RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 06-17-2014, 11:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Did some more work on the dump body and lift. The servo I purchased was a L16 50mm stroke and 63:1. I'm just not that confident of how much this can lift. Options are, I may get the 150:1 actuator that will have more torque/force. (Newton meters or whatever it's rating science is . I need to figure box size and weigh amount of dirt for the volume. That way I'll know before I get too far into it. I was looking at a way to increase the initial couple inches of travel. That is the most demanding part of the stroke. I had some cheep clamps laying around that I pulled the springs out of. I'm using them at the back pivot to help unweight the load. They apply most of the force from all the way down and then gradually let off. Just what I was looking for. I have two installed and a place for third if needed. The empty box will still have enough weight to settle down.

That is one of the larger springs. I have two of the smaller one installed.

And if needed they can be cut down so nothing protrudes. Even if they are left that way none of that area in in conflicting with other things.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 PM

Blender is on a distinguished road

Well done. Excellent use of torsion springs.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Green Horn

avel is on a distinguished road

I have been thinking about the same thing, adding springs to help with that first part of the lift. Nice to see someone else doing it.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:10 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Slick idea with the springs...

Joe
Old 06-19-2014, 11:18 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

Great idea. Wish I thought of that a long time ago.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

This is what I may turn the 4200 into. Looks most like this.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:54 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

some ideas - comments

do you have enough room for 2 firgelli side by side?

also - go with 3 springs - maybe the firgelli can pull the box down
Old 06-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Izzy, I may shorten the arms, it has more than enough dump angle. Probably about 80 degrees. I think most of the lift weight is my lack of correct placement and location of lever forces. My redneck engineering may need altered a bit .

Here's a vid of the d11. Sorry about the aspect, I'm still learning on these darn electronic devises. I'm use to carburators not computers!!! Ya know when things were fixed with tools not laptops . Anyway it will get better. Have about 6 hours or more on the d11 and no problems. Running at 20 bar (need that for the tilt cylinders).
http://youtu.be/u3p1UB7QO_E
Old 06-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Ok I need to do some work on the 4200. Leaking cylinders are down to just the bucket. I may take apart again. I think the pump is leaking, kept noticing oil inside. That may also be from some spitting out the vent fitting they use. But I had a towel stuffed around that so I'm pretty sure it's something in pump. In the pic there is oil everywhere but that is because I tried to jockey up onto two 4x4s and forgot about the tank and breather- didn't have the hydraulic power to lift itself- because I emptied the hydro dank!!! Lol!!!' Just going to do some revamping for now. Wintertime will get a whole new machine.

Going to eliminate the on/off switches for drive and turntable esc's. No need for um. Add filters. Re rout hoses to be more finger friendly. Possibly make a new tank but at least get rid of the vent. Not eliminating it but changing or running a hose to outside at least. Possibly relocating everything to help battery placement. And making some sort of user friendly hood. Oh and adding some on/off switch , possibly consield in cab. I have anniversary this weekend so I have about two weeks before she needs to be running.

The dump truck project has become a filler job
Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

My whole life I've been concerned with scratching the paint, but now I'm proud to have scratches and paint worn off!!

And I have to make some new pins for boom and arm. These keep coming loose. They have threads into both sides and I don't want to over tighten them to make disassembly trouble.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Question for you guys, this is the pump set up they use,

It is four valves. But only three active cylinders. And the way they have it plumbed. Are they using the first valve to deadhead the pump and then mixed with other valves when input applied to sticks? I don't know much about these but that's not how I did the dozer. Would it hurt this style pump to change around to prv being the deadhead and then gaining another valve for say a thumb? And if so what advantage is this configuration? Or is a disadvantage ?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the excavator Ralph. I've got about 5 hrs total run time on mine and all has been good. Cylinders dry and no leaks in the body. I did have my first hiccup yesterday. The relief jammed and suddenly had so much power the stick function pulled the whole machine like there was nothing to it! After it cooled down things went back to normal.

Anyway, I'm a little embarrassed I never noticed myself but after seeing your post, what the heck IS the 4th valve for?

I'm off to the basement......

Mario
Old 06-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Green Horn

avel is on a distinguished road

Easy way to find out would be to disconnect the pump and watch the servo's as you operate the hydraulic controls.

Have you had a gauge hooked up to check your operating pressure?

Also, on the RC4WD site they have the Pressure Relief Valve for sale but the specs have it only going to 72.5PSI. But the info sheet for the excavator says it operates at 290PSI.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:13 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Apparently the purpose of the 4th valve is to redirect oil straight to the tank if no other valve movement happens. It keeps the oil from travelling thru the prv causing the pump motor to strain unnecessarily - conserves battery amperage.

Joe
Old 06-23-2014, 11:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The valve that the pressure enters has a mix to activate it with each of the other valves. Must have it slightly open as you can see fluid flowing when no stick movement with pump running. I'm assuming the mix opens the (input) valve more as the other valve activates. ?!?? If that servo is disconnected and not working then the hydraulics don't work. Unless the ports on the inside are different I don't see why it couldn't be optioned to re plumb / re radio mix and end up with a forth valve for attachments (thumb)?? I don't know how far I will explore this at this time but if unanswered by winter I'll find out. . Wonder if anyone else knows how this works or why they choose to run this way. To me it seems like more work all the way around and harder on the pump. Unless ,,,,,, maybe it is acting like the prv only diverting flow until stick input is required then pressurizing and then relying on the prv to handle excess pressure? That seems logical. That make some sense to me with being able to see the flow in the clear lines.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Apparently the purpose of the 4th valve is to redirect oil straight to the tank if no other valve movement happens. It keeps the oil from travelling thru the prv causing the pump motor to strain unnecessarily - conserves battery amperage.
Wish I would have refreshed before I just posted that!!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

And speaking of battery life, I timed the dozer over the weekend. Had 1hour and one min on an 8.4 amp battery!! (8400mah) still had 13% left!!! Was running ripping and long passes.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well just got back home and found a solution to my hydraulic leak,,,

Lol!!! Stoped at a civil war relic place (yea I know , I didn't think they had frag granades back then either). Lol. Just couldn't resist getting some to throw at my vet buddies!!!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Lol..Looks like a very good solution..Im sure with some upgrades you will end up with a great machine ..With your skills I can see a complete set of new cyclinders in the works if need be..

Thats awsome runtime with the dozer ..Yes an awsome build for sure
Old 06-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Lol, thought somebody would get a kick out of that . This forum is and has been a wealth of good information!! Ya know I've been "tinkering/improving" things all my life and yet have had a chance to purchase anything that I deem as perfect . Not complaining as I have purchased many things good and things cheep. Like some tools, cheep tools for the shop but good lasting quality expensive for the home (or my no one else touch) toolbox. And if I'm ignorant or not sure how much use something will get then then I usually get the less expensive to get by stuff. As far as the 4200, I think it's a pretty good platform, mind the price. Sure I wish I would have got my top pick of a funmotec ex, but twice the price too. And from what I've been gathering bits and pieces of all of these priceless "toys " need some personalization. Not complaining about anything as I'm rather grateful that I have the ability to be able to sit in my umbrella covered lawn chair with arm rest holder containing a ice cold beer while running some heavy equipment to do the yard work. Just need to time the pee break with battery swapping. Lol!!!!
Yes, Lou, come winter I plan on some more personalizing, new cylinders, metal hoses, shrinking cab to be more 1:14 scale, bucket, track motors, engine hood, decals,,,, ya know stuff to make the customers feel as though I know what I'm doing with their money

This is what I've been working on, it's the waterfall box from fish pond fill in project. It's rather fulfilling doing the work with these toys. At first I was thinking, boy this is going to take a long time to do. But now I've found it rather relaxing after work to come home and "work" some more. And now I look at it as boy I hope I don't get it done too quick!!!