast. Some people add radio mix to turn up pump speed when radio stick movement is applied. I originally did that, lost all radio settings and didn't want to go through all that programming again. Have pumps on switch then controlled by dial pot to up or down pump speed when I want to. One things with pump and esc is you don't want pump starting from dead to whatever you want but rather have it running like 30% then up to where you want. Reason is that it's more hard on pump motor and esc to start and stop frequently rather than to be running and change speed.
To slow functions (be more smooth and realistic) like said above, adjust end points on servos. That will allow valve to only open so far, impeding volume but not pressure. You get slower movement but still have force.

If you have air in lines movement may be notchy or erratic. If very poor movement you may have a cylinder seal compromised allowing oil to bypass inside of cylinder. Most of the time it's the cylinder seals and not the valve seals. (Unless valves have been taken apart and not working correctly. ) if cylinders drift, valve is not centered.

Depending on what system you use the pressure release valve only comes into use when cylinders are maxed out/in on stroke. Like in the 4200 the 4the valve acts as a bypass. Other systems not having the bypass valve (less complicated) use the prv when idle and when max cylinder stroke. (Or if you hit a big rock!! ). As far a digging force, I'd say if you are able to drag the machine around that's too much. It's a wise idea to get a pressur gauge and actually see what your at. It can be removed after set up.
In my opinion not having any manual is better, then you don't know what people say can't be done and you find a way to do it!!! Necessity is the mother of invention!! Desire is the fundamental of learning!! Lots of good knowledge on this forum, just keep asking and have fun, they are addictive!!!
Old 02-16-2016, 12:00 PM

hey guys could any of u with the 4200xl tell me if their drive motors for the tracks have play in the side to side loose.... if u were to move the sprocket side to side mine have quiet abit of play. is this normal just play in the bearing or???
Old 02-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Green Horn

mcl fabrication is on a distinguished road

I use antifreeze as hydraulic fluid. But not all pumps can from what I've heard. I have been running my loader since 2012 with no pump problems. still running strong and perky. I'm using Magoms first intergraded pump and tank combo, square tank.