RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Welcome New Members

Welcome New Members A place to introduce yourself to the membership.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Green Horn

ekim is on a distinguished road
Default Uber Newbie From Idaho

Well, after much anticipation and waiting a few days for the approval to participate in the forum, I am happy to introduce myself. My name is Michael and I am from the warm state of Idaho (atleast today that is..) I have dabbled a bit in RC in the past in the aero then boat phase and it was to no avail as children proved to be a bigger priority for me. Now that I am a Grand father and the kiddo's are moving on... I am ready to return. A very brief history for you gentlemen.... 15 year Navy Vet...3 years as a mainline pipelayer and now I have the fabulous privelidge of being this cities Collections system superintendent..... Yeah,,, yeah ... I am in charge of the POO!!!!!!! that being said I am extremely interested in starting again in the construction aspect of this hobby. Truck, ecavator, wheel loader... I am hoping to learn enough from you guys to help soften that blow... As I have read the last few days it would seem there will never be a lack of knowledge available to me as you fellows are resident experts in many ways. As for now thank you for this forum as it may get me to where I want to be. Looking forward to speaking with many of you in the future.

Michael (ekim)
Old 01-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Green Horn

crisis time is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Uber Newbie From Idaho

Welcome Michael from one newbie to another.
There are some awesome builders on here and so much to learn

Good luck with your builds

Ian
Old 01-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

Welcome Michael. Lots of reading to catch up on with all the threads. Good luck.

Greg
Old 01-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Green Horn

Thanks Fellas... I have so much catching up to do. Not sure to find a build to do for my first out of the gate stuff.... or find a good deal from some of the folks on here if I am patient enough or bit the BIG bullet for a RTR..... the only problem with that is the RTR route will probably get me DOA from the house commadant!!!! Thanks for the welcome all.. Have a good night

Michael (ekim)
Old 01-07-2014, 12:10 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard!
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Uber Newbie From Idaho

Welcome Mike

Go for a kit is my advice... You'll learn the truck inside/out and you know what make 'er tick (so to speak) Not to mention that you'll take pride in a build of your own.

Once you get started, take some pic's and post 'em on the site. As you've probably noticed, we (as a group) love photos . And you know we'll answer any questions that you have.

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Green Horn

Thanks RTC, that would seem to be the best option I think.

Michael (ekim)
Old 01-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Craftsman

Smiley is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum

Keith
Old 01-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the family !

I agree with RCT. I started with a kit . It was all that I learned from my first basic truck ,and this forum, that gave me the ability and confidence to build a more custom rig.
When you do build your own custom truck I think due to your line of work, maybe a honey wagon would be appropriate?

Mario
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Green Horn

LOL Super a honey wagon would be a wild choice.. but I am thinking maybe a Vactor (hydrocleaner).... That would be huge endevor with all the working parts and reels etc....... HHHMMMM now you have me thinking..... Thanks for the advice. Thank you all for the welcome!

Michael (ekim)
Old 01-09-2014, 03:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

welcome micheal and please be sure to post pics of your builds ..i second and third that statement ..i started out with a kit ,it does familiarize yourself with the workings of these trucks and ? it is a big bonus because you built it,you will be able to service it and repair it .if you get stuck we are all here to help and someone will chime in that has experienced your problem or at least knows how to help you correct it
Old 01-09-2014, 03:31 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

Welcome aboard Michael. I would agree and also disagree with the buying of a kit. I think it first depends on your abilities. If you can build things and you don't want "Normal" then I don't believe you really need a kit. I can tell you from experience money wise it pretty much comes out even whether you buy a kit or parts. I started simply with a King Hauler cab that a friend gave me and went from there. I made just about everything on my truck that is not metal or aluminum. For those things that are metal, I had them ALL custom made by members of this forum. Except for my shocks, I made them... Now some would say that I went a little overboard on my truck, I could have bought three kits with what I have spent on it so far and it's nowhere near done yet. My point being that if you can build it, and you want a "Custom" truck in my opinion buying a kit is a waste of cash because you won't use a bunch of it, but on the other hand what you don't use you could always sell on here or ebay.

Any way, Welcome and take the time to look around the forum a bit, pay close attention to the "Vendors" section. That is where you will find the custom parts and they are all made by OUR members not out side sellers.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 AM
Green Horn

Thanks Mike. I may error on the side of cuation and go with a kit. But I am confident that I can get anything I need form these site and the fellas here. As I am planning on a excavation style hobby line I should build a dump first I think then on to the more advanced stuff.... thanks MIke

mike
Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Welcome! Kits are a great way to learn the truck. if you are going the dump route the king hauler is the best imo for frame length. From there you will at least have a rolling chasis that you can turn into anything.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Green Horn

Thats the stuff I need to know as well Dabears thank you. King Hauler it is then... I like options.....not as bad as my wife but I llike options.

Michael (ekim)
Old 01-25-2014, 12:53 AM

Ekimjr is on a distinguished road

Hey dad I found that your kits is probably best for you as I will be needing your patients of helping with my build
Old 01-25-2014, 08:33 AM
Green Horn

Well son... I will have all the patience in the world to help you....but I am a thimking you will require some on your end too. I am sure without any doubt that the worst thing you can do with a scratch.build is force yourself to rush...........

Michael (EKIM) AND DAD LOL
Old 01-25-2014, 08:39 AM
Green Horn

Well son... I will have all the patience in the world to help you....but I am a thimking you will require some on your end too. I am sure without any doubt that the worst thing you can do with a scratch.build is force yourself to rush...........

Michael (EKIM) AND DAD LOL
Old 01-25-2014, 11:15 AM

Ekimjr is on a distinguished road

Oh yea I'm sure your are correct as usual. Got some tide bits on some 3d printing last night for my truck.... Thanks every one for looking after us newbies