RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

pictures big or small are better then no pictures!!
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Very nice work steve! I remember this from the garden site but I don't think it was finished. Did you cut these gears?
I bought all the gears but the two smaller pinions are cut from 12'' pcs of gear stock so I can make them the way I want. I think I've mentioned in the past but I think there's around $100+ buying the worm & the other gears. I even put a tiny thrust bearing on the end of the worm. Right now I'm working on the mount for the motor I'm going to try. After testing it and getting a RPM of the winch drum, I running about 30ipm and that should take only 6-7 minutes to boom up or down.

Stuff:
The pictures were resized too big by accident.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I got some more done with the boom hoist and some on the base of the boom where it attaches to the revolving frame.
Motor pinion

Boom hoist worm gear and a graphic of it on the monitor on my mill.

Cutting mounting plates

Old 10-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Very nice steve! I don't understand the monitor thing or the brass plates, but I like the work it's doing! Be interesting to see the finished parts.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Steve , how long did it take to mill the worm gear ? will you have the boom ready for january ? I'm on the push to get the pan running for cabin fever

IHSteve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tom, the graphics are a tool path simulation before actually turning on the spindle so I can check to see if there's any weird moves I've screwed up on while programming.

Steve, I bought the gear. I just wanted to dress it up to look like the 1:1 version. But that took 2hrs to do.Look at the picture in a previous post. I'm just trying to get moving on the boom. Soo much more design to do then get real good at silver soldering
I think I have all the metal needed now but I'll have to get about 200' of cable to reeve it up but before that's done I have to remove the "A" frame and machine the holes for the sheaves up there. It would be a miracle if the boom is finished.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:45 PM

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Steve , in that 2 hrs , how much tool time and how much program time ? If the fund don't come in time then I'll be making everything for the hydros cept hose , fittings and seals . hydros put me back last year but not now with a mill in the shop even if it's a toy it still makes life easier . I looked at some of those booms on stripmine I can see that taking some time and a few more grays on the chin

IHSteve

Old 10-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The program only took about 5min but getting in the old mill didn't work. I was trying to rotate the pie shape on the mill but it didn't work. Long story. After a couple trips back and forth to the computer I figured it out. Now that I think of it maybe 3hrs in all I took small cuts because I didn't have a good hold on the gear and if it got ######up I would be out some $$$ If it was held better I could hog that out in an hour. The 6 plates took about 50min.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:25 PM

I was just trying to figure times , I'm trying to get a hold of a cnc bp missed out on one that had the phase converter with it . went for $2555.00 nice shape to I'll just keep trying . it's hart braking seeing nice machines for a good $ and not having the $ when you need it

IHSteve

Old 10-02-2010, 10:19 PM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about

That is some beautiful work Steve, I can only dream of doing that kind of stuff.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Wow, that wheel looks so much better when milled, guess you have to run the machine without any superstructure on it. when milling in brass, how much do take in each pass?
Guess that with the time spent in machine, it would be max 1/16. Will it be milled all way?

I have a RF35 milling machine, do you know of any good and cheap conversions for CNC. Guess that most CAD program can export right format to the CNC. When I draw for laser cutting most companies want DXF files.

my hat of, Steve, looking forward for progress.
Dan
Old 10-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Wow, that wheel looks so much better when milled, guess you have to run the machine without any superstructure on it. when milling in brass, how much do take in each pass?
Guess that with the time spent in machine, it would be max 1/16. Will it be milled all way?

I have a RF35 milling machine, do you know of any good and cheap conversions for CNC. Guess that most CAD program can export right format to the CNC. When I draw for laser cutting most companies want DXF files.

my hat of, Steve, looking forward for progress.
Dan
What do you mean by no superstructure? I have a good bit of it complete. I still need to make the rest of the diagonal bracing up there though. As far as how big a cut I just go easy on parts that could be trashed easily. I used a carbide .125'' dia. endmill so you have to go easy. Look at the mill control graphics and you see I took .025'' each lap around the shape. I also went to depth in 4 passes to .150''. My Cam program is a older version of BobCad Cam. I have a newer version but don't like it.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Steve, what I ment was it´s a shame to cover all this beautiful machinery covered up with sheet metal. You have put so much work into it so it has to be seen. Maybee a removable roof?
Here´s a pic from HCEA2008
It must have taken lot of hour milling out those sides

is it same type of control on the drums as this old model but with r/c servos?
Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Oh, I'm going to cover only half of the machine-The cab side. Yes I'll leave some of the roof open and the left side and I'll have lighting inside. I still need to make the big supports for the walking bearings that go into the roof and I have to make the curved roof trusses. The 3 motors are controlled with 100VDC regenerative drives similar to the 1:1 but solid state. The rc part was a real learning experience. When I have all that 100% I'll show more detail on that. I'm still on the trial and error method I'll have to post some of my progress from this past weekend on the boom.
I would love to have that stiff leg derrick toy that guy had at the show. I forgot to take some pictures of it like you did.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Here's some progress on the boom.
Fixture for side of first section.

This is the first piece of tube cut and notched of hundreds

Checking for fit.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

Looking good Steve!

Great idea on the fixture to make it.

"No load is too Small"
Old 10-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Craftsman

Steve-I cannot even imagine how long that is going to take but you will be rewarded. It should look "outta this world"!!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Craftsman

Steve-you may already have a plan for your silver soldering but I thought I would mention this. I had a lot of problems soldering joints close to each other. The heat would melt the joints loose. If you are soldering both inside & outside of the boom this may be a problem. I found this stuff after I had finished my project but it looks like it will do this job. It is called "cool blue" heat paste and it seems pretty amazing. They have some videos of it being used and you might want to check it out. It is pricey but you can re-use it many times. Here is a link-
http://www.muggyweld.com/hpclip1.html
Old 10-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road

great work! very inspiring!

thanks for sharing,
Kerst
Old 10-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Kerst..

Tom, I've heard of heat blocking putty. I think we tried that 25yrs ago but we never needed it for our work but like you said; It may come in handy for the intricate work on the boom. I have a tiny jewelers torch if my resistance soldering setup doesn't work. I hope with the resistance machine it will locate the heat right where I need it.
Something I noticed with the closeup picture that's hard to see without glasses is the tube bends up on the ends. My slitting saw needs to be a couple thousandths wider. My milling was on the big side of my intended size because trying to mill those long pieces,it's hard to hold straight and no deflection. I would love to have a vice setup with 32'' long jaws but I never built one.

Last edited by 9W Monighan; 10-05-2010 at 12:31 PM.