RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Welcome New Members

Welcome New Members A place to introduce yourself to the membership.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:05 PM

Jakyat is on a distinguished road
Default WHO'S THE NEW GUY?

Hello all,
I'll introduce myself as Jake. In a sense , I'm a newbie, however I have built a high end 2,2 crawler from scratch. I'm coming into this hobby again to attempt a 420" W/B 8X8 KW C500 bed truck. Being that I have spent the last 25 years working around oilfield transportation equipment, and the fact that I am a little crafty, I just may get lucky.
I'm hoping I can barter some of my equipment knowledge ideas for some help with resources from some of you guys.
I've purchased a king hauler as a base just to see how these things are put together. I am already trying to source out diffies, frame rails, and suspension. I'm interested in the rc4wd Blackwell diffs.
Definitely interested in any leads,suggestion or such to help getting this build going.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: WHO'S THE NEW GUY?

Welcome to the forum.

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 01-26-2014, 01:59 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WHO'S THE NEW GUY?

Welcome aboard!
Cheers, Neil.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:01 AM

Thank you RCT.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:04 AM

Can anyone tell me about the rc4wd blackwell drive axles. How well do they work? How well do they fit in the king hauler? What are the pros and cons?
Old 01-26-2014, 02:54 AM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site.... You will like it here

Regarding diff set up...The easy way to lock the diff is to put the 3 sun gears all in a row so they can't turn. It locks the axel solid. I leave the front open and rear rear locked for better traction yet it will still turn.

Frame rails are fairly easy, eBay and guys on here sell blanks...

Suspension you have some options from simulated air ride to heavy spring. In my opinion springs will give you much better off road traction due to they have more articulation...
Old 01-26-2014, 08:47 AM

Nice to meet you Neil!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmackattack View Post
Welcome to the site.... You will like it here

Regarding diff set up...The easy way to lock the diff is to put the 3 sun gears all in a row so they can't turn. It locks the axel solid. I leave the front open and rear rear locked for better traction yet it will still turn.

Frame rails are fairly easy, eBay and guys on here sell blanks...

Suspension you have some options from simulated air ride to heavy spring. In my opinion springs will give you much better off road traction due to they have more articulation...
This is good!! I appreciate this info.
So, in my case, I intend to run a tandem steer, tandem drive axles. All axles will be driven. You are suggesting to just lock the rear/rear? In scale this unit will be about 34 inches long with about 30" from trunnions to trunnions. How will this thing behave with all drive axles locked? Will it turn properly? Or is it just gonna load up and have adverse effects?

Also, in real life, this truck would be able to carry loads in access of 100,000 lbs on the bed without the use of a trailer. It would have a. Rigid walking beam suspension to handle these weights. Is or has there been anyone with walking beams? How would the heavy spring suspensions that are available work with say 20-25 lbs put on them?
Old 01-26-2014, 02:35 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I just ordered the Blackwell axles earlier this wk, never had them before. The 3.75 ratio looks appealing for use with larger diameter tires. What Lmack was saying to lock an axle is for the axles that come with the trk kit, these blackwells I'm not sure if they even have a differential in them... I lyk when they show up in a few wks.

I also got these servo lockable axles in the order to try out as well, see if they can take the long term heavy pulling better than the current stock trk axles.
http://store.rc4wd.com/Scale-Semi-Tr...al_p_2891.html

I usually lock the rearmost axle & leave the rest open. Locking them all would eventually cause a lot of problems, especially if trk was loaded down most of the time. Shoe Goo added to the inside of differential works pretty good for a limited slip action, and I add it to the front powered steer axle.

The stock trk springs don't carry much weight before the frame is resting on the axles, although that doesn't seem affect articulation of the axles too much through uneven terrain.

Joe
Old 01-26-2014, 03:29 PM

I am very interested in your findings with the blackwell's. I too am interested in the locking diffs that you are referring too. I have also seen them in aluminum. It's a toss up right now between the two. As I had mentioned, this is my first truck build. I need too be patient, wait for my king hauler to arrive, and go from there. I have another deciding factor with purchasing axles as well. It's my wife!!! Lol!! She is still a little furious about the truck purchase. Shell get over it!

Thx for the reply.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:46 PM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c...&v=3AeJF_hSk84
This is a video of one of our trucks. We have a fleet of 22 oilfield trucks. Some are bigger than this, but don't have front wheel assist. This truck is strictly off road. Our others are street legal. See our website www.titanshl.ca for more pics
Old 01-26-2014, 03:50 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I don't have one them purchasing limiting factors.

Joe
Old 01-26-2014, 03:55 PM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u464fVCA-uI
Another interesting video for anybody that has interest in oilfield trucks
Old 01-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Wannabe

pumptech is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum ,those are some awesome trucks ,thanks for sharing the vids ,I also am a fan of oilfield equipment ,work in the oilfield myself ,what part of world are you from ? here's a link to my build ,oilfield king hauler http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=4293

Hope to see your build soon ,post plenty of pics ,lol !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Apprentice

cabs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakyat View Post
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c...&v=3AeJF_hSk84
This is a video of one of our trucks. We have a fleet of 22 oilfield trucks. Some are bigger than this, but don't have front wheel assist. This truck is strictly off road. Our others are street legal. See our website www.titanshl.ca for more pics
Thanks for the video. Looks like a fun job, wish I lived closer
Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptech View Post
Welcome to the forum ,those are some awesome trucks ,thanks for sharing the vids ,I also am a fan of oilfield equipment ,work in the oilfield myself ,what part of world are you from ? here's a link to my build ,oilfield king hauler http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=4293

Hope to see your build soon ,post plenty of pics ,lol !!
Thanks for the reply......I am in Edson Alberta Canada.
WOW! I have checked out your build once already. Very cool! Is that rigging made out of steel, or aluminum? Mig weld or ???? Looks great!!!!
I'm a couple weeks away from pics, but I will definitely start a thread whith pics when I'm there.

Last edited by Jakyat; 01-26-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:09 AM
Wannabe

pumptech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakyat View Post
Thanks for the reply......I am in Edson Alberta Canada.
WOW! I have checked out your build once already. Very cool! Is that rigging made out of steel, or aluminum? Mig weld or ???? Looks great!!!!
I'm a couple weeks away from pics, but I will definitely start a thread whith pics when I'm there.
Hey thanks Jakyat ,its all mild steel metal , used the mig welder